Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lakai - The Flare - official trailer

Übermensch

Default Re: Lakai - The Flare - official trailer

Quote Originally Posted by ihatethegeneralpublic View Post
    That's fair enough actually, a part for the sake of it would suck. If you look at Penny now, it feels as though every single time someone can film him skate they do it and put it online very quick and that's resulted in some really quite stinking tricks or lines being put out there, so I'd rather nothing from Howard than that.
    Yeah this kinda my point really there needs to a balance between quality control/amount of footage put out there. It's obvious Howard still is skating very well but as I said that remix part was all skatepark footage really, guy has been out filming street parts since he was a kid. Don't really blame him for maybe not being as motivated to try a line for 3 hours or do something that feel half hearted and done for the sake of it.

Gino touched on this sort of thing in his chromeball interview, thinks it sums things up well:

But that’s what people have been saying about you! I mean, I understand holding yourself to a higher standard, and on top of that, you have to deal with skateboarding holding you, in particular, to an even higher ideal as this style icon but does the pressure of being “Gino” ever jam things up in your head? Just like it possibly did to Rick in Pretty Sweet?

It definitely jams things up in my head at times because I do hear that sort of thing a lot. I mean, when I was younger with those 101 videos and the early Chocolate videos, I was only concerned with the tricks I was doing. Making sure that I was coming through and on-point. I felt confident in what I was doing.

The “style” thing wasn’t a concern back then. It was about skating and doing good shit. All of a sudden, you start hearing so much about style that you start to feel like you’re getting love for the wrong reasons.

“Oh, I would rather see him push…” That doesn’t make me happy. It’s flattering but I’d rather get love for the actual skating. I’m sure there are kids out there who are looking at me like, “So? What’s he doing? He’s not skating.”

But at the same time, I also get pissed off because it has become this thing where every time there’s a video project coming out, people started talking about a full-video part from me. I’m 41-years-old. When does that stop? When do people stop expecting a full-video part? Most probably already have at this point actually, but for Pretty Sweet, I kept hearing about this full-part I might have. I was already in my late 30’s by then, my body is not the same as it was when I was younger. I have injuries.

There are just so many things that make it difficult for a full video-part. Inspiration is a big part of it and that’s not always there. It’s a mix of things: you get tense, you get bummed, sometimes you just don’t care. Sometimes I’m at a spot and if I don’t look on-point, I start to worry that whoever else is there will be disappointed in me. A lot of things get in the fucking way of skating.

It’s this weird thing where I’m totally appreciative of this pressure while being annoyed at the same time, if that makes sense. I need to get on it enough to get where I don’t give a shit about the worrying anymore.

Sorry for chiming in, but then it reverts back to the fact that you can't have your cake and eat it...

If you're a pro skater, you're getting paid to represent a company. You've got a duty...

Initiate

I love later footage of Rick Howard. Like with a few other older veteran pros, he does a simple trick and you think "ah THAT'S how you should do those". One of the joys of watching a seasoned skater is watching the simple things done very well. Also, with some older skaters, they've skated for so long that their style has evolved and refined, Rick Howard is a good example, you could watch him in silhouette and you'd instantly know who he was and what he was doing. You get a different thrill than you do from watching new tricks, or new gnarl... it's just good skateboarding, timeless and ever-watchable imho

So yes, more Rick and Mike footage please

Having said that, I fully agree with the thing about putting a good filter on it, no-one wanted to see Tom Penny being shit but now we can't wash it off our eyes

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Gino is a completely different kettle of fish to me, everyone absolutely loved the last part he put out and then he came out saying he was hyped on skating again because of the move to FA and has put out basically sweet FA in terms of footage. I don't recall Howard being in this boat, he's just someone that is still perfectly capable of filming a good part and has been choosing not to, that's absolutely fine in general but a bit questionable if you have boards put out with your name on every year.

Quote Originally Posted by hadenough View Post
    I love later footage of Rick Howard. Like with a few other older veteran pros, he does a simple trick and you think "ah THAT'S how you should do those". One of the joys of watching a seasoned skater is watching the simple things done very well.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Mews View Post
    Sorry for chiming in, but then it reverts back to the fact that you can't have your cake and eat it...

If you're a pro skater, you're getting paid to represent a company. You've got a duty...

You can when you get paid by all your own companies haha, he no stupid.

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Cereal Mews View Post

Certain select people get a pass IMO but yeah I would imagine in the next couple of years he'll phase his pro boards out

Gino is a completely different kettle of fish to me, everyone absolutely loved the last part he put out and then he came out saying he was hyped on skating again because of the move to FA and has put out basically sweet FA in terms of footage. I don't recall Howard being in this boat, he's just someone that is still perfectly capable of filming a good part and has been choosing not to, that's absolutely fine in general but a bit questionable if you have boards put out with your name on every year.
    I guess but still feel the above point could be equally as relevant for Howard, I think it's all well good sitting back on a forum being like I don't care if he does hard stuff I just want to see it. To these skaters this is their art and passion that they have honed for decades and they should have full control on their output. Everyone is always more critical of their own stuff. Nobody really films a trick chilling and watches it back and says 'shit I'm so steez' in fact most likely the opposite.

Howard is doing the late stage career thing right IMO

And I honestly don't think he is still capable of filming a full 3-4 minute street part to a standard he would deem acceptable in a reasonable time frame...

Ultra King

all those webclip parts in one
    "The idea that skateboards are made for rolling… Busenitz understands this."

Übermensch

So vid premiered and Howard and Carroll have only a couple of tricks each, surprise surprise.

Wow, the cheek of it! Typical ageing, lazy pros in their 40s. Why aren't they jumping down El Toro? Why haven't they had the time to film full parts whilst trying to save their troubled companies? I say we stage an uprising and forcibly take their pro boards from them. They're not fit to wear the shirt!

Übermensch

No I agree with your sarcastic comment

I was referring to all the people a few days ago banging on about how they can still and will film a part etc.

Crailtap need to shift it up let the legends take a back seat, the amount of flow guys they've done with is actually shocking

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Crailtap need to shift it up let the legends take a back seat
    So vid premiered and Howard and Carroll have only a couple of tricks each, surprise surprise.
    Sounds like they are ahead of you on they, right?

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Sounds like they are ahead of you on they, right?
    That's only two of them, you've also got Jeron on Girl and then Justin Eldridge, Chico & Chris Roberts on Chocolate

I was referring to them taking a back seat team wise, it was obvious Howard & Carroll don't have a full proper part in them anymore

All those guys listed are still being paid and are filling up slots on the team that could be filled by up and comers/ legends of the future

As I said before look how many people Crailtap have left to fester on a flow deal. I mean Yonnie Cruz isn't even fully on Chocolate ffs!!

Howard is doing the late stage career thing right IMO

Crailtap need to shift it up let the legends take a back seat, the amount of flow guys they've done with is actually shocking
    So what is it? Is he doing it right or does he need to take a back seat?!

Übermensch

So what is it? Is he doing it right or does he need to take a back seat?!

FFS stop just honing in on Howard. I listed before that he is not the only one.

You are confusing two different points, I'm saying that Howard is doing the late career stage thing well in terms of maintaining a strict control on output and not just filming anything. But really I think he should take his name off the pro roster and make way for new talent.

Thread Information