Page 811 of 811 FirstFirst ... 311711761801809810811
Results 12,151 to 12,165 of 12165

Thread: In the news today thread.

‹bermensch

Default Re: In the news today thread.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    ...It was over the road from me as a kid...
    Damn that's really interesting!!

Administrator

Turns out that Slobodan Praljak is not your average bogey-man despite being roundly described as nothing more than a "war criminal" in every paper.

Clearly he was involved in some horrible shit during the Bosnian war but after reading up on him, the guy was really interesting.
    An engineer, scientist, film-maker, theatre director who voluntarily surrendered after the Bosnian war and had already served 15 years of his 20 year sentence that was reconfirmed today. I'm guessing he probably would've been released in less than a year but still opted to pull a Socrates and drink hemlock.
    I'm interested to see if any of the above gets mentioned in the media or they just stick to the moral absolutism of today's reporting.
    His division in the Bosnian/Croat army was comprised entirely of artists too which is nuts.
    check his wiki entry below for more if you're interested.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slobodan_Praljak

Ultra King

kudos for researching him. I always forget taking news at face value is mostly awful

Administrator

Standard - I know I get accused of being a bit tinfoil on here at times but I no longer trust any media outlet these days.
    Like I say, I'm not defending the guy but I've seen no mention of him being anything other than a "war criminal" in any reporting since his suicide, nor of the fact that he had about a year (if that) left to serve, nor of him voluntarily surrendering after the war.
    Something stinks to me.

Just to poke you a bit: he's getting called a war criminal for decisions like this:

From July 24 to September 8, 1993, Praljak was the Chief of Staff of the Croatian Defense Council. Among his decisions, the one to let through the UNHCR's humanitarian convoy for Mostar, which was stopped in Čitluk, was particularly emphasized. He was also accused of ordering the destruction of Mostar’s 16th-century bridge in November 1993, an act that, according to the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia “caused disproportionate damage to the Muslim civilian population”.
    He may have been a fantastic thespian and intellectual, but sometimes the orders you make which end up killing lost of people are more important. Absolutely fine to call him a 'war criminal', I'm sure the obituaries will go into greater detail for those who care. I don't because the guy sounds like a bit of a cunt.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dent Face View Post
    Just to poke you a bit: he's getting called a war criminal for decisions like this:

He may have been a fantastic thespian and intellectual, but sometimes the orders you make which end up killing lost of people are more important. Absolutely fine to call him a 'war criminal', I'm sure the obituaries will go into greater detail for those who care. I don't because the guy sounds like a bit of a cunt.
    I'm not daft Dent Face, nor did I say he wasn't a war criminal (poke taken) and as I've spoken on here before - the Balkan Wars are a particular interest of mine and thus I'm fully aware of who did what on every side of the conflict.
    What I'm drawing attention to is the narrative shaping way he is being discussed, (or rather not discussed) in the media.
    Wouldn't it make sense to explain how he surrended and accepted his 20 year sentence and did 15 years of it?
    From all the reporting today it's as if he'd just been convicted of it.
    Also - not sure why you're copy and pasting the following as evidence of him being evil...

"Among his decisions, the one to let through the UNHCR's humanitarian convoy for Mostar,"

Edit - just looked at the map and it looks as if the convoy only got half way to Mostar
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...2!4d17.6955277

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Yeah obv. But I mean like a year ago when I first invested
    You think you have it bad?

Spare a thought for this cunt!
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-landfill-site

He was the first person I thought of when I heard about this new Bitcoin buzz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    You think you have it bad?

Spare a thought for this cunt!
    https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-landfill-site

He was the first person I thought of when I heard about this new Bitcoin buzz.
    What a mong.
    From an idiot like myself I'd expect that but from "someone who works in IT".
    He better be down there digging in the shit or somebody else will

how much bitcoin do you guys have and what did you pay for it? wish i'd bothered getting on it, i'm taking some chances with some other currencies
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Freshkid View Post
    So u like celine Dion computer games and weed do u see me being a cunt 2 u Live and let live

‹bermensch

Buying Bitcoin seems an absolute mine field of mindfuckness. I tried a few years back but couldn't find any wallet or broker that had decent reviews or was considered in any way trustworthy. Nowadays, for a currency that is meant to be anonymous, I can't get anywhere without giving away every fucking detail imaginable down to my inner thigh measurement and even recommended "world leading" websites are virtually impossible to actually buy from. I tried a few months ago for hours and got nowhere (apart from a fuck load of phishing emails), and trying again has produced nothing - I might just go old school and buy some Krugerrands.

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Oh dear, how embarrassing, it’s almost as if the deal with the DUP wasn’t thought through...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...h-border-issue

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Oh dear, how embarrassing, it’s almost as if everything about Brexit wasn’t thought through...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...h-border-issue
    FYP.

It's days like these when you can imagine a whole episode of The Thick Of It playing in your head except it isn't funny at all and you just want to gently sob all the way through instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    FYP.

It's days like these when you can imagine a whole episode of The Thick Of It playing in your head except it isn't funny at all and you just want to gently sob all the way through instead.
    It's really getting that way, plenty of material for the guardian though.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    agreed. there's way worse trousers victims out there. at least he's not using his trousers to hide the fact that he sucks, like a lot of others

Thread Information