Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barcelona advice

Default Barcelona advice

A friend and I are going to Barcelona for two months from September 1st onwards and I was just wondering if there is any advice? Last time I went for four days and a police officer nearly ran us down as we was skating down a side alleyway and told us not to skate down here, or others like it.

Is there any select areas that are a no go?
    Last time I went to skate, we went to the classic spots that you see all the time and it was rad, but I'm wondering what else is around for us to check out. Ledges and transition are more suited!

Thanks guys!
    Also, if any skateboarders are over there from the UK (we're from Leicester) that wouldn't mind a roll around, let me know!

Thanks again everyone!!

Mini Goon

Default Re: Barcelona advice

I went in April this year and had no trouble with the police.

I just cruised around the city from spot to spot and found a few things on the way.
    There are a few spot maps online for Barca which are pretty good like this one
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...761&dg=feature

I'm heading back out there the second week of September so might drop you a message closer to the time

‹bermensch

Get off at Lluc Major and turn left. You'll find two miles of bank heaven.

To be honest man, use the google maps spot guide as it is ace but just spend a few evenings on google maps anyway - you'll find loads of rad stuff away from all the tramline spots as Barcelona is still skate heaven.

funnly enough i'll be in the BCN for a few days from sept 1st. any other forumers? we should do a forum mongolian clusterfuck at manolos
    Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP

Thankyou so much guys! Hopefully see some of you guys out there. We're living right next to Uni!
    my name is Forde Brookfield, feel free to contact me on Facebook closer to the date!

Carry your passport or drivers license at all times, or the cops will make life way more hassle for you should they stop you skating/pissing in an alley/cycling drunk.
    Be wary about skating down Las Ramblas at night - I've heard from those who know the offender that the cops will occasionally fine you for doing this.
    If you get bikes, remember that cycling around a roundabout you go anticlockwise, i.e. right. A gang of us coming home under the influence got a bit exhuberant and pulled over by the police - if half the crew handn't have gone left instead of right (it was late on a Sunday night, so there was no traffic), we wouldn't have been caught. All 7 of us were breath-tested - 2 of 7 of us had ID, 1 was under the limit so the remaining 4 bikes were impounded (yep...) and the 4 owners fined E250 each, which we ended up splitting 7 ways. Pain in the hole. And we were only 200m from the hostel too, gah.

Don't expect locals and business owners to greet you with open arms just because you're there to skate, drink cheap beer and eat in a supermarket. Although there's a ridiculous amount of amazing spots, the same rules apply here to not be a dickhead and expect complaints if you're skating right outside somebody's house, or send your board rocketing into a 3 year old's shin.

The police station is right on the Ramblas sort of opposite McD's so yeah, be careful skating down there.

Goon

Went in Feb with a pretty big group, maybe 12-16 of us out everyday.
    Never really had any issues, even skating the ramblas and spots in that area.
    Got pick-pocketed around that sort of area but guy quickly realized he'd fucked up and gave me and my friend our stuff back as there was about 3 of them and shit loads of us.
    I can wholeheartedly recommend the beer called Moritz which is very cheap and imho much nicer than estrella.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
    Carry your passport or drivers license at all times
    Thankyou, I was going to leave it in our apartment for safety, but completely forgot about being checked. Thankyou!

I don't think we're getting push bikes, we'll just be walking everywhere!
    I went for four days, and an officer stopped us skating down a street (two roads down from the hotel we was staying at, a police station was straight across from us so I know what one yore on about) and he said "don't skate down here again" so we didn't, he was gnarly lookin'!

We're living up at Uni, so not far from Las Rambla!

Mini Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
    Thankyou, I was going to leave it in our apartment for safety, but completely forgot about being checked. Thankyou!

I don't think we're getting push bikes, we'll just be walking everywhere!
    I went for four days, and an officer stopped us skating down a street (two roads down from the hotel we was staying at, a police station was straight across from us so I know what one yore on about) and he said "don't skate down here again" so we didn't, he was gnarly lookin'!

We're living up at Uni, so not far from Las Rambla!
    Just photocopy the page with your picture on it, no need to take your actual passport out, we got stopped by some police over there in february for skating the giant slides, we showed them our photocopies and they were sound with it.

‹bermensch

This talk of Police in Barca has really surprised me, I've been 11 times and not once ever had a run in with them. Well, one in a patrol car once wagged his finger at me skating one of the golden kicker things near Besos but that's it. Always figured they were proper easy going in Spain.

Mini Goon

I've lived out here for two years and never had a problem with the police. We've been stopped skating at the port a few times, but apart from that they're fine. They can give tickets but as long as you are nice to them they are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
    Carry your passport or drivers license at all times, or the cops will make life way more hassle for you should they stop you skating/pissing in an alley/cycling drunk.
    I would in fact do the opposite to this, if they get your numbers and names they can give you fines. The Spanish and some of the other euros are required by law to have ID at all times, but it doesn't apply to the brits. My catalan friends pretend to be English to avoid the police, works every time as everyone knows spaniards are lazy (it's actually pretty true) and they can't be bothered with the hassle.

But yeah, hope you have a good time. Any spot questions I'll be happy to answer, or anything else.

‹bermensch

I've never had any problems with the police and I've skated right by them on occassion down the Ramblas. I think if its busy they'll say something but if its quiet you'll generally be OK.

Don't be surprised if you get water thrown on you for being noisy either. Sometimes it's refreshing.

Mini Goon

Quote Originally Posted by roncalow View Post

Don't be surprised if you get water thrown on you for being noisy either. Sometimes it's refreshing.
    and sometimes it's piss. haha

Thanks guys, hopefully see some of you lot out there!

Thread Information