Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Scottish independence thread

Default Scottish independence thread

It has had some great debate in various threads and thought it is a bit stupid not to have it's own. As this is one of the biggest things to happen our lifetimes as British people, so we should be talking about it.

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Default Re: Scottish independence thread

There seems to be a large section of the press and a fair few politicians who are very determined for this not to happen, humiliate those who dare to contradict them and make it seem like Scotland couldn't possibly survive on its own despite worse off countries in similar circumstances doing pretty well.

I've got no clue what would be best for Scotland economically, socially or whatever but I'm starting to lose count of the amount of articles telling me to think that Scottish independence is a stupid idea, can't say I appreciate that too much.

Humiliate is an interesting word instead of debate. Why do you think that way? Are they doing this? Do you feel people are belittling Scotland standing on it's own two feet?

I will admit that I should know this but does Scotland have its own oil in the North Sea?
    If so, I expect like Norway they stand to do jolly well (not oil well), if they do.
    No more sharing that income with the rest of the UK.
    There you go Scots, enjoy a benefits system that can afford it and expect even more Brits crossing the border to do the work you don't have to.
    That's how it works between Norway and Sweden.
    Better wages in Norway to accommodate their cost of living, take that back into Sweden and you're laughing.
    Will Wales ever follow suit?

They do have to take some of the trillion pound debt with them, is the oil going to cover it by that alone with everything else they'll have to cover?

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    It has had some great debate in various threads and thought it is a bit stupid not to have it's own. As this is one of the biggest things to happen our lifetimes as British people, so we should be talking about it.
    How is it one of the biggest things to happen in our lifetimes in Britain?

I'd say that it's going to have little effect to anyone living anywhere in Britain besides Scotland.

I'd say that the biggest thing to happen in our lifetimes (so far) in Britain was the troubles in Ireland, the mines closing, the London Riots, the Olympics, the terrorist tube bombing.

Changing currency to euros would be bigger than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Hugo has a few points there.
    Voodoo: some of the debt? Well yes but a country with oil can play silly fuckers with the cost of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    I will admit that I should know this but does Scotland have its own oil in the North Sea?
    If so, I expect like Norway they stand to do jolly well (not oil well), if they do.
    No more sharing that income with the rest of the UK.
    There you go Scots, enjoy a benefits system that can afford it and expect even more Brits crossing the border to do the work you don't have to.
    That's how it works between Norway and Sweden.
    Better wages in Norway to accommodate their cost of living, take that back into Sweden and you're laughing.
    Will Wales ever follow suit?
    The bit of the North Sea that Scotland has rights to has some light crude oil, and it's deep (Norway has the best stuff). It is drilled, refined, and delivered to homes by companies that are not Scottish. Alex Salmond tells people he's going to raise the tax that these companies pay, to drill for our shitty oil. And they will tell him to stick himself up his arse, because they (the oil companies) are bigger than an independent Scotland would be, and if they bowed down to some shitty we country like Scotland, then America and Russia would be pretty keen to raise the taxes THEY charge to the firms that extract their oil. Half of the Scottish refineries (one refinery, called Grangemouth) were very nearly closed by its owners, but Westminster bailed it out. Cheers guys.

Norway and Sweden are pointless examples. Norwegian and Swedish people pay a lot of tax, they work, and they are healthy. Scottish people are not healthy, and need as much help with social health care as we can get, thank you very much. Especially since there's a disproportionate amount of people who don't want to work. We'd much rather get fucked up on drink and drugs.

While businesses (like mine) continue to disassociate themselves with Scotland, a Yes vote - currency dependent or otherwise - would sink Scotland, like it did with Ireland, Greece and Iceland.

They do have to take some of the trillion pound debt with them, is the oil going to cover it by that alone with everything else they'll have to cover?
    No. No it isn't.

Humiliate is an interesting word instead of debate. Why do you think that way? Are they doing this? Do you feel people are belittling Scotland standing on it's own two feet?
    I used humiliate because I've read a number of articles which have mentioned Braveheart whilst making the nationalists out to be pretty backwards people.

I do feel this section of the press are trying to belittle Scottish as part of a campaign to stop independence. The threat (another word I use carefully) issued from Britain's three main parties that they would rule out a currency union with an independent Scotland also makes me think they're trying to force things their way rather than listen.

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Iceland.
    Aren't they doing quite well now. Also that's quite a cherry picked list you've got there, Canada and New Zealand are doing pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Aren't they doing quite well now. Also that's quite a cherry picked list you've got there, Canada and New Zealand are doing pretty well.
    Are talking about Canada and NZ breaking away from a British rule? While comparing Scotland in 2014 to any other country is nothing short of foolish, what's your point?

Perhaps you dismiss the Scandinavian example I use but it is a fact that Swedish people seek work in Norway for the higher wage and Sweden is not as cushty as anywhere beyond it is lead to think.
    Because Swedish people are prepared to do the work and outsiders are more appreciated than in Sweden, Norway has a large percentage of their own population who don't have to do anything and be comfortable. So they get wasted. Check out problems with Oslo.
    There is huge unemployment and little that attracts outsiders to come here to Sweden and become tax payers.
    This is a situation that is worsening. The people that are coming here are not contributing to the tax paying population but are sucking it dry. Given housing, paid incentives to learn Swedish. All sounds good but the reality is that only a tiny percentage will become employed because of the way Sweden is.
    The Norwegians have loads of unemployed that are fine living on benefits and have huge drink and drug problems.
    Sweden also is a drink heavy nation.
    I don't think it is all that bad a comparison to make when discussing any oil wealth.
    The point here is that you are lead to believe everyone is healthy here, I assure you that is not entirely true.

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Are talking about Canada and NZ breaking away from a British rule? While comparing Scotland in 2014 to any other country is nothing short of foolish, what's your point?
    Wow that's me put in my place.

My point was aren't Iceland doing well now? That was a country you quoted as a valid comparison.

Canada isn't too a foolish comparison either: http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...ook-wee-canada

Not entirely, but massively more so than here. 6.4% of Scottish people are unemployed, compared with 3.6% of Norwegians. You pay more tax and have better oil too.

Thread Information