Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Workshop dead?

Default Is the Workshop dead?

That's what the rumours say, and AVE's latest post on Insta seems to confirm it:

Sad, sad day for skateboarding if that's true.

Jake Johnson to Polar? Seems pretty obvious… But where are Crockett and Bledsoe going?

Let's listen to this while waiting for more news.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Default Re: Is the Workshop dead?

I'm in two minds if it is; on the one hand they're an institution at this point, had one of the best teams ever, put out some of the best vids ever and are one of the most distinctive/interesting companies in skating, on the other they're a shadow of their former selves, most of their best riders have left and things seem to have taken a turn for the worst. Calling it a day might be the best option at this point, leave a (somewhat) untarnished legacy behind rather than keep limping on.

RIP the Workshop / Long Live the Workshop

Yeah, I'd rather see it die than do a Newprint.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Despite having lost some of their major riders, it's not like they've been left with a rubbish team. There's no reason why they couldn't 'do a toy machine' and rebuild/ keep the team small.

Workshop is one of the all time best companies. Imagine if they could put out a new 15 minutes video with bledsoe, crockett and salazar. It would be rad.
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Lest we forget

Initiate

From doing a bit of reading on the Slap board it seems like their parent company's gone under, which also means trouble for Habitat too. That doesn't seem particularly confirmed, but there are quotes from people involved in there.

Talk of no last pay cheques and stuff like that too, pretty raw deal for all concerned.

I imagine it's mainly down to financial constraints that it's closed, they've still got a good team but apparently they were really struggling. There was that Kalis interview on Jenkem a while back where he was saying that Dyrdek was going bust because he was keeping it afloat out of his own pocket. Whole thing sounds like a mess.

Do you think its messed up that AVE and Dill got Mikey [Taylor] off of Alien Workshop and then left themselves?
    I do… actually. I do think it’s fucked up, as a matter of fact. I think it’s fucked up that Dill and AVE quit Alien. I still have strong feelings for Alien, I was with them for so long, Carter was like a father figure to me, Dyrdek same type of thing, mentor. No matter what, I have a lot of strong feelings for them. I knew the direction that it was going, and where they wanted it to go. When I left the team, I saw AVE and Dill were putting their dudes on the team, Kevin [Terpening] and whoever else. I knew how they felt about Mikey Taylor and Dyrdek coming out with Meaty boards and all that shit. But if you remember what I was saying earlier with the hardgood companies struggling you know, If you look deep into it, Alien’s payroll has to be fucking massive. Especially between Alien and Habitat. It’s not like they are killing it in the softgoods zone, you don’t see people wearing Alien all over the place. So I personally was never mad at the Meaty boards and shit like that because if they are selling tons of those, and use that to pay all these pros, cool. That works. When I quit Alien Workshop, it was because I lost my voice, AVE and Dill and those guys had it, and I was in my own world. But then those dudes left? To have the voice and just leave, I was like are you fucking serious? And then Grant left? It sucks and it hurts me, because Rob is a good friend and I know how bad that is for the company. For me personally, I was just like, I felt bad for Carter, and everyone there.

So I look at it as like, unbelievable. I’m not gonna say AVE & Dill ran me out too, like they did Mikey, but it kinda seems the same way, even though they didn’t say it straight up to me. And now it’s just, they left. It bummed me out. When I watched that cinematographer section of Alien – it was so dope dude. I watch it from time to time, and I kinda get like, not the chills, but I get emotional on how rad that was. And I watch that and I don’t fit, I don’t fit on that but I have feelings for the Alien Workshop and I want them to succeed, so to see them getting broken up by that hurts. Hopefully Gilbert stays, he’s so fucking rad. Jake, another one of my favorites. Bledsoe too, I think he’s healthy now.

Maybe this is a just a rough patch. I know Workshop changed partial ownership again, so maybe that’s a good thing?
    Well to tell you the honest truth, Rob really seriously tried to keep that shit the way it needed to be. He gave the power to those pros, and was like, let’s make this right. Dyrdek was going broke keeping Alien Workshop afloat, that’s what people don’t know. As far as the impression I have, he was paying for every single thing out of his own pocket, to where, he was spending more money on Alien then he was bringing in from everything else and it was breaking him. He had to do something. That dude lost millions of dollars trying to keep it going. And he did that for the dudes, for the original owners, he did it for the current pros, he did it for all of us. It was just too much. Now, half of it is owned by this new company, which is being head up by Chad who helped build Blackbox with Jamie Thomas. So I look at it as it’s in good hands.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2014/0...lis-interview/

I'd never heard that about Dyrdek. If that's the case, massive respect to him for trying

Übermensch

Default Is the Workshop dead?

Not so cryptic post from Crockett seems to confirm it: http://instagram.com/p/oHLDlNOunw/

This is a sad state of affairs to say the least.

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

This absolutely sucks. Workshop was an awesome company. Photosynthesis was the peak for me. The whole thing just worked so well; yes you had riders that skated, acted and dressed differently but the image of Alien wasn't really related to the riders, so I think the whole direction that Dill and AVE apparently pushed for wasn't really the way to go in my opinion.

Fucking Awesome looks anything but in my opinion, so it's not even like there's any good outcome as it stands.

I think FA is almost the polar opposite of what you just said about Alien; the aesthetic of FA is dire and it's the riders that are holding it up.

Easy come, easy go.
    Tanks are called tanks because when they move the sound they make is 'tank tank tank tank tank'

janoski on 3d?
    daryl angel back on skate mental?

would love to see my fave SBN on bacon
    Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cloquet View Post
    I think FA is almost the polar opposite of what you just said about Alien; the aesthetic of FA is dire and it's the riders that are holding it up.
    Last edited by ihatethegeneralpublic; 18th May 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Was thinking about this last night. What sort of world are we living in where one of the all time greatest skate companies goes under, whilst something like FA continues to be popular?

In my eyes, Alien struck the perfect balance between skateboarding and art direction. Best videos, best teams, best aesthetic. I hope it gets saved because, although it's maybe had a troubled couple of years, skateboarding would be worse off without the workshop.

I blame Dill. I don't know how or why but somehow it's the fault of that ageing hipster.

Thread Information