Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Audio and Music making geekery.

Default Re: Audio and Music making geekery.

Thing is, I know I will never use it all, I just don't look at the monitor while making music. I might use bits post processing but when it goes in, it's pretty much how it stays apart from snipping up, arranging, automation and dynamics. If the overall timbre of the DAW was less clinical I would probably upgrade.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post

Depends on what music you are doing.
    Hip hop primarily. I could really use some software which allows you to easily change the pitch of samples without changing the tempo, which I am told Logic does? Finding samples which match otherwise can be a real chore.
    "At least when you're at the bottom, you know which way is up"

Yeah it has that stuff, never got into that side of it, I have samplers for that. I think the flex part in Logic x is loads better than previous in that regard.

I'd recommend an Elektron Octatrack for deep sample manipulation all day long but it's a box to spend alot of time with to wrap your head around.

‹bermensch

Yeah it has that stuff, never got into that side of it, I have samplers for that. I think the flex part in Logic x is loads better than previous in that regard.

I'd recommend an Elektron Octatrack for deep sample manipulation all day long but it's a box to spend alot of time with to wrap your head around.
    Most of what I do is sample based so I'll take a look into that. I'm still only just beginning to get my head around Maschine though
    "At least when you're at the bottom, you know which way is up"

you looked into roland's sp-404? very affordable for what it does and a few mates who make sample-based hip hop leaning stuff all swear by it

ableton > logic for sampling, messing with audio clips imho. couple friends who use logic agree
    reverb on the naan. come test

Goon

hmmm

I wouldn't usually but I am close to finishing an album, sneak peak (Private oldish test mix)
    It's basically geeky electronica so not everyones cup of tea.
    https://soundcloud.com/zoomthelinean...latest/s-ZVjbF
    Dope stuff man!
    I haven't paid for any of my music software, just get whatever off thepiratebay. Karma is having me now cause my computer won't start with windows anymore, switched to linux which of course means i can't use most windows software.
    I have a terrible habit of leaving things unfinished or not uploading them, but here are some unfinished electronic things I uploaded:
    https://soundcloud.com/skinnermorris/sets/x11-colour
    and a billy childish cover:
    https://soundcloud.com/skinnermorris/i-remember
    Last edited by Wannop; 11th January 2016 at 05:36 PM. Reason: forgot to include links

Ultra King

Thing is, I know I will never use it all, I just don't look at the monitor while making music. I might use bits post processing but when it goes in, it's pretty much how it stays apart from snipping up, arranging, automation and dynamics. If the overall timbre of the DAW was less clinical I would probably upgrade.
    This is a good trick for beefing up sounds, or just have a send with an overdrive on it.

I have tape for tape saturation
    Seems a random way to go around the problem to me, like you say, you can create harmonics with distortion plenty of other ways. This trick takes the sound too far away fro the initial sound that it loses it's initial character. but yeah, you're right, it's a good usable technique, just not sure the example he uses is the right one to show it.

You do have to mix to suit the way people listen to your music to a degree. Most normal people are using laptop speakers to listen to music, kinda makes gear totally redundant and makes me wonder why people are clambering over each other and selling their kidneys for a real 808.
    Last edited by seismic egg; 11th January 2016 at 07:55 PM.

nice one wannop! i'll have a listen to yours in a bit after some food.

I had an SP404 many moons ago, hated it, felt clunky and the effects were awful. thought it was the poor mans MPC. bought an MPC and realised that I just couldn't work that way and I actually preferred the SP more anyway. It's a good shout though Meth, Like the MPC it really suits the boom bap style. Totally ignore my opinions of it though ha, it just didn't suit me. One of my favourite artists used to run his whole live set from an MPC and 2 SP404s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan1709 View Post
    Hip hop primarily. I could really use some software which allows you to easily change the pitch of samples without changing the tempo, which I am told Logic does? Finding samples which match otherwise can be a real chore.
    Not sure but doesn't Melodyne do this?

https://youtu.be/PtoTjioZD2M
    Last edited by Mush; 11th January 2016 at 09:29 PM.
    Skating on roids + Lance Mountain swearing and talking about how fit he is?? Really weird

Logic was always one of "the other ones" back when I started using Cubase.
    It wasn't at all logical to me, neither was cackwalk.
    Skating on roids + Lance Mountain swearing and talking about how fit he is?? Really weird

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan1709 View Post
    In terms of Gear, being pretty much a Luddite, I use GarageBand as my primary DAW. I will eventually get Logic but I am not sure if it is worth the investment. I also use Maschine Mikro (the mk2) which is the absolute fucking bomb. I can't recommend it highly enough. If anyone wants to help to encourage me to buy Logic, I'd be grateful!

They had a deal on that stuff recently.
    They were offering loads of soundsets with all the units.
    They look great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannop View Post
    Dope stuff man!
    I haven't paid for any of my music software, just get whatever off thepiratebay. Karma is having me now cause my computer won't start with windows anymore, switched to linux which of course means i can't use most windows software.
    I have a terrible habit of leaving things unfinished or not uploading them, but here are some unfinished electronic things I uploaded:
    https://soundcloud.com/skinnermorris/sets/x11-colour
    and a billy childish cover:
    https://soundcloud.com/skinnermorris/i-remember
    If I was doing something commercial I'd probably buy the software but the cost of it for pissing around, nah.
    I've forked out on enough hardware.
    There wasn't much Linux based music software when I bothered to look into it years ago.
    I guess like all things, that's come on heaps over the years.
    I use audionews to get my stuff and trust the r2r releases the most.

Some really nice stuff on there wannop, really like Firebrick. Unfinished one is lovely too.

Ultra King

How do you layer tracks Rup without looking at a DAW? Do you have everything sequencing on a keyboard or how do you do it dude?

Thread Information