Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The mental health thread.

Default Re: The mental health thread.

yo my dude big up for posting this and for staying strong. your presence in my life on here and when we've gone skating before has been nothing but positive energies and your existence is very good imo

talking about this shit isn't at all easy but it's only a good thing for you and everyone else so big the fuck up. i don't talk about my shit nearly enough but seeing stuff like this makes me want to be a lot more open to doing so and i appreciate that

always down for a roll around and a coffee if you're ever about bro. stay active and positive x
    reverb on the naan. come test

Ultra King

Managing to post something about how you really feel is a good step. A great one.
    Even though it doesn't seem like it, talking really helps and more often than not to someone external to your social circles - or here where everyone is pseudo-anonymous.

I watch a couple of interesting vlogs about overcoming fear and anxiety recently and something the vlogger talks about is living in the present, not in the past or the future. The past is nostalgic and sad. the future is uncertain and worrying. If you can see yourself and focus on the now, then things should become simpler and easier.

Another aspect but it's a bit abstract is not to create disaster movies in your head. Look at the people around you and see that they carry on their daily lives. Project yourself into their movies.

On a personal level, I sometimes feel anxious and guilty when I see the world I live in and where it is headed. Sometimes it can get me really depressed. But when I talk about it with my wife or someone close, they remind me that alone I cannot fix everything. I need to focus on myself and those close to me. If I am positive only in the slightest, this can have a positive effect on situations and people close to me, which in turn can have a positive effect on their close circles and so on like a ripple effect.

Take a walk outside. Help an old lady cross the road. Smile at a kid. Give your local bin man a high five. Silly small gestures that can't do any harm and make you feel better.

Keep your head up.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    Give your local bin man a high five.
    Can't see this one happening but it made me laugh.

Drove from the desert to Marrakech yesterday, spent over 8 hours in a car and thought about tons of things. One of them was tricks I want to learn and the Mofugga slide (backtail body varial like you did when we skated in Walthamstow) was definitely on that list.
    You no longer skate but still inspire me and I really hope you can find happiness in this fucked up world.

Take care mate.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Thanks everyone, pretty overwhelmed by all your responses and messages and the whole situation in general tbh.

Bit spaced out at work today but I think I'm doing ok.

You guys are awesome.

Look after yourselves.. Hug ur mates etc
    What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers.

Quote Originally Posted by françois View Post
    Mofugga slide
    This put a huge goofy grin on my face haha. Get one on film!

I’m going to try, yes!
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Quote Originally Posted by InPraiseOfIdleness View Post
    Thanks everyone, pretty overwhelmed by all your responses and messages and the whole situation in general tbh.

Bit spaced out at work today but I think I'm doing ok.

You guys are awesome.

Look after yourselves.. Hug ur mates etc
    A lot more people been there than you think. Just talk talk talk, is all I can say from experience, Iv been taking SSRIs for 7years I think. My decision and they help me keep a balance in my anxiety.

Just remember that everything can change for the better in a split second. I try and always think like that, and break life down into mini wins. I know everyone else has said it but here to talk whenever!

I always thank street cleaners. It’s just like smiling at drivers that let you cross the road, it costs nothing and makes everybody, including you of course, happier.

Initiate

Good shit- big up. Life is literally too short not too

Wow, you're a proper Boss for even putting this out man, huge respect and it will help no end.
    While I can't empathise with your situ on your side of the fence personally I can from the other side and understand plenty. My Dad commited and succeded a good while ago now and left a huge hole behind. I'm so stoked you were able to think of the people around you in the moment, it's easy not to or more probably think of them in a negative way i.e. "they'd be better off" etc. they won't. Although, you shouldn't feel guilty about going through what you have gone through and what you thought about doing, you're not alive for them, you are alive for you and it's totally your choice about who controls how you live. By showing that you care enough about how people would be in the aftermath shows you have a strong head and are an amazing person. Like you say, you may have these head battles again down the line, just listen to that strong caring part of your head and make him the team leader.

Sorry for writing in such a wank way but it is hard to convey such unspoken taboos.

Are you this way up nowadays? I haven't been skating much either but just built a private ramp too so you're welcome to have a roll whenever man.

Glad you made it though IPOI, and thanks for starting a thread.

Been having a tough time of it for years and finally went to the doctors, he prescribed me 20mg citalopram.
    So far I've not started, everyone has given me such scare stories of the side effects and I've had too much on to be able to dedicate to illness.
    He could smell the ganja and hear the pressure flips and it would do his head in.

I might be able to help with this, that's what I just started on.

I'm only a few days in so obviously still dosing up but it's been a bit of a ride. Main side effects I've had have been tiredness, nausea, headaches, anxiety and grinding teeth. I've had a few episodes where I've felt a little bit high and kind of "outside my own head" like I'd be watching myself and listening to myself speak from somewhere else, which is a really weird feeling but it doesn't last very long.

The worst part of it has been the tiredness which makes it almost impossible to concentrate on anything, which is a problem if you write code for a living. I'll be at my desk and I'll catch myself staring at the wall or window with my jaw open about 10 times a day. The other day I fell asleep at my desk, I don't know how long for or if anyone noticed but that was pretty bad. I'm quite senior at my company so I can't have people seeing me like that, so I just left early and texted my boss who was fairly understanding. To be honest I've been basically useless at my job for about a week now, I'm noticeably slower, I'm indecisive, have no sense of urgency and I can't focus in meetings. This doesn't help with the depression because I now feel useless in addition to depressed...

The other thing is anxiety. I tried to go to the pub with the mrs a few days a go (just for an orange juice!) and I found it almost impossible to have a conversion with anyone in there. This is almost as bad as the tiredness, because I've always prided myself on how I talk to people and I always thought I was a fun guy when out for drinks or at a party or whatever. I know it's the pills because my doctor said it would make me feel pretty anxious until my brain got used to it, but I was surprised how crippling a feeling it could be. It was like a constant "oh fuck I've left my wallet and keys on the bus" kind of feeling, like the pang of panic in your chest you have when you've forgotten something, apart from it isn't a pang, it's continuous. I just had to walk out of the pub after about 10 minutes because I just completely froze up and couldn't talk to anyone. managed to calm down pretty quick once I got home. I'm basically avoiding this happening at work by staying completely silent and making myself as small as possible so nobody notices me. Seems to be working so far...

I don't know if it's linked to the anxiety but I quite often end up focusing on the fact that I've just been diagnosed with a mental issue when I thought I was normal the whole time. So now I'm obsessing slightly that I don't actually know what normal is or if I ever was normal and then I start to spiral out a little bit. I think this is probably to be expected and I'm hoping I'll get used to it or stop it soon but it's not very pleasant.

One pretty cool thing though, I figured out if I take my pill at just the right time (around 5:30am) I get a nice little kick just in time for the walk from the train station to the office. I get a really nice but very mild wave of euphoria where I just feel really comfortable and content. I don't know if it's actually a thing or a placebo effect because I'm thinking about it so much, but I like it... I kind of hope that's what "normal" feels like

All sounds pretty scary but I'm sticking with it though because it should only happen until the seratonin levels out after a few weeks. And the alternative is much worse... your life is more important than your job but obviously it's a personal decision. I recommend giving them a shot, doesn't work for everyone though.
    Last edited by InPraiseOfIdleness; 19th March 2018 at 02:12 PM.

Do you reckon you could / should take a bit of time off work? If it's adding to your stress... maybe take a week off sick to rest up a bit?

Maybe, I thought about it but I prefer to keep a routine and to practice being out and about than stuck inside in my own head all day.

To be honest I'm probably making it sound worse than it is... While I'm a bit useless I'm not exactly distressed about it because of the apathy I think the meds induced. It's still not very nice though.

And I also don't want to end up feeling like a victim of something so I'm just trying to keep doing my thing even if I don't want to.

More than anything these last 2 or 3 days have been interesting, my inner scientist is constantly thinking about what's I'm thinking, and I've read loads about how the brain and medicine works, which is really interesting and I find it helps to rationalise things.

Hopefully I don't sound like a little bitch, I'm hoping why I'm writing is interesting and informative to people rather than just being about me ha. Don't want this thread to be construed as a cry for help because it's absolutely not... that would just be annoying. I think it's an interesting topic and if it helps other people to talk about shit then it'll hopefully do some good
    Last edited by InPraiseOfIdleness; 19th March 2018 at 03:34 PM.

Thread Information