Page 872 of 872 FirstFirst ... 372772822862870871872
Results 13,066 to 13,079 of 13079

Thread: In the news today thread.

Default Re: In the news today thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Mews View Post
    ouch owie oof my bones
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Übermensch

https://twitter.com/ArrivaTW/status/1040131693154324486

Train company taking 10% of any cash found in wallets lost on their trains, fucking unbelievable

£3 for them to keep your skateboard overnight while you go to the pub isn't so bad...

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8535676.html

I had previously thought we'd never see this kind of news story pop up any more but there's been a few this year.

"In 1947, a UFO dropped fell down to Earth there that prompted stories that it was an alien craft. Officials initially said it was a weather balloon but it later became clear it was actually part of secretive nuclear testing – but some still claim it was something more extraterrestrial."

They can't actually string a sentence together

Yeah that's one of those sentences where they're trying quite hard to sound more intelligent but fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Load View Post
    £3 for them to keep your skateboard overnight while you go to the pub isn't so bad...
    I think losing your board is such an awful feeling.

Once I was on the train home from Leeds once with my board and another deck to go on my wall (which, funnily enough, was the same graphic I was riding at the time).

I put my set-up in the overhead luggage bit, which I rarely do for exactly this reason, and of course of walked off the train with my new wall piece but without my actual set-up.

I realised what I'd done and darted home, spent close to an hour panicking while on the phone to different railway services/lost property as it was really unclear who would be responsible for unclaimed items once the train I had been on got to Sheffield which was the end stop on that route.

Anyway, after an hour of stressing I realised the train I'd gotten off would be coming back on the same route to go to Leeds so I legged it to the train station, got back on the train and asked the conductor if anyone had handed in a skateboard. He asked me what it looked like, which I thought was weird, and I said something like "Erm, it's black with a big pink moon on it but covered in scratches too..." at which point he opened the driver's room at the front of the train and there was my board.

I left my phone in a taxi once, but I still had all my money when I got up the next morning. Got my phone back thanks to FindMyiPhone, but the driver wouldn't speak to me, he sent somebody else out. Fuck knows what happened there.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...-a8535676.html

I had previously thought we'd never see this kind of news story pop up any more but there's been a few this year.

It's most likely an asteroid larger than 40m in diameter calculated to be traveling within 0.000085AU, or around 15,000km of the planet. That size or above is considered to be "potentially damaging to life or environment", but the reality is the majority of them break apart and burn up on atmospheric entry. Even if they didn't, at the most they would impact an average US city block, but the fallout comes from the panic that ensues - and hence the reason for strict containment.

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    It's most likely an asteroid larger than 40m in diameter calculated to be traveling within 0.000085AU, or around 15,000km of the planet. That size or above is considered to be "potentially damaging to life or environment", but the reality is the majority of them break apart and burn up on atmospheric entry. Even if they didn't, at the most they would impact an average US city block, but the fallout comes from the panic that ensues - and hence the reason for strict containment.
    I'd be content to go along with that version of events, this was another story in the same genre from earlier:

More than likely to be a test vehicle of some kind but the footage is still odd all the same!

Übermensch

Oh yes, I remember this one.

It seems feasible that this was some sort of extraterrestrial object, but there's also the possibility that it was an early iteration of inter-flight operated weapons technology. There were a few weapons research programs in the private sector at the time, some of which fed into the current lineup of AGM, ASSBME and ICBM portfolios. What nobody seems to get is that the pilot who was interviewed wouldn't be anywhere near the pay grade or clearance level required to be aware of that kind of research - and neither would his direct commanding officers.

Thread Information