Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the future of south bank (again...) - major redevelopment announcement today

Goon

Default the future of south bank (again...) - major redevelopment announcement today

in the evening standard today there was a big piece about the new plans for the redevelopment of south bank over the next three years - essentially the whole area of the undercroft is to go the way of the stretch to where birdshit banks used to be - basically turned into shops and restaurants, the whole upstairs will also be redevloped with a huge glass roof put over half of it

the piece does specifically mention the skaters and says they 'will be promised a new home' but does not give any more information about what that means

the consultation on the new plans will open from tomorrow (thurs 7th march) from 10am - 11pm at the Royal Festival Hall - Level 2 Blue Side

so after many years of trying to get rid of the skaters and then begrudgingly accepting them and making them a part of the 'attraction' it now looks like this is total redevelopment of the whole space is going to happen and perhaps start quite soon

so if you ever wanted to film a line or get a trick at south bank then you better get on it sharpish... of course this could drag on for years still so lets wait and see, it will be interesting to see if the actual consultation presentation goes into more detail of what is proposed as the 'new home' for the skaters

so love it or hate it SB's future may finally be sealed, having spent many a day there over the last 20 years i will be really sad to see it go as it is a true cultural institution and i quite like the fact that somewhere so grimy and raw survived in the centre of london for so long - i will be gutted if it is replaced by just another bland and homogenous set of identikit restaurants

watch this space eh...
    ----------------------------------
    https://soundcloud.com/vital-sound

Ultra King

Default Re: the future of south bank (again...) - major redevelopment announcement today

Initiate

Default Re: the future of south bank (again...) - major redevelopment announcement today

Caught in the Crossfire put this up the other day. Seems appropriate.

Ultra King

at least the comments on that Standard article have good cause for compliant about RFH...
    Worse tea, in the interval was in cardboard cups!

Being promised something new is different to getting something new, especially from developers with £ in their eyes.

First Smell of Death comp was late 80s? What with the car exhibition, the gravel, loss of the wallride, small banks and everything else it looks like the battle of attrition might finally be over. The wallride was the first spot I ever skated in London on our first trip down from Chelmsford back in 88, used to love skating that and the small banks back then.

Widdler

Sad news. How long has it been since we lost the small banks, 15 years? We were pretty lucky to have kept the rest for as long as we did, The commercial value must be huge.
    must admit a new spot in the area would be nice without the swarms of tourists milling about. I reckon the problem will be losing an undercover spot, can't see anyone investing that sort of money into the area for skateboarding. Hope they don't just say we should use the London bridge park ( can't remember what it's called).

Quote Originally Posted by deacon View Post
    Hope they don't just say we should use the London bridge park ( can't remember what it's called).
    Ewer Street?

Big shame if South Bank finally disappears, although this sort of thing seems to happen every few years. Still remember the S(ave) O(ur) S(outhbank) articles in R.a.D. decades ago.
    I am Ron Allen's father.

Administrator

I'm pretty sure that Southbank is the oldest still skateable spot in the World, (at least as far as central street spots in massive cities go).

This would be tragic were it to happen. No amount of money can replicate the griminess and style of Southbank. It is indeed quite surprising how it has lasted as long as it has done in such a location. As much as I'd imagine so many people have been irked by the constant presence of skateboarders there over the years, I would think that despite this, many passers-by/tourists do actually appreciate it as something really unique.

Whether one is a fan of skateboarding or not, I'd say not many out there can deny that places like this make London what it is.

Does the world really need another Pret?
    kfc is banging, you lot are mad. i like spunking a oner on a monsieur fancypants three course meal as much as anyone but a good variety meal and gravy will forever be a top treat - Meth

brooklyn bridge banks?

edit: RE oldest city skatespot..

Lot of love for the wee banks and the bank-to-wall at SB from me. I saw Cab front -rock slide that wall and couldn't believe it was possible.
    Last edited by thecmac; 7th March 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by thecmac View Post
    brooklyn bridge banks?

edit: RE oldest city skatespot..

Lot of love for the wee banks and the bank-to-wall at SB from me. I saw Cab front -rock slide that wall and couldn't believe it was possible.

You can't skate the banks any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurph View Post
    This would be tragic were it to happen. No amount of money can replicate the griminess and style of Southbank. It is indeed quite surprising how it has lasted as long as it has done in such a location. As much as I'd imagine so many people have been irked by the constant presence of skateboarders there over the years, I would think that despite this, many passers-by/tourists do actually appreciate it as something really unique.

Whether one is a fan of skateboarding or not, I'd say not many out there can deny that places like this make London what it is.

Does the world really need another Pret?
    Word, the skateboarding has become an attraction there in itself. I am surprised how long it's lasted though.

I used to love the small banks.

Not sure how true this is but I once heard that back in the early 90's the powers that be tried to skatestop SB by cutting grooves into the slabs on the floor but gave up becasue it cost too much / was taking too much time.
    Shout going out to Potsy. Your Mum looks like she's made out of pipe cleaners. Get her off the wizz.

www.legacyskatestore.co.uk

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by whymylegs View Post

Not sure how true this is but I once heard that back in the early 90's the powers that be tried to skatestop SB by cutting grooves into the slabs on the floor but gave up becasue it cost too much / was taking too much time.
    yeah this was true - if memory serves me correct they started at the back where the long flat 4 steps used to be, but never made it that far in, amongst other things they also tried turning all the lights off at night, and chucked loads of gravel/stones everywhere

all detailed in winstan's great film rollin thru the decades (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rollin-Throu.../dp/B0009MZ7VG) along with interviews with the then boss of south bank centre about why they ended up letting the skaters stay

i was quite surprised when the last remaining area of skate-able space was preserved in the last re-development but it may be likely that the whole undercroft area will be the first bit to be closed off if they do the new build from the bottom up...
    ----------------------------------
    https://soundcloud.com/vital-sound

Übermensch

Isnt RFH listed? Someone call Prof. Ian Borden...
    'Then I went and swapped a fucking 5-panel for a cruiser board, like a cunt.'

Thread Information