Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Injury Advice Thread

Default Re: Injury Advice Thread

http://www.brightonphysio.co.uk/ this is who i went with, was £30 a session, which included initial and continued assessment of range of movement/pain deep tissue massage, ultrasonic treatment and an exercise regime, i went every other week for a little while and it really helped, a place like that may be better for getting a quick diagnosis than a gp who will have reluctance to deal with it and may end up shunting you on to a lengthy referal list.
    Disco Dance Axis

cheers as always FOP
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Initiate

cartilage damage?

for the past few years i have had to do very little to lock my knee up. i even did it standing up from sitting on the floor. it stays locked in one position for a day or two then releases and feels bruised inside. which made me cut back on skating then i stopped. had a little mini ramp session and fucked it up again.

this time its taken months to heal and i couldnt walk for a couple of weeks. was told it was just soft tissue damage at the hospital (i had a swollen knee) and sent away. im convinced i must have a small tear or something in my cartilage as the same sort of thing happened to my other knee and i had some cartilage removed.

im hoping for some pyhsio as my doc thinks theres something wrong. (background over)

can cartilage heal on its own or can it only be fixed with surgery? im missing skating too much ~sad face~
    the dream of the 90s is alive in portland

cartilage doesn't heal at all really from what i understand and most surgery is not really a total fix either, but it depends on what the injury is, where the injury is before anything like that becomes clear, but cartilage damage is always pretty bad news.
    Disco Dance Axis

Has anyone seen any wristguards that are way more beefy than the usuall type? just had nine weeks off work with a broken wrist and some meccano to hold it together. Ive promised to give up but cant see it.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by old_man_river View Post
    cartilage damage?

for the past few years i have had to do very little to lock my knee up. i even did it standing up from sitting on the floor. it stays locked in one position for a day or two then releases and feels bruised inside. which made me cut back on skating then i stopped. had a little mini ramp session and fucked it up again.

this time its taken months to heal and i couldnt walk for a couple of weeks. was told it was just soft tissue damage at the hospital (i had a swollen knee) and sent away. im convinced i must have a small tear or something in my cartilage as the same sort of thing happened to my other knee and i had some cartilage removed.

im hoping for some pyhsio as my doc thinks theres something wrong. (background over)

can cartilage heal on its own or can it only be fixed with surgery? im missing skating too much ~sad face~
    I'm having a cartilage op just before xmas, its been playing me up for years on and off and now completely gives way sometimes if i twist sudden or catch it wrong, had my first skate in ages last wednesday and lasted about 40 minutes before it went again. I had xrays private physio the lot over the last couple of years, wish i'd had the £200 spare for mri 12 months ago private, then that would have picked up my torn cartilage and would have had op within 16 weeks and all fixed up last spring time.From what i gather cartilage damage is not too bad compared to ligaments.I've been told its when the flappy bit of the tear gets in the way is when my knee gives out, the op is keyhole trim the tear, clean up back of knee cap (also damaged) wash out the knee and check for anything else while there in there. Supposed to be walk in ,out on crutches but should be able to walk taking it easy for a couple of weeks, then sorted i hope.With hindsight i'd recommend private mri as soon as possible because once its diagnosed the consultant has to put you on the waiting list which is 16 weeks max. If you wait for nhs consultant appointment ,then mri , then op you can be looking at 12 months or at least i have

I had the flappy cartilage thing...knee locking up, giving way, etc...

Had NHS keyhole op to clean it up about four or five years ago and it's been good as new since.

Currently got a damaged plantar tendon or whatever you call it caused by heel spurs which is just about getting better...was agonizing when I did it.

Don't get old kids.
    Last edited by Freshkid; 17th November 2011 at 12:17 AM.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Freshkid View Post
    I had the flappy cartilage thing...knee locking up, giving way, etc...

Had NHS keyhole op to clean it up about four or five years ago and it's been good as new since.
    this is music to my ears!! walking up and down stairs is murder let alone trying to run about with the kids or skate at the mo.
    lol i've also got arthritis in the same knee, what were you saying about getting old!

Widdler

Quote Originally Posted by YUG View Post
    Has anyone seen any wristguards that are way more beefy than the usuall type? just had nine weeks off work with a broken wrist and some meccano to hold it together. Ive promised to give up but cant see it.
    S-one makes the best wrist guards for rehabilitation. Have a look.
    http://www.s-onestore.com/servlet/th...l-Wrist/Detail

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by flip7319 View Post
    I'm having a cartilage op just before xmas, its been playing me up for years on and off and now completely gives way sometimes if i twist sudden or catch it wrong, had my first skate in ages last wednesday and lasted about 40 minutes before it went again. I had xrays private physio the lot over the last couple of years, wish i'd had the £200 spare for mri 12 months ago private, then that would have picked up my torn cartilage and would have had op within 16 weeks and all fixed up last spring time.From what i gather cartilage damage is not too bad compared to ligaments.I've been told its when the flappy bit of the tear gets in the way is when my knee gives out, the op is keyhole trim the tear, clean up back of knee cap (also damaged) wash out the knee and check for anything else while there in there. Supposed to be walk in ,out on crutches but should be able to walk taking it easy for a couple of weeks, then sorted i hope.With hindsight i'd recommend private mri as soon as possible because once its diagnosed the consultant has to put you on the waiting list which is 16 weeks max. If you wait for nhs consultant appointment ,then mri , then op you can be looking at 12 months or at least i have
    thanks for this. ive been thinking about this if only to clear my mind that theres nothing wrong in there and it is some sort of re-occuring ligament damage. £200 is quite cheap. i was expecting it to be a lot more thats whats put me off. i get a pain straight across the back of my kneecap when i try and run for a few seconds or so. next time im at the hospital im going to have to have a sit in, complete with dirty protest until they look at my knee properly. just need to get a tent and some sympathetic people to take over A&E
    the dream of the 90s is alive in portland

‹bermensch

I hesitated over something about four months ago, decided at the last split second to try to stick it and landed with one of my legs dead straight, like a fucking gomp. Felt a big pop and it wasn't right again really. Saw two doctors both of whom pulled on my leg a bit and said all the ligaments were fine. I went back again and insisted on an MRI. Got the results Friday and it was like reading the MOT fail sheet for the rattiest car I ever had. Completely gone ACL, partial tears in two other ligaments and damage to some other bits I can't remember the name of. I love skating but I'm 38 now and seriously considering whether to jack it in once my knees mended. There's too much other stuff I like doing where being able to at least walk is a bit helpful. Fucking knees.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by old_man_river View Post
    thanks for this. ive been thinking about this if only to clear my mind that theres nothing wrong in there and it is some sort of re-occuring ligament damage. £200 is quite cheap. i was expecting it to be a lot more thats whats put me off. i get a pain straight across the back of my kneecap when i try and run for a few seconds or so. next time im at the hospital im going to have to have a sit in, complete with dirty protest until they look at my knee properly. just need to get a tent and some sympathetic people to take over A&E
    for the pain behind the knee cap try googling runners knee, could be that or possibly damaged rough spots on back of knee cap which is what i've also got, this basically grates and causes pain and swelling. if runners knee basiclly work your quads lots of cycling, those pattella bands helped me.
    Even if you push your dr for mri, you then have to wait for consultant appointment, then wait for mri, then wait for results, then wait for opp its a long process. The private mri will half the process, mine was offered by the osteopath i was using and would have been done within a week or two, but a couple of companies had just gone bump on me at the time so money was tight and i had to do the nhs process

Quote Originally Posted by dave allen View Post
    S-one makes the best wrist guards for rehabilitation. Have a look.
    http://www.s-onestore.com/servlet/th...l-Wrist/Detail
    Yeah cheers just cant find them in the uk, think big woody has a small left hander havent seen them anywhere else.

Widdler

Quote Originally Posted by YUG View Post
    Yeah cheers just cant find them in the uk, think big woody has a small left hander havent seen them anywhere else.
    Ok, this is exactly the same wrist guard.
    http://www.betterbraces.com/donjoy-c...-wrist-support

These people make it for S-One. The doctors office in Atlanta gave me one, and then S-One sent me one and they are identical. Just without the S-One branding.
    All you need to do is cut the velcro down and you're set.

Thanks just ordered one from a uk equivalent site.

Thread Information