Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Ultra King

Default Politics

So France just voted Emmanuel Macron as their new president - avoiding the rising national front.
    We've had Brexit and Trump so personally I see this as a positive change from the old guard and a hopefully a good alternative in this era of change.
    Change is the call of the day and the general election is one month away.
    I know this is a skate forum but I think it's good to launch a thread that let's everyone share their opinion on the the system that could dictate how the world turns.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Mini Goon

Default Re: Politics

Thank you France. Pleased with this outcome. Can't say I'm not relieved that they didn't vote in a fascist. Maybe this represents a change from Nationalist populism. Who knows? But it's bound to have an impact on our upcoming election ...

Politics is for wankers. Just go skating and forget about it.

‹bermensch

Surely you're joking....right?

I kind of agree. Cast your vote for sure, please, please do, but unless you are knee deep in the shit and trying to change it on a real level than all the internet posts in the world won't change anything. Go skate.

‹bermensch

Can't skate on the train to work but you can argue the superiority of Keynesian economics over supply side policies with rich, selfish people you've never met (whilst kidding both them and yourself that you know what you're on about) for shits and giggles. Politics is fun.

Mini Goon

Why not do both? Who cares? If you're not interested don't read it ...

Ultra King

There is little to celebrate in the French elections. Whilst obviously i detest Le Pen and her fascists

1) Massive numbers of people voted for Le Pen and the FN
    2) the President is a neoliberal who will continue to enact the policies which have created the situation in which fascists can grow and hammer w-c residents

not sure where you're going with that cartoon, gawk. you saying it's gonna happen anyway so why not vote in le pen now? like it's a wasted 5 years and macron will do absolutely nothing? sounds a little defeatist to me
    Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    Surely you're joking....right?
    Look who posted, have you not noticed Freshkid has just become a shit tier troll. People should just ignore him

(I know people could say I border on troll sometimes but feel I am not as flippant and raise some interesting points)

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by floor odoriser View Post
    not sure where you're going with that cartoon, gawk. you saying it's gonna happen anyway so why not vote in le pen now? like it's a wasted 5 years and macron will do absolutely nothing? sounds a little defeatist to me
    Yeah, this. Such a shitty attitude from Gawk there

Quote Originally Posted by Freshkid View Post
    Politics is for wankers. Just go skating and forget about it.
    Tend to agree. It's a bit like religion.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    Tend to agree. It's a bit like religion.
    Kinda get what you're saying but religion only influences those who buy into it there aren't any knock on effects for the future of the whole of the countries population.

Also I feel a lot of the stuff influenced by politics aren't necessarily things that we notice or pay attention to day to day but more something we will notice the effect of 10 years down the line. Because of this I think it is very easy to dismiss politics because of all the red tape, opaqueness and posh wankers but I think to not pay attention at all and totally write off any sort of discussion is pretty short sighted and ignorant.

Also I would say the users of this forum are all 'privileged' to a certain extent and a lot of the cuts to benefits/ services the Tories are implementing/ proposing aren't ever going to effect any of us

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

I'm not sure that Macron's victory is cause for huge celebration myself, ultimately people like Le Pen only have one gimmick or card to play when most people want improvement to infrastructure, job security, economic growth not just changes to immigration policy.

Administrator

Yeah I agree.
    The general "well he's better than Le Pen" response from the online politics communities is a bit underwhelming really.
    Let's see what happens but the rise of FN/Le Pen came off the back of Hollande's 4% approval rating and Macron despite 'starting a new party' is basically the same as Hollande in terms of ideology and as an ex-Rothchilds banker is hardly a 'man of the people' likely to heal the massive rifts in French society is he?

Tim foil heads on reddit etc going nuts over him giving his victory speech set to the EU anthem 'Ode to Joy' too, rather than the French anthem.

Thread Information