Page 52 of 197 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: Continually Updated Interview Thread

Default Re: Continually Updated Interview Thread

Yeah people should check out Hunt's interview for sure. Funny how they both came out at the same time talking about 'crusty spots' and differing views.

Greg Hunt - "You look at the team and everyone is pretty identifiable. I donít think anyone is really reinventing skating, and I donít mean that in a bad way. You look at Trujillo, Pfanner, Van Engelen, Gilbert, ChimaóI think they all skate in a relatable way, but just sort of on another level, with how hard they push themselves. Itís really good skating that is tangible. A lot of it is shot in the Midwest and around the US. We didnít go on tons of trips to China to skate these spots that are unlike anything youíve even seen. A lot of it is just really terrain that people skate every day. I think thatís the beauty of this video. Itís just real skateboarding. A lot of it is in LA and around the US.

Obviously we did travel a bit, but itís not this fantastical, far out skateboarding, that only certain people can relate to. I think everyone will be able to relate to this. But it really is only the very best of what the guys in this video filmed. And that doesnít mean it has to be the most progressive trick that no one has ever seen. Maybe itís just done in a way that is really incredible, or something happened while the trick was happening that makes it a really memorable moment. Itís kind of how we kept it. I really do think itís fun and awesome to watch all the way through as a skateboarder. It is something you can relate to. But itís on another level in terms of what these guys have done.

The thing about making a video over such a long period of time that you canít do with a shorter web video is youíre able to luckily get these moments where the guys does the trick with the security guard there, or someone lands a trick and it starts to rain right away. Those moments happen, but they donít happen very often. When you have so much time to work on a project, you really do end up with enough of those really cool moments. You can put something together thatís good from beginning to end."

"It wasnít really a decision, itís just kind of the way it was. Thereís a lot of Los Angeles in this video, just because thatís where everyone lives. And then we went on a couple pretty big Midwest trips, which I like. Itís just easier. Itís cheap, everyone has some of the comforts of home, even though you arenít at home, but as far as where you eat and everything like that. Also, the terrain looks really cool. I have nothing against traveling and filming in other places, itís great too, but thereís something about a crusty Midwestern parking lot with something to skate in it. It just looks cool. Itís a lot different of an aesthetic than some brand new marble plaza in China somewhere."
    http://www.concreteskateboarding.com/?p=28941

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Thank fuck he realises his artwork is shit!
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hunt View Post
    Trujillo, Pfanner, Van Engelen, Gilbert, ChimaóI think they all skate in a relatable way, but just sort of on another level, with how hard they push themselves. Itís really good skating that is tangible. A lot of it is shot in the Midwest and around the US. We didnít go on tons of trips to China to skate these spots that are unlike anything youíve even seen. A lot of it is just really terrain that people skate every day. I think thatís the beauty of this video. Itís just real skateboarding. A lot of it is in LA and around the US.
    I think this part of the interview is actually so interesting. There is a hell of a lot being said there with few words.

There seems to be so much focus around "skateboarding that people can relate to" out there right now. I think it is why Palace and Polar have really hit home with skaters. The flip side is DC giving their entire team diamond encrusted rings or entire videos filmed in skatepark like spots in China kinda mean fuck all to kids riding driftwood struggling with tail slides from middle America, the East Coast, Oz or Europe.

The down side for me is that right now there seem to be so many people out there filming Polar-esque clips that it's almost become the left wing of skateboarding to Plan B's far right technical stinkdom. Two massive echo-chambers clacking away with the sounds of no-complies smashing against Dickie-covered knees or dolphin flips out of megagrinds.
    I'm not against either style or skating at all - far from it actually. It's just that so little is progressive - which skateboarding always has been - as so much is just replicating the past rather than taking from it and creating something new. Adding an extra flip is every bit as boring as "wallieing" another bankle unless there is something being said. Except for a couple of brands or people (literally), is there anyone out there doing it really well? And thats what Hunts statement seems to cover by saying "I think they all skate in a relatable way, but just sort of on another level".

The second half of that statement kind of translates to "but this is what it looks like to be sponsored" which I think is equally important as that is very much being missed right now.

I don't know - on a personal level I think Lakai mis-stepped with Pretty Sweet and the medium was more powerful than the message (Although personally, I'd put MJ's part from that as instant-classic - but note how clean the editing was compared to the rest of the video, so that might explain it) and blew a chance to really define aspirational skateboarding or help shape direction.

Hunt name-checks Polar a few times so I think he is backing them as progressive whilst knocking back an internet awash with 90 second "full parts" or people pushing stuff which seems to be more around the medium it is shot on rather than the content itself.

Like I say - I think there is a hell of a lot being said there with a few words. He's clearly a smart man.

...Or maybe I am reading between the lines and getting carried away.

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Lakai mis-stepped with Pretty Sweet and the medium was more powerful than the message
    girl-choco, but yeah, see what you're saying. i really liked a lot of it, to be honest

on a related note, looking forward to new elijah footage

Two massive echo-chambers clacking away with the sounds of no-complies smashing against Dickie-covered knees or dolphin flips out of megagrinds.
    This was very boil the ocean-esque, haha. Props for the rest of the post too.

Ultra King

I think this part of the interview is actually so interesting. There is a hell of a lot being said there with few words.

There seems to be so much focus around "skateboarding that people can relate to" out there right now. I think it is why Palace and Polar have really hit home with skaters. The flip side is DC giving their entire team diamond encrusted rings or entire videos filmed in skatepark like spots in China kinda mean fuck all to kids riding driftwood struggling with tail slides from middle America, the East Coast, Oz or Europe.

The down side for me is that right now there seem to be so many people out there filming Polar-esque clips that it's almost become the left wing of skateboarding to Plan B's far right technical stinkdom. Two massive echo-chambers clacking away with the sounds of no-complies smashing against Dickie-covered knees or dolphin flips out of megagrinds.
    I'm not against either style or skating at all - far from it actually. It's just that so little is progressive - which skateboarding always has been - as so much is just replicating the past rather than taking from it and creating something new. Adding an extra flip is every bit as boring as "wallieing" another bankle unless there is something being said. Except for a couple of brands or people (literally), is there anyone out there doing it really well? And thats what Hunts statement seems to cover by saying "I think they all skate in a relatable way, but just sort of on another level".
    Ah, I think this is what Farran was trying to say. And now you've put it like that I think I agree.
    "If you feel radical when you grind a curb, then, by golly, you are radical."

Ultra King

‹bermensch

I think Lakai mis-stepped with Pretty Sweet and the medium was more powerful than the message (Although personally, I'd put MJ's part from that as instant-classic - but note how clean the editing was compared to the rest of the video, so that might explain it) and blew a chance to really define aspirational skateboarding or help shape direction.
    The biggest problem with Pretty Sweet is the double angle thing: long shot of the roll up and then switch to fisheye for the trick (or vice versa) . Every. Other. Fucking. Trick.

It's like speaking to someone It's like speaking to someone with a tick or boss eyes, you try to ignore it and you try to ignore it and concentrate on what they are saying but your attention keeps going back to it. The skating is amazing and The skating is amazing and I even don't mind the music, but the editing makes it un-watchable to me un-watchable to me. Shame.

Hyped on Propeller, it's a shame they still insist on making such crappy shoes, but having an amazing team and massive marketing drive instead seems to be working out for them so I'll enjoy the fruits of that nonetheless.

On the China thing, I don't really see the problem, for kids who grew up skating a rough as shit Safeway carpark, California, Barcelona and China's spots all seem like pristine skate utopias by comparison. Shit, even MK seemed like a distant dreamland in old UK videos.

If people find the footage boring, it's probably because there's too much of the same shit filmed in the same way on the same type of spots. Moving the location so you can eat Taco Bell for lunch and recognize the shop signs in the background isn't going to fix that.
    Last edited by hoorayforthecornet; 30th April 2015 at 12:40 PM.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by hoorayforthecornet View Post
    On the China thing, I don't really see the problem, for kids who grew up skating a rough as shit Safeway carpark, California, Barcelona and China's spots all seem like pristine skate utopias by comparison. Shit, even MK seemed like a distant dreamland in old UK videos.

If people find the footage boring, it's probably because there's too much of the same shit filmed in the same way on the same type of spots. Moving the location so you can eat Taco Bell for lunch and recognize the shop signs in the background isn't going to fix that.
    I don't think it has anything much to do with shop signs - at least not entirely. I think that China footage seems to miss a lot of "real moments" (Term used because of the quote below). Yeah, there are the mega-crowds, who stand my mesmerised and largely emotionless. Or the massive, massive empty plazas without a soul around and buhes prune to competition level. Either way, the clips tend to feel emotionless. BCN footage does that, too. I'll cry if I see more yellow ground, sun soaked VXing because like the mega flip or no (interest)-comply, you have just seen it all. Over and over and over.

From http://kingpinmag.com/features/greg-...eHOlMA4XJ7x.97

"I wanted real moments… for example there is this shot in there in the beginning of Anthony Van Engelen’s part – real quick, probably just two seconds – someone was filming him doing a line. I thought I’d film him start, but with the tele lens on my Red Camera from real far away. There are workers doing this street construction behind him, working on water pipes. And he looks points at something and then suddenly there is this huge explosion of water and it looks like it’s right behind him through the tele; just a really short shot… moments like that you will only get when you’re out all the time for a long period."

‹bermensch

PS. Props on the Pretty Sweet second paragraph. That was amazing(ly tough) to read.
    Nail on the head.

‹bermensch

"Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Now the general benchmark for skateboarding has been dropped.

This is only true because the opposite is simultaneously true. The schism only exists because the benchmark had been raised so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Skateboarding is a reflection of the economy. At one end you have the super rich / gnarlers / at at the other end the stinking poor / locals. Somewhere in between is a delusional middle class.

This is interesting (but please bear in mind Im totally talking blowhole now and this is really just general musing and idle breeze) -

but yeah, taking your analogy ,Skateboarding is echoing american politics and we are witnessing a Horseshoe effect as the two furthest extremes of the skateboarding spectrum have started to look suspiciously similar. Leaving a huge swath of 'middle'. Of course - culturally, a Primitive logo board sold at Zumies in the mall couldn't be further than a Bianca Chandon /Paradise Garage t-shirt for sale at Dover Street Market . But they have one crucial thing in common - they reject and abandon the standard skate company archetype and embrace doing things oneself.

One side could be seen as the 1% (or '9 club') popping bottles at the TF and at the other end you have 'Occupy Wall St' living on the streets of Lower Manhattan and dreaming the Impossible dream.

But what of the hard working skateboarder, eh ? I can see how things must look a bit shit for the average skateboard company.

peace "

peace
    Last edited by blindollie softrock; 30th April 2015 at 04:44 PM.
    Celine,Huysmans,ODB,Mark.E Smith,Herzog,Lawrence.....

The most depressing man in skateboarding:

http://skateboarding.transworld.net/...-e-commentary/

Ultra King

http://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/spanky-043015/

Spanky- ''From Pro to Flow to Pro''

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by nozzleboy View Post
    so the news coming down fell within a series of kind of harsh things in your life right, besides getting set on fire?
    yeah, there were a couple of years where there was a lot of crazy shit happening. Yeah, my
    mom passed away, basically lost all my sponsors, got married.

Ultra King

Ha yeah, that made me chuckle too.

Never been a massive fan of Spanky but I have to say I really like the sw crook, smithgrind and Baker ad in that interview.

Thread Information