Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio and Music making geekery.

Default Re: Audio and Music making geekery.

Ooof

Default Re: Pointless topics...

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    I guess that's why people go with ableton, seems everything is gearing to that, and protools of course. they seem the most catered for regarding 3rd party software.
    Got Ableton 9 Lite with both the Focusrite and Keyboard.
    I installed it but I don't really fancy it much.
    First impressions and all that. My first impression of Ableton wasn't too good.
    Skating on roids + Lance Mountain swearing and talking about how fit he is?? Really weird

Jesus. That took some resolving.
    All sorted now.
    Had to completely strip Studio One out and re-install.
    Shall be a bit more careful with the next attempt at Waves.
    Skating on roids + Lance Mountain swearing and talking about how fit he is?? Really weird

Goon

I swear by Ableton. Once you figure it out it's perfect. Live view is great for djing or creating electronic pieces and it's decent to use as a multitrack recorder too.

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by Wannop View Post
    I swear by Ableton. Once you figure it out it's perfect. Live view is great for djing or creating electronic pieces and it's decent to use as a multitrack recorder too.
    i was actually going to ask a question about this, i currently use audacity for recording my mixes into computer, then add jingles, sound fx on separate tracks with a cracked copy of adobe audition v1 and then mixdown to a single track but my copy of audition (that i got just after it changed from cool edit pro) no longer works properly and i wondered what is a cheap but effective multi-track recorder. a friend told me about reaper that seems perfect for what i need and is only £40 but i dont know anyone that actually used it and wondered if investing in ableton might be a better bet as it can be used when playing out as well?
    ----------------------------------
    https://soundcloud.com/vital-sound

‹bermensch

Great idea for a thread. All over this.
    "At least when you're at the bottom, you know which way is up"

Reaper is meant to be really good, I would have gone for it but was not on mac. I thought it was free, regardless, £40 is amazing for a fully fledged DAW.

‹bermensch

In terms of Gear, being pretty much a Luddite, I use GarageBand as my primary DAW. I will eventually get Logic but I am not sure if it is worth the investment. I also use Maschine Mikro (the mk2) which is the absolute fucking bomb. I can't recommend it highly enough. If anyone wants to help to encourage me to buy Logic, I'd be grateful!
    "At least when you're at the bottom, you know which way is up"

I use Logic and I barely use any of the plugins, sometimes the reverb. I use the Comps, gates and EQ of course but everything else is outboard. I don't think that much of the Logic sound to be honest but it's perfect for tracking audio in a simple fashion. I could get away with garage band ha.

Depends on what music you are doing.

I have literally zero clue what you guys are talking about. So why don't you post some of your music.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

hmmm

I wouldn't usually but I am close to finishing an album, sneak peak (Private oldish test mix)
    It's basically geeky electronica so not everyones cup of tea.
    https://soundcloud.com/zoomthelinean...latest/s-ZVjbF

logic has some amazing presets. lots of really good sounding and versatile shit. some of the string presets my goodness >>>

obv depends what you are using them for i guess, but it certainly excites me about using logic. i do find using it a total pain in the arse but know so many good (and more importantly, fast) producers who swear by it

i find ableton a joy to use. untouchable when it comes to playing around with audio, cutting up samples and all that imo
    reverb on the naan. come test

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan1709 View Post
    In terms of Gear, being pretty much a Luddite, I use GarageBand as my primary DAW. I will eventually get Logic but I am not sure if it is worth the investment. I also use Maschine Mikro (the mk2) which is the absolute fucking bomb. I can't recommend it highly enough. If anyone wants to help to encourage me to buy Logic, I'd be grateful!
    it's worth the investment. It used to be waaaaay more expensive and not as good. Now it's cheap as chips with a load more functionality. it's worth it for the amp sims and guitar pedal board alone if you are a guitarist and haven't got the luxury of cranking your AC30 to 11 in a recording studio.

I fucking loves logic. Ableton is good for electronic music but it's not as intuitive as logic (imo). Spend the 150 smackers as it's totally worth it.

Not sure about logic x but I'm still on Logic 9 and the amp simulators are awful. Pedals are fun though moreso for drum processing. Sculpture synth is actually pretty mind blowing and I actually like the simple FM bass synth. Maybe I was harsh but overall, not into the sound. BUT, it's all you need if you are into the sound, it has everything.

Ultra King

Logic x is a different kettle of fish. I got it and thought, 'well, this looks like fucking garage band' and i was pissed off, but the more i use it, I realise how much better it is. The arp sequencer, the amp/pedal board mods, the new soft synths. Give a go rup - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with it.

Thread Information