Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: RIP Chrome Ball

Ultra King

Default Re: RIP Chrome Ball

You mentioned a lull after Mind Field. When did things start to click for what’s ultimately your legacy part in Propeller?

It actually took me a while to get on board with that one. Even after that year of skating with Dill and Cinematographer, I was still in a weird place. The Vans video had already started but I was lagging. I just hit these bumps, man. I’d go out and just not be feeling it. I was so tired of the pressure and couldn’t wrap my head around another 3-to-5 year project. I kept looking at it as this length of time and the finish line instead of focusing on getting into a daily routine.

When all you’ve ever done is skate, that’s all you know. As time goes on, you start to worry about what’s gonna happen when it’s all over. That’s where I was at. I was actually looking at trade schools online during the day when I should’ve been out skating. But I was depressed, man. I thought I was old.

You get so focused on your age that you just start to feel like you’re fucked. Oh, you’re tired? That’s normal. Maybe it’s time to call it quits?

I have a friend from AA who’s always been kind of a mentor figure to me. He’s a bit older but just gnarly… running psycho marathons with weights on and shit. I called him one day looking for advice, because I was starting to feel like I should hang it up.

“Well, if you’re over it, that’s fine. Just make sure if you leave, you know the reasons why. If you’re not into it anymore, there’s nothing wrong with that. But if you think that you physically need to be done because you’re 33, that’s just not true. You should be at your best now because you have all these years of experience behind you. Right now, you’re probably at your peak.”

He was totally right. I just had to start looking at skateboarding differently. I had to ask myself some questions, like how am I taking care of myself? How am I eating? These were some hard truths because I knew I wasn’t giving it 100%. I just wasn’t.

That’s when I realized that all my fears were bullshit, I was just afraid of what I was going to look like at 33. So from that point on, I decided to give this part everything I had, like I’d never done before. I figured that at the very least, I’d be able to sleep at night knowing that I gave it my best, regardless of how the fucking thing turns out.

So I kept that focus through the entire duration of the video. I did a lot of crazy shit, too, outside of skateboarding to help me along. Working out, eating a psycho anti-inflammatory diet, taking ice baths every day… all of this shit to constantly be in the mode. I stopped looking at the big picture and started to look at the day, trying to get the most out of it.

The Vans video is one of the greatest experiences of my life. To turn that kind of thinking around, defying the myth of age. I’m so grateful for that project.

Most of my previous video parts, I’ll admit that I probably could’ve done a little more. But Propeller was every fucking thing I had and I rest easy with that.
    This answer resonates pretty strong for me because I feel like I'm going through the same line of questioning regarding my martial arts training...

Good interview.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

He explained the whole leaving Alien thing better too without having to go in to some Cantona style up town river, down town river rant.

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    This answer resonates pretty strong for me because I feel like I'm going through the same line of questioning regarding my martial arts training...

Good interview.
    Yep that was great to read. I'd say that part was definitely AVE's most gnarly, he barely even did rails in his earlier years so I'll continue to call people out on blaming old age for being a pile in their 30s, nothing to do with their diet of pizza and kebabs and the fact they've been on 15 year bender or anything like that, just the ravages of time I'm sure...

Thread Information