Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Politics

Default Re: Politics

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    I don't mean to sound harsh but this is why we end up with a Tory government and vital services chronically underfunded; people only giving a shit about their own lives breeds a society that fails millions whilst a few profit. You're fully entitled to this perspective but I find it difficult to express politely how much I disagree with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    The fingers in the ears 'lalalala' and 'what's my vote going to do?' mentality of a lot of people re: politics is a big reason why we're where we are now
    I'll second all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    Yeah, 'how many beers to bang Theresa' would be the highlight of that conversation.
    Hahaha!
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

I think people tend to hang out and are friends with people that are like minded, in to the same things and views. Why wouldn't you? But at work, the school yard parents, pub friends, etc people outside the inner circle, it has been getting more and more scary with what they say and think.

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Such as?

Things like brexit was never a real shock to me, if you listen to what people were saying in the street. The amount of times of I've heard people talking about how you can't get on a bus without being the only white person that speaks English, or are against the Polish (white Europeans). It is funny what people will tell you when they think you feel the same or just don't care who hears.

I work a lot in all types of schools, from £££ public schools through to Education Centres for emotionally vulnerable and kids who have been expelled from every school in their local area. If you have a kid, are an uncle, aunt, whatever: politics never was more important than now. These changes mentioned below have happened in the last 7 years. Tip of the iceberg too, also throw in huge class sizes, fewer TAs for children with special support requirements, schools falling apart, outdated equipment, teachers feeling utterly demoralised...

Also it is laughable that the government likes to talk about how valuable the creative economy now and in the future...and then schools have to prioritise funding so have to drop teaching art, music, drama, etc. Languages too...in the time of a global economy. Ironically about as bleak as the 1950s were. Sorry to bleat on but falling for the "but they have 6 weeks summer holiday" shite isn't going to cut it when yours or your friends' kids are more stressed at 10 than you were for your GCSEs and essentially educationally handicapped by the dogma of a handful of people.

I'm always really surprised that the Conservative Government just doesn't seem to give a fuck about education for the masses. Yet seemingly is about people making the best of their opportunities in work and life. How funding for education fell off the bottom of the priority list under Trident, et al, fuck only knows. Imagine if a party said "Fuck It, We're spending a Trillion on Education in the next 10 years, class size max of 15, huge teacher recruitment and training programme all free, max 45 hour week for teachers, progressive thinking on school layouts, testing, use of play, the day structure, grouping of children with different needs, free after school clubs, new school fields, every school over 30 years old knocked down and replaced, free school meals for all, free art supplies, musical instruments, iPads, software...". Young people all set to kick off their lives smarter, more creative, fitter physically and mentally and the best prepared in the history of the World. I'd seriously pay higher taxes for that, tomorrow.

That is pretty bleak stuff but I'm not surprised, I don't envy the current generation but I can't see where the change is coming from. Anyone that hates the way things are won't vote.

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by gawkrodger View Post
    The cartoon is highlighting that Macron's neoliberal policies, policies he (a former investment banker!) has a strong track record of developing and help implement will help strengthen Le Pen and increase her chances of being victorious next election.
    Jumping back to this, just to underline my point, I've just watched an interview on SkyNews with Macron's main spindoctor.

Asked what Macron's key priorities were he immediatly replied 'liberalisation of the workforce/economy'

Jumping back to this, just to underline my point, I've just watched an interview on SkyNews with Macron's main spindoctor.

Asked what Macron's key priorities were he immediatly replied 'liberalisation of the workforce/economy'
    you know how macron could have really helped le pen win? by losing yesterday
    Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP

Exploitation of the cheap labour available to them through the EU then?

Administrator

New Jonathan Pie - guessing that this is the right thread for him really.

Übermensch

Ignore the sensationalistic title, this is a very interesting (terrifying) piece on how data is being used by private companies and individuals to dictate/manipulate/influence elections and politics. Reads like a dystopian thriller - https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e_iOSApp_Other

Quote Originally Posted by monster network View Post
    I work a lot in all types of schools, from £££ public schools through to Education Centres for emotionally vulnerable and kids who have been expelled from every school in their local area. If you have a kid, are an uncle, aunt, whatever: politics never was more important than now. These changes mentioned below have happened in the last 7 years. Tip of the iceberg too, also throw in huge class sizes, fewer TAs for children with special support requirements, schools falling apart, outdated equipment, teachers feeling utterly demoralised...

Also it is laughable that the government likes to talk about how valuable the creative economy now and in the future...and then schools have to prioritise funding so have to drop teaching art, music, drama, etc. Languages too...in the time of a global economy. Ironically about as bleak as the 1950s were. Sorry to bleat on but falling for the "but they have 6 weeks summer holiday" shite isn't going to cut it when yours or your friends' kids are more stressed at 10 than you were for your GCSEs and essentially educationally handicapped by the dogma of a handful of people.

I'm always really surprised that the Conservative Government just doesn't seem to give a fuck about education for the masses. Yet seemingly is about people making the best of their opportunities in work and life. How funding for education fell off the bottom of the priority list under Trident, et al, fuck only knows. Imagine if a party said "Fuck It, We're spending a Trillion on Education in the next 10 years, class size max of 15, huge teacher recruitment and training programme all free, max 45 hour week for teachers, progressive thinking on school layouts, testing, use of play, the day structure, grouping of children with different needs, free after school clubs, new school fields, every school over 30 years old knocked down and replaced, free school meals for all, free art supplies, musical instruments, iPads, software...". Young people all set to kick off their lives smarter, more creative, fitter physically and mentally and the best prepared in the history of the World. I'd seriously pay higher taxes for that, tomorrow.

Surely parents can make up for this by educating their children and encouraging creativeness outside of school?
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    Surely parents can make up for this by educating their children and encouraging creativeness outside of school?
    smh

you shake your head, but you can make the best out of a bad situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Thread Information