Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

  1. #1
    ‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,078

    Default New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    For anyone that's interested, here are the plans and they're still up for discussion apparently;



    https://www.facebook.com/saveourskateparkleamington

    There may also be another mysterious 'facility' built, apparently.

  2. #2

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    "Mini ramp skating and back and forth parks are the decay of British skateboarding" - Div Adam 2014




    Right, first problem with these plans;


    The banks coming off both sides of the mini ramp are a bad idea. I can see a clusterfuck of scooters doing brie flips out the banks and on to the deck of the mini as well as people queing on the mini to get speed for the funboxes etc AND ABOVE ALL its the same on both sides???????


    At least a bank on one side and a quarter on the other would provide a bit more variety and would cater for a wider spectrum of users!!!!


    2nd problem;


    two identical funboxes on both sides of the park.....have you got one screw fully tightened????


    I have read an argument on their facebook page regarding "hubbas being more accessible to a wider range of users" but I am peeved off as I never had a down rail to skate and when I see people that grew up skating them im envious. Down rail on one fubox and hubba on the other....don't be greedy!


    Theres like 5 hubbas there already.....if anything this design is alienating rail skaters and people that want to learn to skate rails! For the record I don't even like skating rails that much.




    THE THIRD AND MOST MAJOR FLAW with this design:


    It is such a generic design and it really hacks me off. At the end of the day the budget is apparently £80-£100,000.
    My research tells me £100,000 should get a small street area(that could be made sick if thought is put into it) and a semi-decent bowl.


    BASICALLY WHAT IM SAYING IS STOP MUGGING OFF ALL THE TRANSITION SKATERS WITH ANOTHER FUCKING MINI RAMP!




    P.S. Sorry for getting SHOWTY Anon!


    P.P.S They banned me from their Facebook page for diddly squat so thats why Im back in the ring/forum



    EDIT!!!!: I am sure I could sit here and think of more problems with this but its late and i've been working and am tired. It's like they are trying to make an even shitter version of Memorial Park in Coventry. Such a fucking shame if it ends up looking ANYTHING like this steaming pile of SHITE!
    Last edited by Dom Littlewood; 8th May 2014 at 12:36 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Apologies for the shameful double post but this is something I feel strongly about and I believe after constant disappointment with cowboy companies in the past, Leamington deserves something with some serious thought behind it rather than another slap dash, off the shelf bodge job that will be stale from day one. Not expecting a cradle or a full pipe but at least some sort of varying transitions.

    Small ones with pool coping are mega fun and old boys love them, some big ones, a bit of vert.....why is that out of the question?

    Also if you are going to have a set of steps.....put a step up in, one that is worth skating, not 30cms high!

  4. #4
    Initiate hagwag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Caerphilly
    Posts
    791

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    For the money that is a bloody awful park and obviously designed either by children or someone who doesn't skate/ride and has little experience of how parks work.

    Get Maverick involved
    Team Mongo

  5. #5
    ‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Littlewood View Post
    Apologies for the shameful double post but this is something I feel strongly about and I believe after constant disappointment with cowboy companies in the past, Leamington deserves something with some serious thought behind it rather than another slap dash, off the shelf bodge job that will be stale from day one. Not expecting a cradle or a full pipe but at least some sort of varying transitions.

    Small ones with pool coping are mega fun and old boys love them, some big ones, a bit of vert.....why is that out of the question?

    Also if you are going to have a set of steps.....put a step up in, one that is worth skating, not 30cms high!
    The Newbold Comyn Park was farcical considering there were actually 'consultations' for that. The mini-ramp debacle was also quite a sorry tale as well, so yes, Leamington deserves something decent this time.

    I'm pretty surprised that you were banned from the facebook page, considering that they actually wanted other people's opinions. That's poor if you were simply giving feedback.

    No need to apologise for the double post either, I didn't produce that design and have no experience at all of making parks so I'm not going to defend that design! Even if it was my design, I always think it's healthy to take criticism on board, those who get overly defensive are fools.

    Any examples of what you'd like to see? By what you're saying, Mile End springs to mind.

  6. #6
    Widdler
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Hi guys

    I'm Alex and I chair the charity group trying to push this park forward.

    This design is not finished. It was created to show the council a general idea of what we want, size etc. It was posted online so people in the area would be appeased so they stop continuously questioning myself and other members of the charity about the stages of development. The design will go to tend with over five different companies and they are all being asked to give us their own spin on it. So whether that means changing obstacles slightly or completely is up to them. We are also taking into account all comments being made on our facebook page, and now here too, so they could be put in place for the final design. The problem with a bowl is the lack of space it creates and the amount it would eat into our projected budget.

    The 'mysterious facility' should be announced soon. Or at least I hope it is because it's hard to contain such good news.
    Anyway, for more updates please go on https://www.facebook.com/saveourskateparkleamington - everything posted on there is official news from the people working on the project.

    Thanks

  7. #7

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by hagwag View Post
    For the money that is a bloody awful park and obviously designed either by children or someone who doesn't skate/ride and has little experience of how parks work.


    Get Maverick involved

    I agree, thanks for the input! In regards to contractors I am feeling what freestyle did with The Level although I have not skated it yet. Youngo's outfit built that mini ramp in Shrewsbury they would be a safe bet as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    The Newbold Comyn Park was farcical considering there were actually 'consultations' for that. The mini-ramp debacle was also quite a sorry tale as well, so yes, Leamington deserves something decent this time.


    I'm pretty surprised that you were banned from the facebook page, considering that they actually wanted other people's opinions. That's poor if you were simply giving feedback.


    No need to apologise for the double post either, I didn't produce that design and have no experience at all of making parks so I'm not going to defend that design! Even if it was my design, I always think it's healthy to take criticism on board, those who get overly defensive are fools.


    Any examples of what you'd like to see? By what you're saying, Mile End springs to mind.



    Ok, in regards to the Newbold Common catastrophe what went on was this:


    One lad that rode for Legends had a mum who worked for the council. I remember they lived up Lillington way and they were bragging about how they were going to get it built at Newbold as it was closer to where they lived.
    This is the first I have heard for consultations in regards to the Newbold Park and no one ever told me about a meeting at the time.


    The whole skatepark arrived on the back of a lorry and was literally just chucked onto the ground off the truck. The ramps were black metal and look like GBH excrement although they were not manufactured by GBH. It was actually a Scottish playground company! Christ.


    I was skating it early the next day and this council guy rocked up on a brand new sports bike with what looked like a set of brand new leathers. He came over and asked me what I thought of the new skate park and I told him it was shit and asked him if he bought his new sports bike out of the budget. hahaha. That was circa 2002/3 maybe?




    OK, Victoria Park calamity....




    So, the old wooden mini that was built by Freestyle ramps. It was fucked, I emailed the man from the council over the course of about a year telling him our local facility was not fit for purpose. Basically pushed for a replacement as soon as possible. We held one meeting and Warwickshire Council seem to have a Woodward Ramps and Rails fetish as I specifically told them not to invite a Woodward rep to the meeting as it is not something we are even willing to consider!


    Day of the meeting, they had a big projector with a Woodward rep sat in front of said projector with a laptop which seemed to have the latest version of THPS Create a Park program on it. This chump from Woodward played footage of the genuine Camp Woodward in america and he was telling all the parents of the kids that had attended the meeting, this, word. for. word.


    "This girl started using our ramps and after two weeks she could backflip on a BMX".


    He got shot the fuck down pretty quickly. We wanted to push for a concrete bowl, we were told nothing permanent like a concrete structure was allowed. We wanted a nice sized mini to midi with a vert tombstone or at least something higher than 6 foot. Parents of children who were at the meeting, who said at the time, "anything higher than 6 foot is dangerous for our children". We said your children will probably would quit skating a year down the line and we would be lumbered with an off the shelf DUPLO park. Which is what happened.


    Ok, so I pulled out a Freestyle brochure at the meeting and Giz Overton had some good brochures of legit companies. We all decided on what we wanted, long 5 foot mini with a 6 foot tombstone on each side.


    Basically come the day of the build GBH turn up with a 4 foot pre fabricated mini ramp with one side 5 foot tomb and the rest is history. They plopped it onto the mud with no foundations like we said not to do. They filled it with expanding foam which sucked all the moisture up from the muddy ground it lay upon and then rotted from inside out.


    Fuck, writing all this then looking at them plans really fucks me off. I don't even live there anymore, I shouldn't care but I do but from this point on im just going to sit back and watch the show, things just aint the same for gangsters etc, etc,.




    P.S. In regards to being blocked off their Facebook page I have received a text this morning that said it was "due to swearing lots and having a tantrum". For the record I didn't swear and I just told them how it was, basically some chump who has been made an admin of the Fcebook page has blocked me because he is just a cunt.




    Peace
    Last edited by Dom Littlewood; 8th May 2014 at 10:17 AM.
    http://www.rideskateboardingbmx.com/

  8. #8

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Any examples of what you'd like to see? By what you're saying, Mile End springs to mind
    Sorry mate, erm look up Ashburton in Devon. That new park they are about to have built is 100,000. Everyone is catered for. I am aware that some of the older skaters of Leamington are not too fond of Wheelscape and the likes designs but at the end of the day there are problems with Exeter but on the whole it is fucking sick. Still kiddies down there moan about it and say they want the old Flowerpots back......no pleasing some people ay?
    http://www.rideskateboardingbmx.com/

  9. #9

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by Aust1n View Post
    Hi guys

    I'm Alex and I chair the charity group trying to push this park forward.

    This design is not finished. It was created to show the council a general idea of what we want, size etc. It was posted online so people in the area would be appeased so they stop continuously questioning myself and other members of the charity about the stages of development. The design will go to tend with over five different companies and they are all being asked to give us their own spin on it. So whether that means changing obstacles slightly or completely is up to them. We are also taking into account all comments being made on our facebook page, and now here too, so they could be put in place for the final design. The problem with a bowl is the lack of space it creates and the amount it would eat into our projected budget.

    The 'mysterious facility' should be announced soon. Or at least I hope it is because it's hard to contain such good news.
    Anyway, for more updates please go on https://www.facebook.com/saveourskateparkleamington - everything posted on there is official news from the people working on the project.

    Thanks
    https://www.facebook.com/ashburtonrollers

    Apologies as I cannot post links or pictures until I reach 10 posts. Seriously dude, look at that Facebook page. Their plans are not perfect but you are writing off a bowl altogether? Ashburton's budget is £100,000.

    EDIT: Ok so links do work, I h8 it when the forum is on the blob, she is such a moody slut
    http://www.rideskateboardingbmx.com/

  10. #10
    ‹bermensch seismic egg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,303

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Any pics? I seriously doubt that 100k can cater for everyone.

    Edit: just looked, it's ok but far from "everyone catered for"

  11. #11
    ‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Well thank you for that interesting history lesson. All I know about that particular council is that it has far more money than sense but it is what it is and it won't be changing any time soon.

    Is Mile End design to your liking? Maybe it's too expensive for little old Leam I don't know:


  12. #12

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    Any pics? I seriously doubt that 100k can cater for everyone.

    Edit: just looked, it's ok but far from "everyone catered for"
    https://www.facebook.com/ashburtonrollers


    Have a look on that page, I said their plans are not perfect but they have a decent amount of tranny, cap that bowl, get rid of the long half bowl on the street area and use the space and money to improve the street bit.


    EDIT: Ok, well there is street and a bowl.....yeah thats whats missing, stick a vert in and everyone is happy!
    http://www.rideskateboardingbmx.com/

  13. #13
    ‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Just seen your reply now, as you were as they say.

  14. #14
    ‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Littlewood View Post

    EDIT: Ok, well there is street and a bowl.....yeah thats whats missing, stick a vert in and everyone is happy!
    So you want the old Stratford (upon Avon) park back?!

  15. #15

    Default Re: New skatepark for Leamington Spa

    Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Well thank you for that interesting history lesson. All I know about that particular council is that it has far more money than sense but it is what it is and it won't be changing any time soon.

    Is Mile End design to your liking? Maybe it's too expensive for little old Leam I don't know:


    What was the budget? The only time I went to skate Mile End I met two lads on the tube who said there was a new park at the same stop. It turned out to be that Victoria Park in Hackney.....I was in awe!
    http://www.rideskateboardingbmx.com/

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. r.i.p leamington miniramp, and fuck ghb
    By codpiece in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 19th September 2012, 05:27 AM
  2. 'Love the skatepark' day -Southsea Skatepark
    By Apple Pie in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th August 2007, 07:17 PM
  3. Hayle Skatepark - St Ives, Penzance skatepark?
    By colchesterskater in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 4th August 2007, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •