Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skate diy tips

‹bermensch

Default skate diy tips

Not shelving related.
    I want to know which is the best lacquer (sp?) to paint onto a kerb. I want more than wax, I want to feel like an American on one of those insanely slippery red Kerbs.
    preferably a B'n'Q brand, as it's the B'n'Q Kerb I plan to go to town on. Can anyone help?

also a thread for diy tips/sharing
    Last edited by gregoryconroy; 7th March 2018 at 05:58 PM. Reason: can't remember which is the correct spelling of curb/kerb

Default Re: skate diy tips

What about floor paint?
    you can get some heavy duty stuff made for garage floors.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by judith priest View Post
    What about floor paint?
    you can get some heavy duty stuff made for garage floors.
    Tried and tested? anyone know if it does the job?

Go to b&q and ask which is the toughest paint.

‹bermensch

Doesn't your B&Q kerb skate like a dream anyway? Seem to remember it grinding like a beast already.

Just go faster.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by volstenhulme View Post
    Doesn't your B&Q kerb skate like a dream anyway? Seem to remember it grinding like a beast already.
    Just fancy experimenting.

‹bermensch

Fair do's, can't blame you for wanting to improve the situation. Still jealous of your current one though, so much fun.

Try Screwfix, reviews are fairly reliable in my opinion, also costs way less than B&Q (but owned by same company).
    Get down with your bad self
    skateboardrumours.co.uk

Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP.

Mini Goon

looked into this in the summer. The red stuff is a thermoplastic paint which isn't really (for most) an option. we ended up just smoothing the surface, lathering with external paint then wax

Ultra King

We used some standard sealer varnish type of stuff from the local builders merchants we get our crete and curbs from. You paint about 5-6 coats on over and over and it works an absolute treat. It also worked really well for us when building DIY to use as an actual sealant as well as a lacquer, in all the coping gaps and cracks on curbstones etc. We made a big sausage that you can boardslide and slappy with only a thin layer of crete really and the lacquer helped strengthen it loads. At our old dustbowl DIY we used this stuff on all the coping, curbs, and tops of ramps, and from previous experience of building DIY and curbs grinding down and cracking etc, I can really say I noticed a big difference! It dries super thick and clear once you've put a few coats on. We also used it down our local curb spot before waxing the curbs and after a few layers of sealant, then some wax the curbs were flying way more than a couple regular waxing sessions would make em. Couldn't recommend it enough! (hey sealocrete you should employ me for your marketing dept)

Pretty positive this is the one we used! http://www.milfordbuildingsupplies.com/allin1-5l-1.html

Little video of our sausage too- https://www.instagram.com/p/BXNDe-9g...-by=spunkhutch
    / / /

Ultra King

With regards to the paint thing, i've noticed NCP car parks have the best, thickest painted curbs. I emailed them to ask what paint they used but they didn't get back to me, hah... Last time I got the boot from the NCP in Leeds the security was fuming, going mental saying 'We have to repaint these every time you skate them you bastards' whilst I was laughing explaining that the more they paint them, the better to skate they are!

We also painted some pool coping blocks with this floor paint kinda stuff and it actually just flaked off in big chunks, so I think with the thicker paints you have to make sure you layer them up real good onto rougher surfaces rather than smoother ones to get the desired consistency and functionality.
    Last edited by blinky; 8th March 2018 at 07:28 PM.
    / / /

‹bermensch

You can get clear laquer from wilkinsons, works a treat and is cheap as fuck. You got to put a couple of coats on buts its decent.

‹bermensch

https://www.diy.com/departments/rust.../128284_BQ.prd

^^^ Works well, and fast. Spray it on. Have a cup of tea. Wax like mad.
    It just stops the wax from soaking in so easily. Just spray before you wax for a few sessions and it'll end up going like mad.

For floor paint - I used to tap up the caretaker for the office block I used to work in. He had loads of leftover tins he was happy to give away. We'd go to the spot at night and paint 6 inches top and sides and a day or two later, wax it like mad and skate and it was PERFECT.

Again, it just does the same deal by stopping the wax from soaking into the porous concrete.

‹bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by blinky View Post
    NCP car parks.
    You mean NCP actually maintain these? The one up here doesn't look like it's had a wash in about a century. Which is probably true.

Thread Information