Page 45 of 53 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Skateboarding in the Olympics. Page 15 for Cliffs

‹bermensch

Default Re: Skateboarding in the Olympics is now a thing, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    Maybe they don't want to open themselves up to the barrage of abuse?

Or maybe they are totally unprofessional?

Or probably both?
    To be honest looking at the barrage of abuse on their insta some of it is really out of order to their athletes and they haven't addressed it or deleted it. HOw's that looking out for their riders best interests? I know I'm fully biased but from the point of being a former TM I wouldn't let an official channel take that kind of hammering. Just proves how out of their depth they are.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    I'm re-re-reading the thread and I think I can condense most of it into something instagrammy.

One of the questions thats appeared under eds post is why support skateboard England... How can that represent the UK.

Nic, I've reread your response to this but I'm still mildly confused because I'm thick.

So this was what you said:

"International stuff comes under skateboard GB and is made up of skateboard Scotland, skateboard NI and Skateboard England members. There is not currently a skateboard Wales so this falls under skateboard England for now but if someone wants to step up we can help. I have tried to get it going several times in the past..

Day to day running of skateboard GB is handled by skateboard England by mutual agreement. I was onto Ali at Skateboard Scotland last night about our new mutual foe."

So... There is such an entity as Skateboard GB. I can see the entity on companies House but that's all that comes up on a Google search.

It's tricky to get my head around (and will be for others) to understand how Skateboard England represents the UK.

Is it right that you are basically saying that skateboard England and Skateboard GB are essentially one and the same thing?

Also, in the chain of command of recognised bodies, where would Skateboard England fit in?

It goes: IOC > world skate > The British Roller Sports Federation >....

And the next step is where it goes wrong. These BRSF people (who seem to operate out of a non-descript semi-detached house in Rotherham) have created this 'British Skateboarding Federation' instead of dealing with yourselves? Is that basically it?

Skateboard England (which is defacto skateboard GB) would have to be recognised by the BRSF to have legitimacy? Is that right?

If you had that would team GB them start to recognise you and work with you for future funding? Team GB don't have skateboarding listed as one of the sports on their website at the moment so I'm guessing there is still time to show them you are the ones to get funding ahead of these BSF clowns?
    Ok I"m going to answer this as briefly as possible but it has been covered on other pages of this in more depth but to clarify:

I will post all the legal guff that i can over the weekend when i have time regarding legal statusses, I have done virtually no work in my shop this week and have spent every evening dealing with this too, need to get my shit up to date. Lucy has ended up off work sick probably largely due to our current workload! I'm more than happy to do it but there's time constraints. In brief everything is set up 100% legit with us because that's what James is good at which is why we'll win this with everyones support.

Skateboard GB has a separate board but is administered day to day by Skateboard England by mutual agreement just because it makes life easier for everyone. I'm not even on the board for Skateboard GB. It does have members of NI, Scotland and England on the board. If you're not English and you're wondering if you should still support Skateboard England the answer is therefore yes (alongside your home body). If you're Welsh this is the same except there is no Skateboard Wales at this time so you'll just have to trust us in this instance until you set one up.

We need to be recognised either directly by World Skate or via BRSF to qualify athletes for the Olympics. In every other sense of the word we are recognised including by Sport England and UK Sport.

This really isn't about a certain nationality of skateboarders being overlooked it's about skateboarders standing up and backing the right cause.

We all cool?
    Last edited by nicfromsidcup; 1 Week Ago at 12:04 PM.

‹bermensch

Skateboard GB is the National Federation / Governing Body. We are made up of the following:

Lucy Adams (Skateboard England) - Chair
    Steve Wilkinson (Skateboard England)
    Alastair Menzies (Skateboard Scotland)
    Glen Lyall (Skateboard NI)
    Kim Grant (Skateboard Scotland)
    John-Paul Matthew (Skateboard NI)
    James Hope-Gill (Company Secretary)

Last edited by nicfromsidcup; 1 Week Ago at 12:23 PM.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Ripride switched comments off before???
    How punk rock!
    yeah after the post about the released their support Jason Jesse stickers packs they switched them off.

Because nothing says supporting Nazis by forcibly silencing any criticism.

Ripride are damn fine people.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

‹bermensch

Could I play devils advocate for a moment.

After Alex has got through to the quarters and is therefore Team GB best shot of going to the Olympics, couldn't he just come out and say the BSF is the right one??? Have you accounted for that possiblility? I mean afterall the BSF have essentially got him to Rio.

I'm also going to play even further devils advocate, could that decision be based on his past dealing with folks involved with Skateboards England??

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Very good points, devil's advocate or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Garlic_Naan View Post
    yeah after the post about the released their support Jason Jesse stickers packs they switched them off.

Because nothing says supporting Nazis by forcibly silencing any criticism.
    yeah there's some weird shit going on their instagram too, I spotted a pretty rad photo of someone doing a layback grind or something on some vert. Initially I saw a swazzie on his grip, posted about it, then realised it was in a red circle with a line through it. As in "NO NAZIS". So I deleted my post. But it's a bit weird to have that alongside a bunch of "We support Jason Jessee" shit.

I guess it's that weird "punk" thing of using shocking iconography for the sake of it. People are weird.
    What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers.

Depends how far BSF’s pockets will stretch. He needs to place in 11 qualifying events. There’s £160k of government money available, but Skateboard England can access it and not BSF (could that change if the BSF try and reach UK Sport’s criteria?).

Morbid is simply sticking to his principles and ideology, rather than "it's too late to stop this Olympics bollocks, so we might as well get behind it" type of mentality that a lot of people seem to have.

That fair but he's calling out people for their ideology in a wanky way.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by roncalow View Post
    Could I play devils advocate for a moment.

After Alex has got through to the quarters and is therefore Team GB best shot of going to the Olympics, couldn't he just come out and say the BSF is the right one??? Have you accounted for that possiblility? I mean afterall the BSF have essentially got him to Rio.

I'm also going to play even further devils advocate, could that decision be based on his past dealing with folks involved with Skateboards England??
    Thanks for asking so...

That's after one event, there's 10 more to qualify. We have an approved funding bid to take him to the rest. So really the BSF got Alex to Rio by way of paying his flight but we had him registered as one of our two riders before they got World Skate to bend the rules allowing them to enter 3 riders.

Alex's decision to go to Rio with BSF is something that you'd have to discuss with him but I assure you it's not in any relation to a specific problem with us. Just that the way things played out they were the first to offer a flight because essentially they're blocking our public funding. But that's how these things work, basically the BRSF have delayed us and blocked us at every stage to enable them to try and get BSF some credibility/popularity and it's easy to gain that short term by buying a few peoples flights. They can though now show they have the 'support' of the athletes and they're essentially being used like pawns. I'm not sure how they plan to raise the other 80k or so required to get 4 athletes to the rest of the qualifiers with no access to public funding. Ideally for us no one would have gone to Rio to represent GB under the BSF banner, there's 18 events between now and Tokyo and you only need to skate 11 so there was no need for anyone to go until this was resolved. But of course skateboarders being skateboarders someone is always going to take the trip, it wasn't a course of action that any of us would have been happy to pursue and I knew it would be futile. But the fact stands if no one had attended Rio for the BSF our case would be way more undisputable and we could have shut the door on this nonsense but this is really just a small fly in the ointment. This has played out in every country in different shapes and forms, it's just our turn at the moment.

So yeah he can say what he wants to some extent, I mean it's a bit harmful and not ideal but he just doesn't even want to pick a side as far as i can gather which is fair enough.

These are all relatively minor point scoring techniques hence 'pizzagate'.

I hope this makes sense, I"ve been answering so many questions i can't think straight. We'll both have to just see how this plays out from now on.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Dent Face View Post
    Depends how far BSF’s pockets will stretch. He needs to place in 11 qualifying events. There’s £160k of government money available, but Skateboard England can access it and not BSF (could that change if the BSF try and reach UK Sport’s criteria?).
    They can but they won't be able to get themselves sorted for a year or two at least. Which also amazes me because BRSF could have set this up years ago, they knew it was coming, seeing as they tried to claim ownership of UK skateboarding before the 2012 olympics when it was considered for inclusion. It once again shows how much genuine interest they have in skateboarding.

These skaters also have sponsors to keep happy and these sponsors have money to send them to comps, so Alex may have had help that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by baremerk View Post
    Morbid is simply sticking to his principles and ideology, rather than "it's too late to stop this Olympics bollocks, so we might as well get behind it" type of mentality that a lot of people seem to have.
    Exactly that. It's shame he doesn't want to see the bigger picture but let's just leave it at that and move on. We're certainly not going to change his mind any time soon!

Thread Information