Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Default Re: Politics

I don't own a house or have any investments, so I don't really care about the economy for now, all I care about is the safety of my son and how much tax I pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Kinda get what you're saying but religion only influences those who buy into it there aren't any knock on effects for the future of the whole of the countries population.

Also I feel a lot of the stuff influenced by politics aren't necessarily things that we notice or pay attention to day to day but more something we will notice the effect of 10 years down the line. Because of this I think it is very easy to dismiss politics because of all the red tape, opaqueness and posh wankers but I think to not pay attention at all and totally write off any sort of discussion is pretty short sighted and ignorant.
    Agree. And politics affects skateboarding - think skatepark funding and provision, Brexit and its effects on prices, policing of public space etc.

Stoked Le Pen didn't get in. And I hate that this populism thing is branded as 'anti-establishment'. Trump, Farrage are hardly men of the people or outsiders. At least Macron isn't a total shite.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dent Face View Post
    Agree. And politics affects skateboarding - think skatepark funding and provision, Brexit and its effects on prices, policing of public space etc.

Stoked Le Pen didn't get in. And I hate that this populism thing is branded as 'anti-establishment'. Trump, Farrage are hardly men of the people or outsiders. At least Macron isn't a total shite.
    Very true.

'Anti establishment' is as much as a meme as 'populism' anyway - anyone in politics professionally is, by default, part of the Establishment regardless of their political leanings surely?

Administrator

This was linked in a reddit discussion re France/UK elections and whilst not new is still pretty funny.

Politics is grim right now.

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

As this is a general political thread I thought I'd add this horrific news:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke...ail/story.html

'A CONTRACT to diagnose illnesses in thousands of patients has been handed to a private firm even though the NHS offered to do the work for seven million pounds cheaper.'

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    As this is a general political thread I thought I'd add this horrific news:

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/stoke...ail/story.html

'A CONTRACT to diagnose illnesses in thousands of patients has been handed to a private firm even though the NHS offered to do the work for seven million pounds cheaper.'
    Fucking terrible - privatization via the illusion of free market tenders.

Also scary given that Lloyds Bank (the bank that we the public bailed out) owns a stake in 85% of Alliance Medical.
    Jesus...

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    I don't own a house or have any investments, so I don't really care about the economy for now, all I care about is the safety of my son and how much tax I pay.
    I don't mean to sound harsh but this is why we end up with a Tory government and vital services chronically underfunded; people only giving a shit about their own lives breeds a society that fails millions whilst a few profit. You're fully entitled to this perspective but I find it difficult to express politely how much I disagree with it.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    I don't mean to sound harsh but this is why we end up with a Tory government and vital services chronically underfunded; people only giving a shit about their own lives breeds a society that fails millions whilst a few profit. You're fully entitled to this perspective but I find it difficult to express politely how much I disagree with it.
    Probably the first thing we totally agree on haha

The fingers in the ears 'lalalala' and 'what's my vote going to do?' mentality of a lot of people re: politics is a big reason why we're where we are now

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    do you care about the effect on the economy on other people?
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post
    If someone flipped the water tower gap I'd give them a handjob.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    do you care about the effect on the economy on other people?
    As long as there aren't loads of homeless people not really.

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by floor odoriser View Post
    not sure where you're going with that cartoon, gawk. you saying it's gonna happen anyway so why not vote in le pen now? like it's a wasted 5 years and macron will do absolutely nothing? sounds a little defeatist to me
    No, not all, rather it's meant to be combative, not defeatist. I clearly did not make myself clear in my first post, so will go again in a bit more detail!

The cartoon is highlighting that Macron's neoliberal policies, policies he (a former investment banker!) has a strong track record of developing and help implement will help strengthen Le Pen and increase her chances of being victorious next election. These neoliberal policies which have devestated w-c communities across France (and the wider world), technocratic, There Is No Alternative rule which has dismepowered and removed political representation from w-c communities, a free movement of capital which we're told is great for us all, but devestates the peripheries, de-industralising and further impacting collective identities, an identitarian liberal politics which, quoting the Streeck article below

'The cosmopolitan identitarianism of the leaders of the neoliberal age, originating as it did in part from left-wing universalism, calls forth by way of reaction a national identitarianism, while anti-national re-education from above produces an anti-elitist nationalism from below.'

policies which increase inequality etc have been fundamental in the growth of the far-right across the world. Many of us see little to cheer about it the election of this avowed neoliberal who is only likely to continue business as normal, further exacerbating declines of living standards for ordinary people and increasing the conditions in which the FN can grow. The abstention and spoilt ballot figures from Sunday just highlight this political disconnect further and the extent to which substantial sections of the French populace are alienated from the political process.

There is some reason for hope mind - Melenchon did much better than expected and there's a real chance FI could greatly expand in coming years. There's also a real growth in the extra-parliamentary left.

Nothing I'm saying re: the rise of far/hard-right populism vis-a-vis neoliberal politics is new. The latest Streeck is pretty good (apart from one slightly bizarre sneering paragraph where after, correctly, skewering assorted elites for sneering at the losers from their policies, he then engages in it re: twitter etc. Academics, eh!)

https://newleftreview.org/II/104/wol...-the-repressed

and the consistently great Mark Blyth well worth a read/watch/listen

On a related note, Macron's victory pretty much confirms Brexit is going to be a shambles for the UK

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Can't think why the Tories are doing so well recently.

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    Na, I care about things and other people but I just get on with life and don't shit myself whenever something bad happens in the news.

‹bermensch

I think hugo is the one person I couldn't be bothered trying to get in any sort of political talk with (he'd probably be stoked on this anyway)

Yeah, 'how many beers to bang Theresa' would be the highlight of that conversation.

Thread Information