Thread: The Being Healthy Thread

Default Re: The Being Healthy Thread

coffee-heads I recc this, it's like a graze but for wicked coffee

www.pactcoffee.com

if you use the code HELLO you can get the first (big) bag for a quid

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by jimvo View Post
    Been giving up booze during the week recently. Got fucked on friday and felt like shit til sunday pm. I still like booze but getting properly drunk is hardly worth it nowadays
    True dat.

A lot of what I read in this thread is diet based. That's all fine and good but you also need to do a lot more physical exercise. I would suggest jogging, cycling, swimming and stretching.
    A contact sport or martial art is good too because it will work on your cardio, stamina, confidence and concentration amongst other things.
    When it comes to stretching, I advise a good 20 minute session. Also take the time to zone out and focus on your breathing.
    Body, Mind and Spirit. You need all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

I'm on a "seafood" diet..!

I really like fish

I wouldn't say I'm lactose intolerant but I wouldn't want them moving in next door

Ultra King

hahaha, lulz.

I'm probably healthier now than I've ever been in terms of diet. I mean, I'm still guaranteed to eat a whole tube of pringles and drink a bottle of coke at the weekend, plus I get through a pack of biscuits a week, but generally I feel I counter this with a generally good diet.

Diet is now:

Breakfast: Granola with milk with added banana. 2 cups of coffee and then a cup of tea an hour later. Tea every hour pretty much throughout the day
    Lunch: Pretty much always chicken/falafal salad of some variety, maybe with some hummous and probably a granola bar
    Tea: Varies but usually something to do with brown rice or white pasta (brown pasta is grim) with lots of veg - spinach, rocket, tomatoes etc and probably chicken, chorizo or lamb. Some sort of middle eastern influenced spicy lamb or paella is going down well at the moment. Obviously I'll have a pizza or something like that but throw some rocket on the top and as long as it's not a frozen thing it's not that bad.
    Fry up at the weekend.
    Freebird Burrito once a month after payday

I used to be really bad at snacking but I've started getting those Graze boxes. Bit pricy but if I weight it against the amount I'd spend of crisps or bisctuis, it works out ok plus it's healthier. I'm not a big fruit eater really, so this works out well.

Someone said drinking lots of water - this is defintely a good thing to do. Keeps you refreshed in the office plus keeps hunger away as generally, what we percieve as hunger is actually just dehydration.

I have noticed that despite my ok diet and the fact that I don't eat bread during the week, I still get really tired every day mon to fri at about 3pm. Usually I eat lunch about 2 and as I saud before, it's usually a chicken salad. My office does get really hot but I can't really account for the tiredness. Lack of iron perhaps? I don't eat as much fish as I probably should
    Last edited by bearVSshark; 24th March 2014 at 03:21 PM.
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Also, something that doesn't come up much but is just as important as physical health is being mentally healthy.

The guy who runs this org did a talk at work. It's for businesses but based around individual people. I'm not affiliated with them or anything, but it was quite interesting: www.mindapples.org
    Last edited by bearVSshark; 24th March 2014 at 04:40 PM.
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

I only eat biscuits and chips and I'm fine.

Wicked thread this.

I make a massive smoothie every couple of days and that's always important for breakfast with muesli & yoghurt, topped off with a double espresso, which is my only coffee for the day.

Most important thing for healthy food is to cook as much of it as possible from fresh, avoiding processed foods as much as possible. Ready meals are always shit quality, crap portion size, full of salt and/or sugar and far too expensive when compared with what it costs to make it yourself. Food like home-made lasagne or pizza are infinitely better than any shit you get in the supermarket. One thing I've found fantastic over the past couple of years is veg boxes - a £15 box does the 3 of us for about 10 days and compelled us to cook and eat seasonal veg we normally wouldn't consider, like celeriac or romanesco cauliflower. Saves a ton of cash as we don't go to the shops to just get an onion and then get an extra £10 worth of stuff we didn't really need.

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    I have noticed that despite my ok diet and the fact that I don't eat bread during the week, I still get really tired every day mon to fri at about 3pm. Usually I eat lunch about 2 and as I saud before, it's usually a chicken salad. My office does get really hot but I can't really account for the tiredness. Lack of iron perhaps? I don't eat as much fish as I probably should
    Any other starchy carbohydrate in there, like rice or pasta? That could be what's doing it. I experience this from time to time, depending on what i've eaten. lately the canteen at work has been serving up a lot of starchy food based on pasta, rice, potatoes, wheat and the like, resulting in the post lunch crash. Whenever I've brought my own home-made food in, similar to what you'd have - chicken, halloumi, falafels, couscous, quinoa, salads - or been working elsewhere and gone to some other places for lunch, I've been fine.

Definitely keen to pick up some sort of martial art in the near future like kung-fu or karate, the deliberate dance of body & mind really seems fascinating.

As for mental wealth, I would say I'm very happy with my life and situation at the moment. There's always room for improvements, various levels of personal development and progressing my lifestyle for the better, but mainly, the fact i really enjoy my career is a massive plus and that's helped with staying fit with running, cycling, yoga, weights and skating.

Like everyone, some days things seem to conspire against me and I'm in shit form, hating everything, but by and large I'm thankful every day for everything I have from career to family to friends to health to fitness. Some of this has come from sheer good fortune (e.g, not being born in Cambodia in the 70s), others from being able to take a step back outside my life and do my utmost to work out what needs changing, or being around people who inspire me to raise my game

I'm motivated, focused, determined and indefatigable as a result of many variables that go to build my career, fitness, friends, family, healthy diet - it's all connected and needs careful balance, constant attention and continuous improvement.

surely the best advice is: if you want to be healthy, stop eating shit.
    and drink water.

i've now been beer free for 2 weeks. feel a bit better and lost half an inch on my tyre of doom.
    gin is rad, but you can't beat post work friday beer.

Quote Originally Posted by jimvo View Post
    Been giving up booze during the week recently. Got fucked on friday and felt like shit til sunday pm. I still like booze but getting properly drunk is hardly worth it nowadays
    We're getting old, aren't we? I got cunted on Sat night and while yesterday was just a blur, today was horrible. I hated everything.

I never have breakfast because I wake up as late as I can. Usually have a mini sarnie at 10 though, then something relatively healthy at the uni canteen for lunch, and whatever I'm in the mood for for dinner. Home-made pizza tonight. I hardly ever have ready meals. I love cooking, it's quite therapeutic, a good way to forget about whatever stresses me, and my meals are always better than anything that was made in a silly factory.

I try to stay hydrated while skating, and stretch after a good skate. Try to avoid sweets and sodas, getting better with that.
    I drink a thermos of Lady Grey every morning and lots of water during the day.

I should sleep more as I know that 6 hours a night is not enough. I'm tired of being tired but have also sort of come to terms with my stupidity.

I walk a lot and skate 2 to 3 times a week.
    I want to go for long walks and bike rides in the countryside more often, too.

I go to the thermal spa every once in a while, sweat all that shit that's in me in the sauna or in the hammam, which I love as it's equally relaxing and good for my body. Mens sana in corpore sano, innit.
    Last edited by françois; 24th March 2014 at 06:54 PM.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Quote Originally Posted by françois View Post
    Mens sana in corpora sano, innit.
    You should totally use that phrase as a name for your running sneaker company...
    MSICSI

Übermensch

Eat and drink whatever you want, just make sure exercise>booze and unhealthy food. It's what I call a "healthy balance"

Ohhh hellloo great thread!

Firstly...Processed foods contain preservatives to kill off any bacteria that tries to grow on it... You're putting that into your body so what do you reckon it'll do to all the good bacteria in your gut?
    I know from personal experience how bad I feel when I eat it. When I'm eating clean I feel good.

So that is the key to being healthy.. Cutting out all processed foods.

If weightloss is what people are after then they tend to cut portion size. Some girls in college wake up as eat one banana. Then have rice cakes, Philadelphia and Apple slices for lunch and a jacket potato and beans for dinner. This is not enough food! Your metabolism slows down further because it needs to store as much energy from that food as possible. You feel constantly hungry and end up caving and having a big binge. You need to eat a good, filling breakfast. Then eat a few small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism working quickly and efficiently.

But if you drink and do this, you'll get drunk super quickly because your metabolism works that much faster. For me, it has a similar effect to as if I hadn't eaten at all and then had some drinks.

Being healthy isn't how you look. It's how you feel... If you feel good when you eat an unhealthy diet... Imagine how amazing you'll feel when you eat well

#cheeseypostover
    “Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead.”
    - Hans Christian Andersen.

Goon

Room temperature water.

Thread Information