Page 102 of 197 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2944

Thread: Continually Updated Interview Thread

Übermensch

Default Re: Continually Updated Interview Thread

There's a great interview with Skin Phillips in Free this month - has anyone read it? I really liked a couple of points he makes - one about iconic photographs and capturing a time/lifestyle, and the other about how skateboarders engage with urban environments in a particularly detailed way:

Skin Phillips 2.jpg

I thought this was interesting because of the way he suggests that the ideal image (for him) is one that captures a moment rather than a trick.

Skin Phillips 1.jpg

What do you think? Is skateboarding this? It really resonated with me because as an adolescent I was into wandering around and exploring the town/city before I was a skater. I actually think it was more the act of being in the city/playing in the city that attracted me to skateboarding, than the tricks or anything else.

(how do I rotate these images?!)

it does ring true but just about every skateboard related interview / article / documentary has wheeled off this rhetoric about skaters "seeing the world differently" since time immemorial. while it is part of what makes skateboarding so interesting it is often portrayed in quite an up-your-own-arse manner (that interview being a good example) when actually i'm not sure how artistically inspiring travelling the world looking at benches actually is.

i'd actually imagine that most of the time it has it's big disadvantages as well. while exploring a city on a skateboard is a great experience, is it really that true that it gives you such a good picture of what a city is really like? or just a good picture of what the floor is mostly made out of? we suck our own cocks about it because we're not going somewhere to "consume" or "do all the touristy stuff" but is if i went to barca and went round all the historic ancient buildings and landmarks it would probably be more educational than visiting derelict train station waiting areas. as i think ciaran on here once said, how many of you have actually been inside the macba museum?

not trying to sound harsh or negative, and i know this doesn't apply to everyone, but i think it's interesting to question the whole "skaters eyes" thing we think is so great. i also think i've just watched We Are Blood one too many times (twice) and it made me want to reach into my tv and slap p-rod in the face.
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Mini Goon

i think it's more about how a skater can go to a new country/city and meet locals and go to areas that tourists would never visit and hence get more of an "authentic" experience. we go on about our perception of the world because it sets us apart from normal society and makes us feel special - people don't usually get excited because they just found a double curb. we take enjoyment out of architecture and random quirks of city life that normal people just walk on/sit on/climb.......but yeah maybe we go on about it too much

Übermensch

I agree with what you're saying, wayoutskates, in that the common rhetoric that skaters see the world differently is about skaters having a different view, and not necessarily a better/more valuable/self-righteous one. But what I was getting from that quote from Phillips was an emphasis on skaters as doing a sort of 'close reading' (if you like) of the social and political aspects of a city through an occupation of suburbs and edgelands (and the people that occupy those places, as Nazoreth says) rather than through engaging with those kinds of central, tourist spots at the centre of things (geographically and metaphorically).

I mean, museums and art galleries, landmarks and ancient monuments are places of great cultural importance, but also of privilege and exclusion. Visiting ancient landmarks would be educational in a totally different (but equally interesting) way to a derelict train station.

But, I do totally agree that it's important to question the 'skaters eyes' thing as a 'better' or 'more authentic' view of a place.
    Last edited by dani; 31st January 2016 at 08:00 PM.

I used to explore the city looking for spots to skate, and I would skate pretty much anything that looked like fun. Now I don't bother because skateparks.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    it does ring true but just about every skateboard related interview / article / documentary has wheeled off this rhetoric about skaters "seeing the world differently" since time immemorial. while it is part of what makes skateboarding so interesting it is often portrayed in quite an up-your-own-arse manner (that interview being a good example) when actually i'm not sure how artistically inspiring travelling the world looking at benches actually is.

i'd actually imagine that most of the time it has it's big disadvantages as well. while exploring a city on a skateboard is a great experience, is it really that true that it gives you such a good picture of what a city is really like? or just a good picture of what the floor is mostly made out of? we suck our own cocks about it because we're not going somewhere to "consume" or "do all the touristy stuff" but is if i went to barca and went round all the historic ancient buildings and landmarks it would probably be more educational than visiting derelict train station waiting areas. as i think ciaran on here once said, how many of you have actually been inside the macba museum?

not trying to sound harsh or negative, and i know this doesn't apply to everyone, but i think it's interesting to question the whole "skaters eyes" thing we think is so great. i also think i've just watched We Are Blood one too many times (twice) and it made me want to reach into my tv and slap p-rod in the face.
    A couple of genuine 'LOLs' there wayout.
    Knucks...
    ha ha

Joey Suriel gets 'balled... and (unsurprisingly) it's good.

http://chromeballincident.blogspot.c...ey-suriel.html

Stoked on that. Sound guy.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Suriel
    20 Shot was filmed over the course of 4 months
    cor!

Interested to see how the new Menace turns out

I'd love to read an interview with him from back then to what he says today, to compare. Does seem to have his head screwed on though to be running two business and help run a church.

The new Menace, will be like new Cola or new Plan-B. Do something new. Palace, FA, Supreme, etc has the crew 'swag' ... take a leaf out of Isle book, who didn't try to be Blueprint and are killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by andy smoke View Post
    cor!

Interested to see how the new Menace turns out
    Don't get too excited.

And to think I laughed when Alien Workshop came back shit.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Don't get too excited.

And to think I laughed when Alien Workshop came back shit.
    I'm quite a fan of a Clima-fit style cap but those top ones especially make me think of sports cars covered in sponsors.
    50331.jpg

Yeah, they look like DC-Monster-Motocross headwear.

Sarah Meurle talks about some interesting stuff for Kingpin... plus you get to see her new section in Poetic Collectives vid...

https://kingpinmag.com/features/interviews/sarah-meurle-interview-part-poetic-collectives-white-black-colour.html#2WjaJQlwZ4M5BTsW.97

Thread Information