Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise & Stretches that help keep you in shape for...

Ultra King

Default Exercise & Stretches that help keep you in shape for skating. Add your tips!

Thought it would be cool if we could create a resource for peeps to learn how to look after themselves, and limit getting hurt skating. I know there are some dudes that do yoga and that kind of thing on here, and if any of you could post your tips to help people, drop the knowledge!

I've not got much to add apart from I suggest cycling a lot; it helps strengthen your knees and leg muscles.

Swimming is low impact too and builds muscle and flexibility, but what I thought would be cool is if those in the know suggest some exercises and stretches pre-skate to help out the injured, or the old and decrepit like myself.

What would you guys suggest?

This will probably die a death instantly, but it could be good if wiser forumers impart the knowledge.

Übermensch

Default Re: Exercise & Stretches that help keep you in shape for skating. Add your tips!

I definitely second your suggestion for cycling; my fitness and ability to skate for longer has increased dramatically over the past year. Quite possibly skating better too, though I wouldn't like to say that for certain.

Putting down the cigs and picking up a bike was one of the best things I've ever done.

Default Re: Exercise & Stretches that help keep you in shape for skating. Add your tips!

This is a good idea. I'm only 26 but I do find I need to stretch before and after skating these days. Just basic leg stretches really - not sure of the technical names.

I don't really do any other exercise other than skating once a week so I will definitely need this thread!
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    I don't really do any other exercise other than skating once a week
    Aim to skate at least five times a week, not only will your fitness improve but you'll skate better too. Combine it with 100k or so on a bike a week and you'll be well away, though I will admit it definitely helps to not have a girlfriend or social life outside skateboarding!

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    I definitely second your suggestion for cycling; my fitness and ability to skate for longer has increased dramatically over the past year. Quite possibly skating better too, though I wouldn't like to say that for certain.

Putting down the cigs and picking up a bike was one of the best things I've ever done.
    Mate, well done on cutting out the cigs, I still smoke but think the exercise offsets the damage a bit (that's how i justify it haha).

Cycled to Brighton yesterday and my gammy knee feels stronger today as a result.

Übermensch

Definitely strengthens the knees, dun't it. Props on Brighton man, that's a proper ride. Biggest I've managed so far is 65km and my arse was fucking killing me!

Ultra King

that's no mean feat either dude - props.

What stretches do you do before a skate - if any?

Ultra King

I do the same stretches I would before playing football in between about 15 minutes of pushing around the park to warmup - works a treat.
    "The idea that skateboards are made for rolling… Busenitz understands this."

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    This is a good idea. I'm only 26 but I do find I need to stretch before and after skating these days. Just basic leg stretches really - not sure of the technical names.

I don't really do any other exercise other than skating once a week so I will definitely need this thread!
    what leg stretches would you suggest man?

Ultra King

go to a yoga class for a couple of sessions - think of it as a good series of stretches, rather than hippy bollocks.
    ashtanga yoga is hard sweaty work - should do the trick

Ciaran and Gawk seemed to have good fitness knowledge, shame they've MIA these days

What Smoke said! I'm not MIA though, just lurking, ha....

+1 on cycling. A few guys here have done triathlons and that's something I definitely want to make time and get into. I cycle everywhere on a zippy 3-speed, it's wicked, I love it. Running is great too, but if you've had any serious knee or ankle injuries in the past that needed surgery, you may want to be get proper professional advice before starting that. It's awesome for building your stamina & fitness, so you can skate longer - not necessarily better though, ha - and you probably won't be as drained the next day as you're fitter in the first place.

Swimming's wicked too, zero impact and bad-ass for fitness & stamina.

If you have access to a rowing machine, use it - zero impact and it uses practically all your muscle groups & will give you a top cardio workout.

Quote Originally Posted by krillmonger View Post
    what leg stretches would you suggest man?
    Stretches before and afterskating need to work your hip muscles, calves, inner thighs, ankles and core - mainly lower stomach and back.
    If they hurt, STOP. Stretching/Yoga should only at worst feel uncomfortable, never painful! Otherwise you'll just fuck yourself right up.
    Hold all stretches for a minimm of 5 deep breaths.

Hip stretches - low lunge, high lunge, twisting high lunge, pyramid, revolving pyramid
    Calves - stand on a curb/step, heels on the floor, ball of the foot on the curb/step & feel the burn.
    Hamstrings - bend forward, grab ankles or lower legs. Downward dog - feet flat on floor, hands on floor so from the side you look like the roof of a house - is a great one.
    Inner thighs - side to side splits - stand with feet as wide apart as possible, bend forward to hands are on the floor. Progress so the full forearms are on the floor - you'll need to gently slide your feet further apart, so your legs are almost parallel to the floor.
    Ankles - ankle stretch - kneel down with arse cheeks on your heel. Progress to have feet outside ass cheeks, which is on the floor. AKA Hero pose/stretch
    Core - planks - like the peak of a push up, but just hold it there. Then later, do mountain climbers/ where you move your right knee to the chest while left foot is on the floor, then switch sides. Variations are right knee to left elbow and right knee to right elbow, AKA mountain climber. Also, hovering at the bottom of a push up for 10 deep breaths is good for building lower back strength, along with mountain climber push-ups and 3-legged down dog

http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com for loads of images of various stretches and yoga poses.

I often do a variation on this banging yoga routine a couple of mornings a week, it also really helps for getting ready for skating and running - it features all the stretches/poses I listed above. I love it, I can't recommend it enough. It's quick and pacy and you'll be sweating by the end of it.

This other one is a good deal longer, but 45 minutes is usually enough for me at weekends when I've a bit more time -

And yeah, it's not THAT Mark Gonzales...

Administrator

Honestly - I'm probably the oldest and most unfit person posting in here and whilst I do a few yoga back stretches and legs stretches occasionally I still find that 20 minutes of powerslides works as a warm up.
    That or beer.

Administrator

With that said: both times I dislocated my knee I swam and cycled religiously to strengthen it back up and, probably most importantly, didn't skate until it was fully healed, which meant 7 months without skating but it was worth it.

Initiate

Remember to warm down at the end of a skate as well as drink water, I'll typically take at least a litre for a couple of hours skating and any time I haven't is when I'll get injured or feel really creaky the next day. Also know when to end the session, if you feel tired or concentration is waning then best to call it a day.

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
    What Smoke said! I'm not MIA though, just lurking, ha....

+1 on cycling. A few guys here have done triathlons and that's something I definitely want to make time and get into. I cycle everywhere on a zippy 3-speed, it's wicked, I love it. Running is great too, but if you've had any serious knee or ankle injuries in the past that needed surgery, you may want to be get proper professional advice before starting that. It's awesome for building your stamina & fitness, so you can skate longer - not necessarily better though, ha - and you probably won't be as drained the next day as you're fitter in the first place.

Swimming's wicked too, zero impact and bad-ass for fitness & stamina.

If you have access to a rowing machine, use it - zero impact and it uses practically all your muscle groups & will give you a top cardio workout.

Stretches before and afterskating need to work your hip muscles, calves, inner thighs, ankles and core - mainly lower stomach and back.
    If they hurt, STOP. Stretching/Yoga should only at worst feel uncomfortable, never painful! Otherwise you'll just fuck yourself right up.
    Hold all stretches for a minimm of 5 deep breaths.

Hip stretches - low lunge, high lunge, twisting high lunge, pyramid, revolving pyramid
    Calves - stand on a curb/step, heels on the floor, ball of the foot on the curb/step & feel the burn.
    Hamstrings - bend forward, grab ankles or lower legs. Downward dog - feet flat on floor, hands on floor so from the side you look like the roof of a house - is a great one.
    Inner thighs - side to side splits - stand with feet as wide apart as possible, bend forward to hands are on the floor. Progress so the full forearms are on the floor - you'll need to gently slide your feet further apart, so your legs are almost parallel to the floor.
    Ankles - ankle stretch - kneel down with arse cheeks on your heel. Progress to have feet outside ass cheeks, which is on the floor. AKA Hero pose/stretch
    Core - planks - like the peak of a push up, but just hold it there. Then later, do mountain climbers/ where you move your right knee to the chest while left foot is on the floor, then switch sides. Variations are right knee to left elbow and right knee to right elbow, AKA mountain climber. Also, hovering at the bottom of a push up for 10 deep breaths is good for building lower back strength, along with mountain climber push-ups and 3-legged down dog

http://www.sensational-yoga-poses.com for loads of images of various stretches and yoga poses.

I often do a variation on this banging yoga routine a couple of mornings a week, it also really helps for getting ready for skating and running - it features all the stretches/poses I listed above. I love it, I can't recommend it enough. It's quick and pacy and you'll be sweating by the end of it.

This other one is a good deal longer, but 45 minutes is usually enough for me at weekends when I've a bit more time -

And yeah, it's not THAT Mark Gonzales...
    Ciaran, you are a fucking hero - all this is really useful, thanks for taking the time to type it out man. Those stretching tips are really great, and i'm going to start doing them before skating as i'm just getting back into it after over a year out with a knee injury.

Thread Information