Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakai - The Flare - official trailer

‹bermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Default Re: Lakai - The Flare - official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    There have been plenty of those yes but there have been more 'we don't care - we just want to see him skate' articles so I'm hoping for a few Rick H bits.
    Gotta give the customers what they want eh?
    Well if he does feel he's too old then people should just show him his recent footage and politely but firmly inform him that he's wrong. Especially given that recent parts from top pros have hardly been hammer after hammer.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    Well if he does feel he's too old then people should just show him his recent footage and politely but firmly inform him that he's wrong. Especially given that recent parts from top pros have hardly been hammer after hammer.
    100% agree there.
    It seemed (until recently) that Crailtap's commitment to 'elitism' in terms of only showing the absolute best of skating in their output has sort of worked against them in the last 3/4 years as Insta and throwaway edits have become the norm.
    Happy to see them stepping up with Weakdays series etc, plus that Daniel Policelli dudes making all those re-edits too (they should deffo be hooking him up) bringing them back into the current day game.

Brilliant - this should be good! 10 years since Fully Flared isn't it!? I still love that video.

Weirdly, I've been listening to loads of old "uncool" McCartney and Wings too...

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    100% agree there.
    It seemed (until recently) that Crailtap's commitment to 'elitism' in terms of only showing the absolute best of skating in their output has sort of worked against them in the last 3/4 years as Insta and throwaway edits have become the norm.
    So they'd rather have had a 'legend' type pro in Howard still capable of stylish skateboarding without putting out full video parts? That would be like when Shay Given was benched for City or whoever it was and was still world class, what a waste.

Widdler

Decent Song choice, suits it well. More the look and feel getting me excited than any of the content, but it is a trailer.

This isn't far off now in the States at least, any word on UK premieres?

Does this kind of look like 'Make Friends With The Color Blue'? Or is it just me? And their graphics around that time?

‹bermensch

So they'd rather have had a 'legend' type pro in Howard still capable of stylish skateboarding without putting out full video parts? That would be like when Shay Given was benched for City or whoever it was and was still world class, what a waste.
    Posted in the Footage thread but also going to put it here:

Get what you're saying but wish people would stop giving this crap about people like Rick and Gino etc.

To look at it from his point of view where you were once at the top of your game/ achieved legend status you still will feel some level of pressure no matter how many people say you can just put out a chilling part. Maybe he doesnt want to? Maybe they don't the pressure of really filming anymore for these full on productions and prefer to bow out gracefully without being seen as milking it. I can imagine for a lot of these ageing top pros in the next few years this sort of thing is going to happen

And a load of wastemen on the internet just moan about it, they've produced enough classic parts in the past just let them be. People aren't owed anything by these guys, if I was in their position I'd be insecure/ nervous as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Posted in the Footage thread but also going to put it here:

Get what you're saying but wish people would stop giving this crap about people like Rick and Gino etc.

To look at it from his point of view where you were once at the top of your game/ achieved legend status you still will feel some level of pressure no matter how many people say you can just put out a chilling part. Maybe he doesnt want to? Maybe they don't the pressure of really filming anymore for these full on productions and prefer to bow out gracefully without being seen as milking it. I can imagine for a lot of these ageing top pros in the next few years this sort of thing is going to happen

And a load of wastemen on the internet just moan about it, they've produced enough classic parts in the past just let them be. People aren't owed anything by these guys, if I was in their position I'd be insecure/ nervous as fuck.
    I think you're answering a different point here and besides I don't even think it would be that much of a 'chilling part' either as we are hardly in a mad hammers era of skating but that's just my opinion. If he thinks his tricks will be well below the standard he's previously set then that's his call. I just think that's incorrect in my view but he's got enough of a back catalogue to enjoy. My point here was referring to the elitism of only putting out the very best stuff when clearly the strength of Crailtap is that they have a number of legends who are still very popular, ok they're not going to be one upping Shane O'Neill et al but like I say, we're not in a hammers type era, look at Koston, Janoski and even BA's Nike parts, they've hardly changed the game in recent years.

‹bermensch

My point here was referring to the elitism of only putting out the very best stuff when clearly the strength of Crailtap is that they have a number of legends who are still very popular.
    Yeah with older guys who grew up with them. Don't get me wrong I love anything Gino, Carroll, Rick put out but from a brand perspective most kids under the age of about 18 don't give a fuck and probably just wonder who the hell these old guys are. Which is a shame but I feel like Crailtap are teetering on the edge right now and need to really make a bang. I totally get why those guys are keeping the footy to a minimum in the web clips. I would do the same, if I was in Howards position and getting older and not feeling in my prime anymore I'd by hyper critical of my own footage. Despite what the world might say at the end of the day in creative/ athletic fields you are often your own worst enemy/critic

look at Koston, Janoski and even BA's Nike parts, they've hardly changed the game in recent years.
    Yeah but were people really hyped on them? They just got forgotten IMO, can't remember much positive being said (maybe BA did a good tre on flat or something) but I'd say the majority of stuff I saw when those later parts came out was how underwhelming they were
    Last edited by Haven_Hamilton; 12th June 2017 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah but were people really hyped on them? They just got forgotten IMO, can't remember much positive being said (maybe BA did a good tre on flat or something) but I'd say the majority of stuff I saw when those later parts came out was how underwhelming they were
    Well there's no way of measuring the hype of parts for one so I don't know where that debate would go but I don't they were forgotten or underwhelming either, it really depends what you want, if you want the biggest and best tricks and don't care that much about style then I'd guess all their recent parts would've been underwhelming. I don't want to see someone just cruising around particularly but well performed tricks and smooth lines from an older legend is something I have time for personally. If you're calling all the tricks from him in that part just posted on the latest footage thread chilled or underwhelming then I guess we'll never agree.

‹bermensch

I mean I wasn't strictly speaking for myself on the underwhelming aspect more a general consensus of what I read on the internet after they came out. I'm personally stoked on seeing the footage but simply saying that I hate the 'just put out any footage' complaint people give these older legendary dudes because quite frankly in the current skateboard climate it is intimidating as fuck no matter how many old guys sing your praises on message boards. I think if you were once at the top of your game you think about things a little differently.

‹bermensch

Also I loved that recent Rick Howard remix thing but it was all skate park footy basically, bit different

I hate the 'just put out any footage' complaint people give these older legendary dudes because quite frankly in the current skateboard climate it is intimidating as fuck no matter how many old guys sing your praises on message boards.
    That's fair enough actually, a part for the sake of it would suck. If you look at Penny now, it feels as though every single time someone can film him skate they do it and put it online very quick and that's resulted in some really quite stinking tricks or lines being put out there, so I'd rather nothing from Howard than that.

Chris Haslam just stalked Penny to put footage online, haha, pros stalking pros... the Penny effect.

Thread Information