Page 506 of 507 FirstFirst ... 6406456496504505506507 LastLast
Results 7,576 to 7,590 of 7600

Thread: Shoes

▄bermensch

Default Re: Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    Why are you so passionate to push Nike
    For me personally, i've worn Nikes since I was a nipper, and always thought they've been the longest lasting and comfiest trainers.

I don't feel that I 'push' Nike, but I do genuinely think they are the best skate shoes. I wore them before skate shoes were a thing, and I still wear them now. I've tried most other brands over the years (well, I never tried Pacer Hogs but I did get called a 'spaz' at school because I had a pair of Etnics), but always find myself going back to Nikes. For chillers or skate shoes.

They've always gotten a lot of hate, but they've been involved in skating for a very long time now and everything is still fine. We're all still here, and skateboarding is doing okay.

I'm all for supporting a new skater-owned brand but 9 times out of 10 they just turn out to be a bit shit. Like they don't last, or they're not as comfy, or just not as good. Or they look like pigs. I fancy trying a pair of Proper and State though, those look good in pictures.

I never got on with Accels. Circa, DC, Supra etc always too chunky. Vox, 88, Aldio, Fallen all okay but not great. Lakai aren't bad, DVS were good - I had a load of MJs and Stealth. I also like Vans and Converse a lot. And Clarks make very very good shoes. But I find Nike to be consistently the comfiest, and best in general.

(re: adidas, I'm a bit meh about adidas in general, though obviously it's a brand with a rich heritage and there have been some crackers, I recently pulled some pristine brown suede SL76 out from the back of the cupboard, proper steezy, as worn by Keith Richards and Bruce Lee, cmoafuckingc)

Also I just got some NB Numeric for the first time, they are a bit stiff so I'm chilling in them for a while, I'll report back later.

▄bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hadenough View Post

They've always gotten a lot of hate, but they've been involved in skating for a very long time now and everything is still fine. We're all still here, and skateboarding is doing okay.
    Apart from the skate shops they fucked over, I'm fairly sure they don't engage in that stuff now though and I'll still buy their shoes but to pretend everything has been fine with their involvement is a little off the mark.

That said, I remember resenting the more established skate shoe brands for a while when I first skated the P-Rod as the build quality was just so much higher so I felt I'd been had by those companies before considering you often had to pay ú80-90. Thank god those days are over.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    to pretend everything has been fine with their involvement is a little off the mark
    I didn't say everything has always been fine, I said everything is fine now. And other brands besides Nike have fucked skate shops over, Nike are not unusual in this. And I worked in a skate shop many years ago, which did very well thanks to the Nike on the shelves. Apart from the stinkers of course, nobody was buying Team Editions in Green/Obsidian in a size 12 .

I didn't say everything has always been fine, I said everything is fine now.
    That's my point though, right now we have less skate shops as a result, so even if it no longer happens the effect is still evident.

▄bermensch

I wouldn't blame Nike for us having less skate shops right now, there are a few other factors at work

I wouldn't blame Nike for us having less skate shops right now, there are a few other factors at work
    So they weren't responsible for a few of the big ones closing up due to all those minimum orders? I understood that they were blamed directly in some cases?

I'm glad that no longer happens and I'm also glad that people aren't feeling like they have to be ripped off in order to get decent skate shoes any more so there's been good and bad.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    So they weren't responsible for a few of the big ones closing up due to all those minimum orders? I understood that they were blamed directly in some cases?
    Yeah. Fair enough. Although like I say, I personally saw the other side of it, in that having Nike on the shelves brought money into a skate shop when it wasn't coming in otherwise. And also, Nike weren't alone in being unfeeling corporate bastards, most brands (that make any money) can get quite good at that.

▄bermensch

Just realising I'm getting all caught up in a standard Nike/skateboarding argument, when all I was trying to say was that their shoes are the best.
    I still believe that - I never said that they weren't cunts. I also like The Beatles, and they were all cunts, except George.

Yeah. Fair enough. Although like I say, I personally saw the other side of it, in that having Nike on the shelves brought money into a skate shop when it wasn't coming in otherwise..
    Wasn't the year they started SB one of the most profitable for skate shops ever? Not sure I could get behind the idea of them coming in and rescuing skate shops but some definitely did alright out of the sneakerhead boom emerging from all those limited Dunks, it just came back to bite them later on.

Just realising I'm getting all caught up in a standard Nike/skateboarding argument, when all I was trying to say was that their shoes are the best.
    I still believe that - I never said that they weren't cunts. I also like The Beatles, and they were all cunts, except George.
    Very well put! They'd be one of the first brands I'd look at for a new skate shoe, especially if they were on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    Why are you so passionate to push Nike and adidas?
    Nike and adidas have been making the best shoes for the 30-odd years I've been able to buy them.

Anyway adidas seem to be much worse than Nike to skate shops tbf. And generally overall, their skate side seems like a little bit of a mess.

Administrator

Nike also has the # cringe aspect too which has been discussed on here many times before.
    Not the riders as such, more so the wider related people who post stuff with constant in-jokes etc etc.

For me personally, i've worn Nikes since I was a nipper, and always thought they've been the longest lasting and comfiest trainers.

I don't feel that I 'push' Nike, but I do genuinely think they are the best skate shoes. I wore them before skate shoes were a thing, and I still wear them now. I've tried most other brands over the years (well, I never tried Pacer Hogs but I did get called a 'spaz' at school because I had a pair of Etnics), but always find myself going back to Nikes. For chillers or skate shoes.

I'm all for supporting a new skater-owned brand but 9 times out of 10 they just turn out to be a bit shit. Like they don't last, or they're not as comfy, or just not as good. Or they look like pigs. I fancy trying a pair of Proper and State though, those look good in pictures.

I never got on with Accels. Circa, DC, Supra etc always too chunky. Vox, 88, Aldio, Fallen all okay but not great. Lakai aren't bad, DVS were good - I had a load of MJs and Stealth. I also like Vans and Converse a lot. And Clarks make very very good shoes. But I find Nike to be consistently the comfiest, and best in general.

(re: adidas, I'm a bit meh about adidas in general, though obviously it's a brand with a rich heritage and there have been some crackers, I recently pulled some pristine brown suede SL76 out from the back of the cupboard, proper steezy, as worn by Keith Richards and Bruce Lee, cmoafuckingc)

Also I just got some NB Numeric for the first time, they are a bit stiff so I'm chilling in them for a while, I'll report back later.
    picked up some state tkfs a while back in a rollersnakes sale. heres what they were like after a month of fairly solid sessions

impressions; really comfy shoes in general, insoles provide decent cushioning but dont compromise boardfeel. suede feels good, shape of the shoe is decent and flicks well. bottom lace loops take a beating but not too bad, on the third lace this month.

construction wise ehh; mine blew out a little bit on the lace loops which isn't too bad however my friend whos skating the same pair diff colourway also blew out on the seam itself within a week leading to a pretty huge crevice on the side of the shoe as you can see here - small picture from insta screengrab but its a pretty huge hole and he reckons it's made the shoe feel alot floppier than it should be:

overall i'd say if you can get them on sale like we did maybe check them out but i probably wouldnt wanna pay full price for em (the salems anyway, cant comment on any other State models)

I'm up for trying some State's if I can get these on sale:

Initiate

I just don't like how the soles felt so heavy and didn't flex all that well, and that there aren't any tongue stabilisers. I had two pairs of Elgins and one pair of the Salems.

My other gripe is how the tread ends up being littered with little stones, leaving grip with scratches all over. As much as I want to like State, I think I'll stick to Sole Tech and the last remaining pairs of Habitat that I have.... loved those shoes.

Thread Information