Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

Initiate

Default Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

Something I would like to get people's thoughts on.

Is it wrong to post up photos of spots you're skating, when you know they might be seen a in a magazine or a video in the following months?

If I was working on a video project or an article for a magazine, why would I show everyone that spot beforehand. I see people posting up spots they are skating all the time on Insta and FB. Just from seeing the spot and who's there I can pretty much guess what went down.

Does it ruin the impact of the trick when it comes to seeing it in a magazine or video?

Personally I think it does, I would be interested to know what people think.

Also why blow out potential magazine photos on Facebook for the sake of twelve likes? Surely the chance to have the a photo in a magazine is worth more than that.
    Last edited by Catalogue; 8th June 2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Default Re: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

If it's not giving away location, rider and trick then who gives a fuck. It won't be the first time someone has set eyes on the spot.

If i go out to specifically shoot a photo with someone, i'll try to make sure no one takes any photos. Filmers are more of a problem. I've been in the situation where i've shot a bunch of stuff and a filmer has been there, then used it for a throwaway edit online before the photo has been used. That's more annoying.

It's always better to see a photo first then see the footage, i think so anyway.

Administrator

Good thread Catalogue

‹bermensch

It builds the hype for me. Gets you thinking what might have gone down. Unless its just a shit angle/quality photo of the exact trick that is to be published or whatever. Then it's just stepping on toes imo

I normally send my new spot photo's to cates.

Maybe I should post them on here instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Ultra King

I like to see new spots, but I'd rather not see poached or third angle footage of the tricks if their to be used for an article or video.
    However, I am strongly against the secret spot police who go all out to hide the location of a spot and keep it for themselves.
    I always share my spots because I want to see how other people use them and have fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

There's a thread on this on JP at the moment and the consensus seems to be that it sucks if you are a skate photographer. The few occasions i've managed to get out and shoot these past couple of years photos of the spot, skater, trick, session, etc, have been on facebook (probably, fuck knows), twitter and instagram before i've finished packing my gear away. Personally it hasn't bothered me one bit as all the occasions haven't been specific photo missions and just skate sessions where i saw something that looked interesting enough to get a shot of.

That said i wouldn't want people posting their own angles/shots if i've taken them to a spot with the specific intention of shooting a photo and most of the skaters i usually skate/shoot photos with understand this, some don't though. There's a handful of spots i have been keeping hush hush for the past few years exactly with this in mind.
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by Catalogue View Post
    Is it wrong to post up photos of spots you're skating, when you know they might be seen a in a magazine or a video in the following months?
    Some of the best places I've ever skated have been internet/Facebook discoveries. Can't afford to hire a plane like Salba? Use Google Maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Catalogue View Post
    If I was working on a video project or an article for a magazine, why would I show everyone that spot beforehand.
    That's the difference though - media big-wigs should put an embargo on their sessions.

I think I love skateboarding so much nothing can deter my hype. I think I saw various bits n bobs of reference to Raemer's massive gap clearance on Facebook or somewhere and that just added to the build-up. A bit like Rowley's ad with the massive semi-stack, where they used just a photo of the spot as a "teaser".

I skate for fun and that's it, if I don't have fun you'll see me quit...

‹bermensch

A grainy poxy photo on instagram should not get peoples backs up but i know (from first hand) it does

I understand that while it seems to take the ooompf out of watching it first hand and for the first time in a mag/vid the lack of quality will prevail and anything good enough to be filmed and properly photographed will be ultimately better, which would warrant the initial 'insta-blow-out' (what a shit term, absolutely tragic) left behind which is where ultimately was designed to be, 'a photo of what you are upto' nothing more, nothing less

In summary, take the stick out your arse, get over it, its only a bit of fun, and like someone pointed out before, if its a big secret, make sure everyone understands this before they start lobbing out their phones and banding it around social networks

quite simple really
    Don't worry - its nothing a drink can't fix

www.legacyskatestore.co.uk

Administrator

This is categorically not about your brother/rob smith though.

‹bermensch

NO i know its not on about this one, hahaha but was speaking from my own experience with that one I've just seen Daz's back get up on FB before about it

The problem is (especially with the Rob/Ronny situ) there was at least 6 kids who no-one knew, a family with a cameraphone and a guy in the allotment taking pictures, theres a massive possibility that these images are already out there, so having a go at someone you actually know because you do is pretty weak

The only way that you can truly keep something exclusive, is actually going out one on one, after that unless its discussed beforehand, its in the public domain

We have mini editing programs on phones now and video can be uploaded wirelessly through 3G, sign of the times I'm afraid

(Can I just say! No-one is more excited on seeing how Robs photos come out than me) (Even if I was there in the flesh)

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    This is categorically not about your brother/rob smith though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nandoshotsauce View Post
    (Can I just say! No-one is more excited on seeing how Robs photos come out than me) (Even if I was there in the flesh)
    Ah, I think I know what you're talking about! Good example - that has got me super-stoked to see the "real" photo! So for me, personally, that's a positive not a negative.

Ultra King

This has never happened to me before, but I can imagineit'd suck so bad if you'd set up everything to get footy/photees only to have the session blown by someone's loose finger/mouth.

Phones you can edit on? That's proper Star Trek. Fuck that.

‹bermensch

Imovie on the iphone, yep its happening

Thread Information