Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Female Skaters

Default Re: "Female Skaters"

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforthecornet View Post
    The real difference is that you have to go to the mountains to snowboard, once you get there...

With the massive increase in skateparks and organised learn-to-skate programs, young girls are getting the chance to have a go at skating all over the country...
    Yeah i was being simplistic, maybe too much so hence wayoutskates taking my reply much too literally. But there's the barrier to entry - you have to go to the mountains, or a dedicated indoor slope, you need to spend a lot on basic gear, all barriers that will always preclude a significant number of people. I don't believe these barriers exist in skateboarding (maybe there are others?).

The skatepark point is true. I agree, it will contribute in the long term and get more girls skating, but will it change the relative numbers of male to female participants? I hope it does, but i don't think it will.
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by lawrencium View Post
    The skatepark point is true. I agree, it will contribute in the long term and get more girls skating, but will it change the relative numbers of male to female participants? I hope it does, but i don't think it will.
    I doubt it, football pitches are way more accessible and its definitely cheaper to go for a kick around as well as being more socially accepted, football over skating that is, but the number of female footballers will never be comparable... I think anyway...

Ultra King

snowboarding = fewer bruises on legs (I assume you don't get shinners?)

Really though I think it could be what Anon said (re holiday etc). And yes the fact it's probably easier to get started than skating.

In regards to "promoting" girl skating... I remember some guys complaining once about a girl skate comp: as skate comps aren't restricted to men, why should girl comps exclude men... In this case you have to realise that it really just is a bit of fun, a big sesh together. Girls often don't get the chance to skate with other girls and comps are a good excuse to meet up. I love skating with anyone, but I would say that yes actually it is nice to skate with other girls (and a bit different to a man-only sesh, in some ways).
    For brands/teams for girls, I'm not really that bothered, but I think it's cool that there's tours and vids etc. It encourages other girls to skate and it's a fun atmosphere. If there weren't teams of girls there would probably be fewer vids of girls skating.

Not a very constructive comment sorry... I suppose I don't have that much to say about girl skating. It's just skateboarding.
    "If you feel radical when you grind a curb, then, by golly, you are radical."

Administrator

I did an interview the other day for a website about the "history of female skateboarding" - I was one of a few peeps who did it.
    I assume I was the only bloke though...
    It's supposed to be live tomorrow - let's see how much of a sexist twat I end up looking.

Have you ever compared a girl comp anon? If so, is it weird suppressing jibes? I imagine *insert obvious* would not go down well.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by CondescendingRupert View Post
    *insert obvious* .
    Do you mean: "Kickflip-fakie on the flatbank, make some noise!"

no I meant something a little more specific

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforthecornet View Post
    Do you mean: "Kickflip-fakie on the flatbank, make some noise!"
    Oof! Haha!

That last (British?) girls' comp video that got posted was pretty great though. For girls.

I don't think it's wrong to highlight gender when the differences are so obviously there. When I began skating, I wanted to be like Steamer and I entered the local skate jams that didn't have a girls only category etc...I used to want to be just like everyone else and be a skateboarder (i still do)! However as I've grown with the sport/art, I've realised that their are so many barriers still within skateboarding that discourage girls from giving it a try. There are always the ones that will just get on and do, most probably refer to them as tom-boys (yuck) but others need a gentle push (pardon the pun). Female only comps / vids / tours / teams help to promote and recognise and also provide other girls with 'role models'.

It's basic stuff! If that's what helps more girls get into it, then its a good thing in my opinion. I run lessons for young girls wanting to give skateboarding a try and our last course was fully booked, 15 girls, with a waiting list! when I just do generic skateboarding beginners courses, we may get 2 girls maximum.

That's my tuppence worth anyway... Haven't written that much in a post on here since 2006! Ha

Ladies nights in nightclubs....

am I right boyz? AmIright?! Fair? Pff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by CondescendingRupert View Post
    Have you ever compared a girl comp anon? If so, is it weird suppressing jibes? I imagine *insert obvious* would not go down well.
    I've MC'd loads of them.
    What's - insert obvious - though?

Women have a sense of humour too...

RE: obvious...'Get your tits out for da ladz' I reckon.
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    RE: obvious...'Get your tits out for da ladz' I reckon.
    that would imply that I'm shouting "show us your cock" at male skaters though, wouldn't it?

I'm assuming Rupert meant something along the lines of "don't be a pussy" or something linguistically related with a slight misogynistic bent (if you're a humourless knobhead).
    TBH I can't remember if I've ever said that.

LA - would that be offensive to you?
    Last edited by anonymity; 4th October 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Administrator

LA as you're lurking in here - film something for the forum edit!!

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    that would imply that I'm shouting "show us your cock" at male skaters though, wouldn't it?
    No it doesn't!

Thread Information