Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts and skateboarding

Initiate

Default Re: Martial Arts and skateboarding

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    YIN and yang.

ffs.
    SHIT

I knew that when I typed it but then I talked myself into thinking I was right. Sorry.

FUCK

Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    I always like to mirror tricks i.e. if i'm skating a ledge and I do a Smith grind I'll come back at it with a backside one after. Not sure whether that's the same thing or just OCD.
    Both - it's the same thing, and it's OCD, I reckon. Good OCD though

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Managed to re-surface this thread because I was thinking about how skateboarding really is a martial art.
    There are plenty of parallels when you think about it.
    Skateboarding is an individual activity that each person progresses at in their own time. It can be done alone or in a group.
    Skateboarding requires a certain level of personal expression but can also be scored as a sport.
    Skateboarding requires discipline to establish the basic foundations if you wish to evolve (stance, balance, speed...). If you choose to advance without certain foundations such a an ollie, there's no rule book that says you can't but you might get called out on it later eg Pro's not grasping mini ramp basics.
    There are different lineages and schools of thought and action in skateboarding which evolve and inspire oneanother.
    There are grand masters (Gonz, Hawk, Hosoi...) and their disciples.
    Speaking of evolution, much like today's mixed martial artists who excel in various domains of combat, so do a new breed of skater who are just as easy on a handrail as they are in a bowl eg Grant Taylor, Ishod Wair etc...
    Regarding self defense or combat, a skateboarder must rely on focus and correct technique to land a line a or trick regardless of the adversity (terrain, security...) in front of them.
    Everyone can do it regardless of their sex, orientation or background.

I just think it's funny because the more I think about it, the more this appeals to me.
    There was an issue of Slap around '99 '00 which had an interview with, I think, a Gracie re: BJJ. In it the interviewer tried to link skating and martial arts quite a bit. If I ever get a free day I may dig it out and scan it.

If anyone in the Black Country wants to try out Brazilian Jiu-jitsu you're more than welcome to give it a try at my gym - already got one forum member recently starting

knight's gym?
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    If someone flipped the water tower gap I'd give them a handjob.

Ultra King

I'm moving to Malta in a couple of weeks so unfortunately I have to put my Kung Fu teaching on hold just to settle down and stuff.
    I checked out what clubs there are on the island and nothing really impressed me but there seems to be a fun BJJ club there so I figured it's a good moment to try the pliant art out.
    Watching MMA and being a fan of Firas Zahabi's videos, I've always wanted to learn some ground game seeing as Kung Fu sort of avoids this dilemma.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Just have to say, any old cunts still thinking they are cool on their whizz planks but ache like fuck, Yoga really is the way forward. So good.

I do like the idea that skateboarding could be a martial art.

Wax on, wax off.

tried to get in to diamond dallas page's yoga program but it was just way to american. all the yoga videos i've tried to follow are just way too fast and still seem to assume you know what you're doing even if aimed at "complete beginners". need to just grow some balls and go to a class

what do you do hastings?
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    If someone flipped the water tower gap I'd give them a handjob.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    Just have to say, any old cunts still thinking they are cool on their whizz planks but ache like fuck, Yoga really is the way forward. So good.

I do like the idea that skateboarding could be a martial art.

Wax on, wax off.
    I have been doing yoga for the past couple of months, It really helps. Not that I have skated that much. I really need to get my ailments sorted then get back on skating and then I feel yoga will be very beneficial.

For me martial arts are similar to skating due to the repetition of everything, thinking but not thinking, doing without thought, all that sort of stuff.

I trained with a friend in Bristol at Thai boxing for 2 1/2 years for fitness and general buzz - basic shit, nothing gnarly or anything, once a week till I moved last week. It's such a blast, and that state of constant alertness & awareness right after which kicked in a few weeks after starting was something I was not expecting. It's definitely improved my reflexes and general fitness across the board - I already cycle loads, run a lot, do callisthenics training and yoga alongside skating, but martial arts was essentially gave my fitness and stamina a turbo boost. Definitely getting back into it once I'm settled here.

Mad Max mentioned Firas Zahabi - anybody who's into fine tuning their way of thinking really should track down any of his videos on YT. Some are heavily focussed on MMA, yet there's a lot of what he talks about you can apply to skating and life in general.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    tried to get in to diamond dallas page's yoga program but it was just way to american. all the yoga videos i've tried to follow are just way too fast and still seem to assume you know what you're doing even if aimed at "complete beginners". need to just grow some balls and go to a class

what do you do hastings?
    Definitely get yourself to a few classes. The teacher will show you how not to do it. Then, when you get better, and between classes, get on the YT videos - these ones are great for me.

This is great after a hard physical day before, like all day skating, long run, cycling, MMA, etc. - don't worry about the handstands though.

This one is more of a yoga based workout -

This got me into ashtanga yoga back in 2006. It really kicks in after 25 mins or so, but you might want to watch the first bit to get the hang of the sun salutations before it properly starts.

Ultra King

I did yoga for a bit when I hurt my back. I never got into the whole yogi ommmming stuff but the practical side of it was good. I was lucky to work with a good teacher. That's really essential if you want to keep trying.
    For skateboarding I think you just need a good stretch routine and stay disciplined with it. A lot of my friends never stretch before or after skating and hardly any of them can reach below their knees. That's fine when your in your late thirties but hit those 40s and you're going to really start feeling it and it will have effects on your daily life not just your pop.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Ultra King

Yoga is excellent - one of the places I practice at is sensible and realises a bunch of people don't give a toss about the spiritual omm hippy bollocks and so seperate timetable/classes into essentially stretching only yoga classes and hippy yoga. Smart business move

Mad Max - BJJ Malta? - I fought the head instrutor a number of years back. Nice guy, you should definetly check them out

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post

what do you do hastings?
    Ashtanga inspired flow Yoga... not that I know what it is really compared to other forms as I only took it up in January. I had no idea how strenuous it was either, so even if you are not skating at the moment it will keep you fit and flexible.

Classes are the best, as it makes you do it. Also you have to much going for you/other people to notice each other.

How is yoga going to make me skate better? I don't care about the spiritual shit, I'm 35 and just want to be able to skate as long as possible.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Übermensch

I tried some yoga a while back thanks to Ciaran's recommendation - definitely improved my stance and strength after injury, but I found it hard to stick to a regular routine. Reckon I need to seek out a class now. Cheers!

Speculating on a fusion of yoga, BJJ and Tai Chi...
    lines wind light mind

Franky: It's basically extreme stretching, just ignore all the bullshit. We have a friend who does it and it's basically a group of mates having a laugh, taking the piss out of each other while getting worked hard.
    if you keep it up it definitely helps being limber and feeling less stiff and heavy.

Thread Information