80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay put

71 88.75%
  • Fuck outta here

9 11.25%
Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EU: In or Out?

Default EU: In or Out?

I thought this might be a done deal but watching QT the audience seems heavily in favour of leaving. I don't know shit about this but I'm with most people I've spoken to in that it just seems pointless to stop being part of something so large and powerful. There must be some pretty clued up people on here... thoughts?
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Administrator

Default Re: EU: In or Out?

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    I don't know shit about this but I'm with most people I've spoken to in that it just seems pointless to stop being part of something so large and powerful.
    The above isn't a reason to do anything, let alone make a decision on possibly the most important vote any of us will ever make in our lifetimes.
    Think about what you're saying wayout.

Research it and make up your own mind.
    We could probably have a good debate about this though

EDIT: No diss intended though wayout but forming an opinion based on the thinking above is (in my opinion) tantamount to the "there's no point voting, nothing will change" 'argument'.
    If democracry has any value at all, then its value relies on involvement on a personal level and formulating an opinion based on research.
    The cunts in charge rely on that kind of autonomy-destroying thinking.

Administrator

For example - I have a lot of friends who are teachers and every single one of them posted links to the petition arguing against the Conservative's initiative to force all schools in the UK to adopt academy status. They posted on FB and on other social media platforms with informed opinions as to why this was, at best, 'privatisation by the backdoor' and at worse, an attempt to turn education into a PPFI free for all.
    At first, I did think, "well there's no point in arguing, it'll happen anyway" but, the more I read into it and talked to my friends within the profession, the more I realised how what they were saying was totally true, and how wrong the Tory position was. Hundreds of thousands of other people must've done the same.
    A month later and Nicky Morgan announced that the govt were binning the idea.

The political elite rely on apathy.
    The laugh at us regularly for acquiescing to their plans because of it.
    Fuck them.

Am I right or wrong in thinking, that being in the EU means the government can't just pass laws or whatever that will fuck us all over at midnight in Parliment, when no-one is about, so being in it means they have to sort of answer to someone? If that makes sense?

Still in.

Administrator

You think the EU has to answer to anyone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Commissioner

Administrator

I watched the Victoria Derbyshire EU debate tonight and at least 50% of the invited audience openly admitted to not knowing who Jean Claude Junker is.
    Fucking scary.

‹bermensch

I class my self as slightly above average intelligence & I have neither the capacity or the desire to really find out the true costs versus benefits of either option. We really shouldn't have been given this vote because 99% of people have a clue about anything other than sensationalist rhetoric. That said, as shallow as it is, the public figure heads for the leave campaign are virtually all right wing dicks and I couldn't ever side with them.

Mini Goon

Stay in mate. If we leave we claw back contributions but we would then have to pay a tariff to trade in the common market which wouldn't be much less than what we're paying now (see Norway, Switzerland). We already opted out of Schengen so we don't have unrestricted movement of people like other countries within the EU. Many foreign companies outside of the EU invest in the UK partly because it is foot-in-the-door for the European market (See Nissan). Some have threatened to cut investment if Britain leaves the EU. There is nothing stopping us from negotiating trade deals with other countries while remaining with the EU. Look at how many delegations have gone to China and India in the past few years by Osbourne et al to talk up British business. The EU provides protections on labour rights, discrimination, environmental laws. Being a member makes it easier to address shared issues such as terrorism, trafficking, refugees, climate change where a coordinated effort is more likely yield results. Lastly what is supposed to happen to the millions of British citizens living in the EU and the millions of EU citizens living in the UK? Are they just supposed to return to their country of origin or become citizens of their adopted country? There is no contingency plan or strategy for a leave vote. It is like quitting your job and then having to renegotiate a role with your old employer while simultaneously looking elsewhere. If there were preparations and strong trade relationships in other parts it might make sense but 40% of the UK's trade is with other EU countries so it's like shooting yourself in the foot to leave a trading bloc with which you do the majority of your trade. Anyway, rant over. That's my two cents/pence

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by SotonJon View Post
    Stay in mate. If we leave we claw back contributions but we would then have to pay a tariff to trade in the common market which wouldn't be much less than what we're paying now (see Norway, Switzerland). We already opted out of Schengen so we don't have unrestricted movement of people like other countries within the EU. Many foreign companies outside of the EU invest in the UK partly because it is foot-in-the-door for the European market (See Nissan). Some have threatened to cut investment if Britain leaves the EU. There is nothing stopping us from negotiating trade deals with other countries while remaining with the EU. Look at how many delegations have gone to China and India in the past few years by Osbourne et al to talk up British business. The EU provides protections on labour rights, discrimination, environmental laws. Being a member makes it easier to address shared issues such as terrorism, trafficking, refugees, climate change where a coordinated effort is more likely yield results. Lastly what is supposed to happen to the millions of British citizens living in the EU and the millions of EU citizens living in the UK? Are they just supposed to return to their country of origin or become citizens of their adopted country? There is no contingency plan or strategy for a leave vote. It is like quitting your job and then having to renegotiate a role with your old employer while simultaneously looking elsewhere. If there were preparations and strong trade relationships in other parts it might make sense but 40% of the UK's trade is with other EU countries so it's like shooting yourself in the foot to leave a trading bloc with which you do the majority of your trade. Anyway, rant over. That's my two cents/pence
    now that is an opinion.
    props.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    I class my self as slightly above average intelligence & I have neither the capacity or the desire to really find out the true costs versus benefits of either option. We really shouldn't have been given this vote because 99% of people have a clue about anything other than sensationalist rhetoric. That said, as shallow as it is, the public figure heads for the leave campaign are virtually all right wing dicks and I couldn't ever side with them.
    are you genuinely arguing for people not being given a democratic right to a referendum because the average person is too stupid to be entrusted with the choice volst?
    jesus Christ - gulags when?
    what about Scottish independence referendum then by the logic of that post?

Administrator

And yes, we all know that a large aspect of the EU debate is actually focused on divisions within the conservatives, as much as it is with the wider philosophical concept of continent-wide political integration but still I'm astonished that you'd say the above man, seriously...

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    are you genuinely arguing for people not being given a democratic right to a referendum because the average person is too stupid to be entrusted with the choice volst?
    Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that leaving the decision to back room deals by parties with a vested interest is any better but, let's be fair, this is too important a decision to be left to "average Dave" coz he's heard "Herr Merkel wants us all to live under Sharia law". I think the right to vote should be earned by some sort of proving of understanding.

Mini Goon

The leave campaign just comes across as pie-in-sky, imperialist fantasy bollocks but I'm sure there are valid reasons for wanting to leave. Just haven't heard any yet. Scotland's in an interesting situation. A leave vote would give a legitimate reason for another referendum on Scottish independence. Hmm

Administrator

Could you be any more cowed to the political elite Volst?

you hate the 'right wing' but yet you're advocating leaving the decision to 'those who know best'?
    Fuck me.

No diss intended but that terrifies me.
    this thread is probably going to be interesting.
    Im sick of talking about t-shirts.

Administrator

Btw - not trying to be a cunt here (any more than usual) and not trying to have a go either - just genuinely hyped on this political moment in time, in the same way Scots were with their referendum so trying to get the thread going.
    Big up to everyone posting.

Thread Information