Thread: Glasgow Skatepark Proposal

Default Glasgow Skatepark Proposal

Proposal here.

Talented forum member involved.

Blurb:

"Join us at the opening of the exhibition GUSM74.
    Lead designer, artist and skateboarder, Toby Paterson, will present the plans for the proposed GUSM74 Urban Sports Sculpture Park, a radical new artist–led sculpture park—a synthesis of art, sport and urban realm design— that will reclaim a redundant site beneath the M74 canopy in Tradeston.
    Please come along to look at our plans and offer feedback.
    FRIDAY 18 JULY, 2014 – 1.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m. ( Until Sunday 10 August )
    The Lighthouse – Scotland's Centre for Architecture and Design
    11 Mitchell Lane
    Glasgow. G1 3NU"

*crosses fingers, paces nervously*

Default Re: Glasgow Skatepark Proposal

Buckside!

backing anything toby does
    Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP

Word. A big fuck-off skatepark is no exception.

Anybody here skate his ramps in the Arches? HFTC, maybe?

Übermensch
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom

Not me, but I remember seeing footage and hearing about them at the time. This thing could be amazing, Glasgow has loads of rad spots but it has always seemed to lack a big open central(ish) street spot.

Bristo Sq is apparently due to get re-developed in October, it would be rad if this place could be as beneficial to Glasgow's scene as Bristo was to Edinburgh.
    Last edited by hoorayforthecornet; 15th July 2014 at 01:19 PM.

The Arches ramps were great, and Toby making sure they went to Saltcoats afterwards was pretty outstanding (for us in Ayrshire). Pretty safe to say the money for this place wouldn't have become available if it wasn't for the enthusiasm shown for those wooden ramps:

Übermensch

i'll get my brother and some of his mates to go along at some stage to help numbers - i'm sure they'll be interested in this!

this is of course fantastic but one thing; the weather is mentioned a lot but it's still not going to be a perfect remedy for that, the wind could still blow it all in and write it off.

I propose a removable 100ft dome made of translucent neoprene.
    Last edited by Rimbaud; 15th July 2014 at 02:37 PM.

They could maybe weave the motivational flags that are currently on every lamp post into a big 'Bring It On' curtain after the Commonwealth Games.

Mini Goon

Thanks for flagging this up build, and the rest of you for the positive noises. Would have done so myself but I'm just back from holiday and straight into pulling the presentation together for tomorrow, screwing bits of MDF together etc. We're pretty chuffed with the media pick-up on this, and there seems to be goodwill from the general public I've encountered since plans went public. Btw, also deeply involved are the excellent Raydale Dower (90s ripper, sculptural sound channeller and Uncle John and Whitelock alumnus) and Glasgow self-organisation stalwarts Angus McPhee and Neil Davidson. I should also say that getting to this point was made possible by funding from Creative Scotland, maybe quite an unusual organisation to ante up and kick start such a process...

Now the disclaimer: I must emphasise the broad brush/ first draft nature of all this. We're keen for input and are acutely aware that some glitches are apparent in what we're presenting just now (we needed to hit the Commonwealth Games slot regardless) but what we hope all this does is to paint a big, bright picture for the widest possible audience so we can get the support needed to make further fundraising, planning consent and the gaining of a buy-in from the council viable. This is just the start of a long process and, before too much is read into the current design, I confirm nothing is irrevocably fixed.

I'll endeavour to keep those of you interested posted, but in the meantime hopefully we'll see a few of the N26 Glasgow Chapter tomorrow...

Mini Goon

Oh, by the way Rimb, we've been loosely monitoring the patterns of the way the rain falls on the site under different wind conditions. The canopy is very wide at this point of the M74 and whilst the whole place isn't protected, there are areas that will almost always be dry (apart from the good old greasy Glasgow condensation effect of course) In a way that's part of the idea too; we're trying to make a place with an atmosphere, not a 'facility' or some arid plaza. But you know that already as you have shown by your proposal of a mini-Buckydome!

Although the weatherproof angle might get a bit overstated to make a wider point, we're pretty sure there'll always be something dry to hit.

Get the big digger out and actually create a Glasgow Mega Snake.

Then you can get Stuart Braithwaite to put his skateboarder credentials to the test on the opening day in front of the national press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Any Brutalism enthusiasts have any updates?

Thread Information