Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fucking about with WayBack machine - a day on the forum in April 2004

Default Re: Fucking about with WayBack machine - a day on the forum in April 2004

Bumming Vampires and Werewolves

Administrator

Default Re: Fucking about with WayBack machine - a day on the forum in April 2004

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Bumming Vampires and Werewolves
    Tried really hard to find that one but couldn't.

Wasn't it - 'moshers r gay - go bak to bumming vampires and werewolvez'?

Administrator

Übermensch

I just remembered a friend of mine turned up to southbank one day really bummed out and when I asked him what was up, he told me that he had called out some Brady footage of him fake steezing it at cantalowes on the n26 forum (I can remember the footage, it was a flip nosepick on the old bank with a ridiculously over the top back leg tuck on the exit) and everyone online bashed him for it and he had a shit skate all day and it really affected him. It was the first time I was aware of the forum. Was probably around 2004.

I think the same year PSSP local claimed on the forum that rory milanes wasn't good enough to be sponsored, got backlash and denied his IRL identity.
    It's so weird I've been aware of the forum the majority of my skate life but never checked it out until about a year or two ago

Ultra King

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    Amusing to see the posters posting in 2004 that are still here - me, nav, Spanky, ifliped, ihatethegeneralpublic and a few others.
    I started posting mid 04, must have been 13 or 14, before that i went on a mostly american forum called skateboard city which was truly awful
    "The idea that skateboards are made for rolling… Busenitz understands this."

Administrator

Had a look on Wayback Machine for Dansworld.com, one of the earliest www skate sites that pre-dates the likes of TWS site etc.
    It came after the use-net (i think that's the correct name) news groups but before 'modern' skate sites.

It's archived on there and there are some interesting bits and pieces in said archive.

One thing is a transcript of a Skateboard Industry meeting that allegedly took place after the old San Diego Trade Show in 1994 (I have no way of knowing the veracity of it but it's still interesting - especially if you look at how the skate industry went on to evolve).

Lots of interesting bits in there for anyone who can be arsed to click.

"
    Make Skateboarding more accessible to potential skaters- Right now the
    general public can't understand skating. It's too technical and too
    inconsistent. Name another sport in which the pro's are so inconsistent.
    Everyone must have heard non-skaters at pro contests ask when the pro's
    skate. We must make them go "Wow! Look at that" if we want them to get
    their attention. Right now skating does not look fun. The kid could quite
    possibly pass by the skateshop and go buy a mountain bike or a basketball
    instead."

Today's skateboard industry could do with a similar meeting around the fact that we are all handing facebook/instagram the entirety of the skateboard media without a second thought.

Also:

9) New CompaniesWe discussed how easy it is to enter the skateboard Industry. That it
    shouldn't be a problem if someone wants to start a company. But when a
    company is started to destroy another company, or make the stock on
    everyone's floor obsolete, it only contributes to the instability of the
    industry and erodes customer confidence in buying product.
    ACTION: We should stop shooting ourselves in the foot by helping a
    company get set up and running, especially companies who are coming in
    for a quick buck, or do not support the industry and magazines, or do not have long term plans.

Companies that are not skater owned born to make money, yeah, I get that. But, who has the right to say who (in skateboarding) can/can't start a brand? I get that if a company comes along and captures a mood, gets big quick can steal sales and the worry of your business falling out of favour and getting into trouble would be crazy stressful but it's down to them to work it out not get hissy and territorial.

Edit: ignore as I didn't realise it was a really old thing. But, the point still stands if people still think that way.
    Last edited by seismic egg; 15th January 2018 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leatherhead View Post

Using the word townie seems weird now.
    And 'scally' I know plenty of people that hadn't heard either term.
    Quote Originally Posted by telmernatorx View Post
    my balls were tingling for beiber.

www.hauntingskateboards.co.uk

nuair a imbhuaileann dhá blackberrys

Joined in January 2004, a whole 14 years ago. scary. then my account broke and i had to make this one.

Hope everyone is doing well.
    "Technically a polanski!"

Quote Originally Posted by anonymity View Post
    Yeah the Internet is so soft and manicured these days - back then (only 14 years ago) it was filled with spam/vitriol/idoicy that you rarely see anywhere now.
    Funny insight into the 'safe space' thing I guess
    don't know where you're looking but that still rings pretty true to me, just everyone isn't calling each other a faggot all day long

also the whole notion of 'safe space' is such a load of made up nonsense, similar level to calling someone a 'millenial' to insult them
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by wayoutskates View Post
    don't know where you're looking but that still rings pretty true to me, just everyone isn't calling each other a faggot all day long

also the whole notion of 'safe space' is such a load of made up nonsense, similar level to calling someone a 'millenial' to insult them

Not really, the ‘Internet’ these days for the vast majority of people, 60-80% of all users according to a recent survey (which I can’t find as I’m on a phone)is Social Media. Social Media is a profit driven business model of the internet and thus is moderated and has staff in place to police it to a certain extent.
    that simply did not exist in the early days of Web 1.0 - before Facebook, before YouTube etc etc - nobody was in charge and anything went in a way unthinkable now.
    Yes there is still vitriol on the web but it is nothing at all like the free for all of the pre Google/Social Media days.
    That's all I meant.

Übermensch

OMFG... So many of us had webpages... I clicked on mine not really expecting anything.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20030715...ut.cjb.net:80/

I spent ages making that shitty banner!! Amazing!!

My son who's in the photo age 4 is now 19... Whoah!

OMG.. spot check.. Manchester mini banks... The beige in MK... Blast from the past! Hah, sorry.. stoked!
    Last edited by Ifliped; 11th February 2018 at 11:53 PM.
    MOOOOOSE!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Ifliped View Post
    OMFG... So many of us had webpages... I clicked on mine not really expecting anything.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20030715...ut.cjb.net:80/

I spent ages making that shitty banner!! Amazing!!

My son who's in the photo age 4 is now 19... Whoah!

OMG.. spot check.. Manchester mini banks... The beige in MK... Blast from the past! Hah, sorry.. stoked!
    Ha ha.
    I remember going on your site in the mists of the past.

Administrator

bump for nostalgia lolz

Thread Information