Page 186 of 188 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188 LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 2817

Thread: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

Übermensch

Default Re: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

There isn't a men's only comp is there? As far as I'm aware the girls could enter the 3k event if they wished.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Not so sure myself but I'd love to be proven wrong. There are interesting pieces of research going around, always important to take them with a pinch of salt but they at least show it's a very complex issue:

https://hbr.org/2018/07/why-women-vo...-to-promotions

https://www.forbes.com/sites/georgen...d-do-about-it/

Quite often when I hear about companies talking about the issue it ends up with no actions being taken, hence my scepticism.
    Yeah interesting articles, have read both before. They are smaller parts of the bigger issue which as I said before is a shifting of mental perceptions on who can perform leaderships tasks best and the decline in old white male mid 50s people being the bosses of companies.

I can see why you'd be sceptical but I don't know speaking from experience in the company I work for, which is quite large they appear to making a lot of effort to change this with panel discussions and being very transparent about the divides amongst senior staff members genders/ etnicities, but again it is something that takes a long time. They can't just suddenly boot out some male CEO and put someone else in, has to happen more organically over a longer period of time.

Übermensch

It basically involves the breaking down of centuries old mental barriers/and perceptions imo which is going to take generations

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    I can see why you'd be sceptical but I don't know speaking from experience in the company I work for, which is quite large they appear to making a lot of effort to change this with panel discussions and being very transparent about the divides amongst senior staff members genders/ etnicities, but again it is something that takes a long time. They can't just suddenly boot out some male CEO and put someone else in, has to happen more organically over a longer period of time.
    Of course change will take time but something more than discussion is required, I also don't think people have a clear enough picture of what the future would look like.

We're organizing the annual comp at my local skatepark. I spoke with various skater girls here and tried to do the best thing for them as I want them to get the credit they're due. The girls I spoke with all think that having a jam for girls and allowing the girls to enter the regular competition (the 16 and over comp) is a pretty good formula, so girls can have their time to shine but also be included in the comp like anybody really, depending on their motivation that day. We're experimenting and we'll see how this works.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Übermensch

I’ve seen a lot of people jumping on the “equal pay for equal work” bandwagon which I usually 100% agree with. But I fail to see how in this case competition prize money falls into that arguement when you look at the facts.

Looking at the skateboarden results page it looks like there were only 5 girls competing, vs 41 in the men’s competition. The women’s presumably went straight to a final, while the men’s would have had qualifiers which usually last the weekend.

I asked this on the Wight Trash insta and didn’t get much of a response, but do you think Participation influences the distribution of a prize purse? In this instance I can’t see how they can justify each winning 2k, when one person is 1st of 41 while skating a couple of times, and the other 1st of 5 skating once.

It doesn’t even have to be about gender, think how many times at your local comp, they split prizes in favour of over 16 vs under. In the last comp my local did, they reversed it because there were so many younger kids skating compared to older, and nobody complained about someone walking away with boards ect despite being a much lower ability.
    Last edited by Garlic_Naan; 1 Week Ago at 08:03 AM.

Totally agree with that. Equality, on all fronts whether it's gender, sexuality, disablity, etc. comes with obligations as well as rights.

Übermensch

I'm really looking forward to this video.

Me too if that clip is anything to go by.

Übermensch

"screening at skate shops around the world this Saturday."

Says a brand that opened a chain of their own shops, gtfo Element.

Skating will be sick but am also certain it'll have some fucking shite bland soundtrack that'll ruin it

A bland soundtrack would ruin for you? Don't be ridiculous.

Übermensch

Of course it would, could be the best skating ever but if the soundtrack isn't up to scratch too I don't really give a shit

Would rather it be raw footy than whatever bland 'world music' instrumental Element will probably use

Would love to be proved wrong however

I'd sooner have bland music than deliberately overpowering stuff myself, only music I can't stand would ruin it for me, much like that which is used in Nyjah's recent Nike part.

Übermensch

I like Meek Mill and that song could've worked for me with a skater I actually cared about

Get what you're saying about overpowering music you don't like, that obviously is other end of the spectrum. Just find this proliferation of cheap instrumental music companies are having to use today really doesn't make me excited about watching the video

(I know I'm totally speculating on Element having this but I have a feeling it will be along lines of that Etnies vid)

Thread Information