Page 2 of 101 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

Ultra King

Default Re: Instagram and Facebook Blow Outs.

Quote Originally Posted by nandoshotsauce View Post
    Imovie on the iphone, yep its happening
    What?

Fuck.

I give up.

Übermensch

Its actually fucked, my mate put 3 clips together, put a sepia colour, added a tune, a title and uploaded it to youtube in about 20 mins, while at the park, I'll see if I can find it
    Don't worry - its nothing a drink can't fix

www.legacyskatestore.co.uk

id look at it as a teaser. If i saw something sick, the rob picture, then I'd been super keen to see the picture in the mag. it wouldnt bum me out because Id already seen it on a 2 inch screen in low res when I know that Ill be able to see it in print. Its like a trailer for a film, it builds the hype and expectation.

Direct parallel with wedding photography, strangely enough. You'll set up the shot, have guests behind you with their phones and cameras and it'll be up on Facebook and tagged by the time you get home. Secret is to take the bride and groom somewhere separate so there is at least some shots of them nobody has seen so it's special to them when they come out. So I guess sort of applies to skating, although if there is long enough gap between the phone pap and the quality shot then it means it's dropped out of people's short term memory and is fresh, in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by billydickfingers View Post
    id look at it as a teaser. If i saw something sick, the rob picture, then I'd been super keen to see the picture in the mag. it wouldnt bum me out because Id already seen it on a 2 inch screen in low res when I know that Ill be able to see it in print. Its like a trailer for a film, it builds the hype and expectation.
    It doesn't build any hype or expectation as the photo from the session won't be seen in print for a few months, maybe a year or more. You'll have forgotten the photo within a week unless the spot is something new and seriously interesting, in which case the interest around this spot will decrease the chances of the photo running - For the skate photographer the "leak", as it were, increases the chances that the photo/trick will be one-up'd and decreases the chances of the original photo being run.

Skate photographers have a hard enough time already getting the shots, for every one that runs in print there are dozens that don't. Having to compete with all the other issues is frustrating enough already but then having the actual photos that run be undermined by, lets be honest here from a skate photography point of view, shite low resolution point and shoot sneak previews takes away a lot of the thrill of seeing skate photos in print.

I don't have much of an issue with facebook/instagram, i more against the whole drip-feed approach to releasing things and the constant stream of trivialities. It's the worst kind of short-termism because the focus is on quantity not quality, and it takes away from the longer-term end product.

The thread on JP for context: http://jazzpush.com/topics/144
    LJ

Übermensch

Unfortunately like Ginger says on the previous page, he has issues with filmers and thinks that Photography should be more important (well not more important, but should be seen first) than the film, although they are equally important

This is just real-time happens, like when anyone watches Tampa live stream or Street League (oops)

I think seeing the build up, the crew or even a grainy shite picture of the spot/trick adds to the collective moment of what we are all able to take part in, and none should be discounted as being irrelevant or pissing on each others parade

Maybe there should be a protocol in black and white for everyone to know how to behave

So in summary, I like the instagram blow-jobs or what ever Daz wants to call them to make them sound lame hahaha

Initiate

It was really good to read all your opinions, nice one.

I think maybe all persons involved in anything that may become mag worthy, should be told at the start of that session. I guess as a photographer though it may be difficult to enforce that rule.

Would be nice to see people take a little more consideration when it comes to things like this.

Once again, stoked on all you opinions. Thanks.

Administrator

Interesting thread.
    My two pence: firstly it's really hard to enforce a nobody else filming or taking photos rule because a) it makes whoever is suggesting it sound like a cunt and b) with the advent of smartphones etc it's really hard to police.
    People like ches and Magee (for example) used to be fairly militant about this stuff and then rightly or wrongly depending on your stance, got called 'nazis' for it.
    Personally I've been in numerous situations where I could have bootlegged serious superstar hammers for personal props but as I'm part of the 'machine' so to speak, I know and follow 'the rules'.
    With that said, spunking good tricks on fb for illusory props does annoy the fuck out of me but it doesn't happen that often.

As an aside, a fairly prolific fb filmer (for want of a better phrase) recently got busted poaching a trick of a very, very, famous us pro after being asked not to film it politely. Said filmer then dropped the poached hammer into a throwaway fb edit and as a result is now blacklisted from ever working for a specific massive and mutifarious skate-related company in any capacity. The irony is that said filmer's dream is, I'm assuming, to get paid for filming but as a result of ignoring 'the rules' has now fucked it for himself, at least as far as a particular set of companies go.

No real message, just interesting and kind of relevant.
    Last edited by anonymity; 8th June 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Catalogue View Post
    It was really good to read all your opinions, nice one.

I think maybe all persons involved in anything that may become mag worthy, should be told at the start of that session. I guess as a photographer though it may be difficult to enforce that rule.

I think this is a perfectly decent (and should be respected) request

Can we get this memo typed up and passed around please

Administrator

Apologies for typos: iPhone

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    Interesting thread.
    My two pence: firstly it's really hard to enforce a nobody else filming or taking photos rule because a) it makes whoever is suggesting it sound like a cunt and b) with the advent of smartphones etc it's really hard to police.
    People like ches and Magee (for example) used to be fairly militant about this stuff and then rightly or wrongly depending on your stance, got called 'nazis' for it.
    Personally I've been in numerous situations where I could have bootlegged serious superstar hammers for personal props but ad I'm part of the 'machine' so to speak, I know and follow 'the rules'.
    With that said, spunking good tricks on fb for illusory props does annoy the fuck out of me but it doesn't happen that often.

As an aside, a fairly prolific fb filmer (for want of a better phrase) recently hot busted poaching a trick of a very very famous us pro after being asked not to film it politely. Said filmer then dropped the poached hammer into a throwaway fb edit and as a result is now blacklisted from ever working for a specific massive and mutifarious skate-related company in any capacity. The irony is that said filmer's dram is, I'm assuming, to get paid for filming but as a result of ignoring 'the rules' has now fucked it for himself, at least as far as a particular set of companies go.

No real message, just interesting and kind of relevant.

Notts based?

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    As an aside, a fairly prolific fb filmer (for want of a better phrase) recently hot busted poaching a trick of a very very famous us pro after being asked not to film it politely. Said filmer then dropped the poached hammer into a throwaway fb edit and as a result is now blacklisted from ever working for a specific massive and mutifarious skate-related company in any capacity. The irony is that said filmer's dram is, I'm assuming, to get paid for filming but as a result of ignoring 'the rules' has now fucked it for himself, at least as far as a particular set of companies go.
    How old is this filmer? I'm wondering if this kind of thing can be seen in the same way as music/video downloading. The digital generation, for want of a none contrived sounding label, expect to download for nothing so perhaps they're also happy to upload for nothing. Part of me is all for this, creative commons free culture etc, brilliant; but, again, not to the point where it impacts others efforts. Either that or it's more short-termism.
    LJ

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    I normally send my new spot photo's to cates.

Maybe I should post them on here instead.
    I normally send my turds to cates.

Übermensch

Instagram can fuck off.Only kidding, I'm addicted to the thing.

On a day to day basis if I'm out filming or with people shooting photos, the crew is generally small and everyone knows the drill, so once something's going down, it's iPhones away. Let everyone get on with whatever it is they're there to do. I've learnt the hard way to avoid situations similar to that which MN described in his wedding photography comparison, not necessarily because of Instagram, but through years of battling with YouTube heroes and people with their own agendas. Always best to keep things simple.

I agree with Nando entirely on the point of spelling out beforehand if something needs to be off limits for iPhone snaps. No one wants to be "that guy" unless they have to but when you're out of your comfort zone it might need to be done. Kids you bump into at spots aren't expected to operate by your unspoken rules, you might need to spell it out. The dawn of insta-props make it a reality, it's a pain in the arse but it's not the end of the world. You live and learn and adapt accordingly.

Spot location doesn't bother me personally. I don't care if people see we're at one spot or the next, I'll even fuck about shooting iPhone warm up photos for instagram if there's scope to do so. If you want mystery and intrigue and wish to be all covert with your actions, don't get instagram. Or just post photos of food, or your dog, or whatever. It doesn't lessen the impact of the end product I don't think. I can show you a thousand snapshots of a ten stair or a filmer crouching by a gap, but you can't know for sure the trick, the angle, the lighting, the whole impact until you see the shot in print/trick on video. So long as the trick isn't in there I don't think it matters.

Out of interest, are you referring to any incidents/tricks in particular Catalogue?
    Last edited by corpse hands; 8th June 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Administrator

RE: Nando and Lawrencium's questions - no Tatchell on this one.
    In reality I don't even know where he's from and I don't know his age but under-20 ish I think.

Thread Information