Page 47 of 53 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Skateboarding in the Olympics. Page 15 for Cliffs

Übermensch

Default Re: Skateboarding in the Olympics is now a thing, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by baremerk View Post
    Just seen @skateboard.englands 's latest post. I thought Dachuna was batting for (funded by) the other side? I'm so confused!
    He is skating for the UK.

Wow.
    That was weird to type.

Anyhow...he is skating for the UK. Doesn't matter which governing body sent them in that respect.

I think it is a good thing that SE are not involving the representing skaters in their argument - unlike Pizzagate by the other goons.

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    He is skating for the UK.

Wow.
    That was weird to type.

Anyhow...he is skating for the UK. Doesn't matter which governing body sent them in that respect.
    Saying it twice doesn't really make it any less weird, which other country are you expecting him to skate for?

You've got one side arranging a meet and greet, flying him out there and then going completely quiet on social media all of a sudden and now the other side are sharing his footage.
    Odd stuff.

Hopefully this thread just turns into seeing how he and any others get on in these qualifiers now, I didn't realise he was even close to being able to hold his own in such a comp so I'm genuinely interested to see how he does now.

He’s out. Came like 22nd in the quarterfinals. Didn’t make 5 scores as you need to in the SLS format.

Edit: he did make 4 scores. One just wasn’t very high:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BshELvPljGa/
    Last edited by Dent Face; 5 Days Ago at 11:03 AM.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Dent Face View Post
    He’s out. Came like 22nd in the quarterfinals. Didn’t make 5 scores as you need to in the SLS format.

Edit: he did make 4 scores. One just wasn’t very high:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BshELvPljGa/

Confirmed.

Benihanas not SLS approved

Übermensch

We’re out to Support U.K. skateboarding, not be petty bellends is the brief answer.

Ultra King

beat sheckler though !
    "The idea that skateboards are made for rolling… Busenitz understands this."

Übermensch

Going back to the previous Rubicon situation and why I couldn't comment, here's the official release:

"Thanks for your query regarding Skateboard England’s director Geoff Else and Rubicon’s relationship with the British Skateboard Federation.
    Alex Decunha has been a long term friend of the Rubicon Skate Camps. In November 2018, before Geoff was a SE Board Member, the opportunity to send Alex to the SLS Event in Rio presented itself. With no current funding to send Alex, Camp Rubicon offered to pay. Rubicon agreed to this because of that personal relationship with Alex, not because of a sponsorship agreement with the BSF.
    In December 2018, Geoff was elected as a director of Skateboard England and has stated very clearly that he is committed to Skateboard England for the furtherance of skateboarding in the country."

Also this adds weight to the argument that BSF aren't going to be able to fund their skaters through enough qualifiers to even get close to the Olympics, they essentially have blagged this one to try and get people on their side.
    Last edited by nicfromsidcup; 5 Days Ago at 04:51 PM.

Übermensch

I asked Ed Leigh to clarify some points on how/why snowboarding got screwed (specifically relating to events):

There are so many factors, but the main one is that all mainstream focus becomes about the Olympics, so that is where the marketing budgets get channeled. Either into the games themselves or into athletes in the last 3 months before the games. Snowboarding is under the control of skiing, so we don't have a federation who know how to look after snowboard events between winter games. As a result our events have become economically isolated without any kind of Olympic association to sell to the sponsors who only care about the rings. We now have just the US Open left as an independently run core snowboard contest. The Dew Tour and X Games are made for TV, but are still better than the FIS (skiers) alternative where athletes are treated like animals at the zoo.

And likewise the BRSF's sole interest in skateboarding is the Olympics, everything else will fall by the wayside.
    Last edited by nicfromsidcup; 5 Days Ago at 05:10 PM.

great news about Rubicon not exactly having a direct relationship with the BSF, seems HopKing are not even that impressed with the situ either. Seems like the BSF will soon fall apart and the BRSF will have to concede that they won't be able to have monopoly over all wheeled sports.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by seismic egg View Post
    great news about Rubicon not exactly having a direct relationship with the BSF, seems HopKing are not even that impressed with the situ either. Seems like the BSF will soon fall apart and the BRSF will have to concede that they won't be able to have monopoly over all wheeled sports.
    I really wouldn't take anything for granted with them to be honest, their attitude has been a constant surprise to me. This whole BSF was a complete last minute blindside to all of us, no one saw that move coming!

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Saying it twice doesn't really make it any less weird, which other country are you expecting him to skate for?

The UK, obviously.

The comment was just that sentence itself. About anyone.

I don't pay any attention to football, tennis, whatever...so to say someone is "skating for X country" is very odd to me.

Anyway...my point was basically this:

Quote Originally Posted by nicfromsidcup View Post
    We’re out to Support U.K. skateboarding, not be petty bellends is the brief answer.

Übermensch

Fuck me, I just got a private message about a 350k skatepark funding that was applied for successfully by skateboarders in conjunction with a certain federation. The funds were awarded but no skatepark ever materialised. There’s more details that i need to write up without getting me or anyone else into legal bother but i’m beyond shocked at this one.
    Last edited by nicfromsidcup; 3 Days Ago at 11:45 PM.

Übermensch

Fuck me, I just got a private message about a 350k skatepark funding that was applied for successfully by skateboarders in conjugation with a certain federation. The funds were awarded but no skatepark ever materialised. There’s more details that i need to write up without getting me or anyone else into legal bother but i’m beyond shocked at this one.

What?
    350k awarded to the BSF? for something that didn't materialise? By awarded do we mean offered and not taken because the project never happened or was the money actually transferred?
    Wowzers.

Who would the money have been awarded to? Why would you give it to a skateboard federation? Surely you'd go for a skatepark builder?

Very satisfying end to the women's SLS. Very solid Japanese woman called Nishimura was leading for most of it but Leticia manages to get a 9 on her last trick. The Brazilians, especially her support team (eurgh), started celebrating incredibly ungraciously. Then Nishimura gets the 8.5 she needs to win on her last go. Leticia storms off in a strop.

Edit: from 1:48:25

Last edited by Dent Face; 4 Days Ago at 08:18 PM.

Thread Information