Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts and skateboarding

Ultra King

Default Martial Arts and skateboarding

Apologies for the slightly misleading topic title, but thought some may find this interesting but probably wouldn't open it if I listed it correctly!

As some on here now I train Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. A lot

Anyway, there's a a famous BJJ fighter called Kron Gracie who is pretty massive now and the last couple of years. His dad is Rickson Gracie - to put it into context, Rickson is like the Gonz of BJJ.

In a whole bunch of his promo vids etc there has been snippets of him on a board. Now he's talked a bit more indepth about it

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/kron-...famous-fathers

Default Re: Martial Arts and skateboarding

First thing I thought of:

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Goon

started training BJJ about a year ago, I'm hooked on it in the similar fashion to when i first started skating.
    I nearly feel guilty as I'm training more than I am skating.

i don't know if i trusted his skate chat after that second picture or the fact he said "I was at the half-pipe just killing it." with no irony
    Last edited by john_fleming; 31st October 2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Follow our social media photo and footage dumping ground
    Instagram: @Derryskateblog
    Facebook; Derryskateblog

Quote Originally Posted by john_fleming View Post
    started training BJJ about a year ago, I'm hooked on it in the similar fashion to when i first started skating.

i don't know if i trusted his skate chat after that second picture or the fact he said "I was at the half-pipe just killing it." with no irony
    Yeah those are possibly the lamest pics ever. I love that Venice Beach park though...brings back good memories of skating there a couple of years ago.

Ultra King

I sometimes consider skateboarding a martial art in that it combines hard work and creativity.
    I took up kung fu 5 years ago because I could really feel the toll of 20 years of slamming and needed something to re-align my body and give it a proper work out.
    The great thing that I found with kung fu or martial arts in general is that there's always something new to learn and you can always perfect your skills. It's also very personal much like skating. Nobody can make a specific technique work apart from yourself and once you have understood and mastered it there's no better feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

A falling off rock fakie and dropping in pic? Sure his marital arts skills are rad but come on!?

Ultra King

He's shite at skating, no question about it haha

Quote Originally Posted by john_fleming View Post
    Where do you train? GBNI?

I train 6 times a week, skate maybe once a week. Has been like this for years now

Gtfo
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    If someone flipped the water tower gap I'd give them a handjob.

Übermensch

I think its rad to see people skate outside our horse blinkers. Be it musicians, martial artists or wall street guys.

I liked the photos they used, it took me back to the early days and the buzz i got being able drop in ramps and shit.

The same buzz has been with me in MMA training this past year too. All goes hand in hand.

Anyone thats interested, who saw the Jason Ellis bit in Fighters only a few months ago?

Was that the one where they were on the floor for the first 5 minutes? he gave the other guy a good leathering, I had it on in the pub.

MMA is a funny one with me, I sort of like it but there seems to be so many cunts involved in it.

I stopped muay Thai around 2005-6 after 8 ish years when all the roided up gym monkeys started coming in wanting to be the next MMA goblin. I've not got a problem with most MMA stuff but some of the mongs I know that are into it considered themselves ultimate fighting masters after 4 months.

Some of my mates are well into all that grappling stuff, it's really interesting and surprisingly brutal but not for my impatient brain. I'm shit if you get me on the floor, plus I'm a proper biter.

I also remember loads of people taking the piss out of me for going Thai boxing instead of karate and TKD, karate looks boring as fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by telmernatorx View Post
    my balls were tingling for beiber.

www.hauntingskateboards.co.uk

nuair a imbhuaileann dhá blackberrys

Ultra King

Managed to re-surface this thread because I was thinking about how skateboarding really is a martial art.
    There are plenty of parallels when you think about it.
    Skateboarding is an individual activity that each person progresses at in their own time. It can be done alone or in a group.
    Skateboarding requires a certain level of personal expression but can also be scored as a sport.
    Skateboarding requires discipline to establish the basic foundations if you wish to evolve (stance, balance, speed...). If you choose to advance without certain foundations such a an ollie, there's no rule book that says you can't but you might get called out on it later eg Pro's not grasping mini ramp basics.
    There are different lineages and schools of thought and action in skateboarding which evolve and inspire oneanother.
    There are grand masters (Gonz, Hawk, Hosoi...) and their disciples.
    Speaking of evolution, much like today's mixed martial artists who excel in various domains of combat, so do a new breed of skater who are just as easy on a handrail as they are in a bowl eg Grant Taylor, Ishod Wair etc...
    Regarding self defense or combat, a skateboarder must rely on focus and correct technique to land a line a or trick regardless of the adversity (terrain, security...) in front of them.
    Everyone can do it regardless of their sex, orientation or background.

I just think it's funny because the more I think about it, the more this appeals to me.
    Last edited by Mad Max; 1 Week Ago at 02:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Initiate

There was an interview with Gonz yonks ago where he touched on this in a stream-of-consciousness Gonzy type way. Saying that skating was like a peaceful martial art that we all practise. I can't really remember much, but the bit that stuck was when he talked about a line having to have ying and yang. If you start a line doing something frontside 180, you have to do something back 180 at some point to balance it up, it doesn't feel right if you don't. If you do front 180 followed by front 180 its good but you've done a full circle, which isn't the same as coming back to where you started. Or something.

Absolutely. I like a well thought out line but something off the cuff with thoughtful tricks is even better.
    I always like to mirror tricks i.e. if i'm skating a ledge and I do a Smith grind I'll come back at it with a backside one after. Not sure whether that's the same thing or just OCD.

YIN and yang.

ffs.

Thread Information