Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The mental health thread.

Mini Goon

Default Re: The mental health thread.

Just wondering if you find the medications helpful. What did your gp say about your condition? Did he/she suggest meeting up soon to discuss how you're experiencing the medication? Maybe there are groups or one-to-one sessions where you could talk about your anxiety and how you are managing it. It could be helpful to feel that you have support so you don't feel like you're managing it on your own. Sorry if what I've said sounds unhelpful or a bit ignorant. I have never taken anti-depressant medication so I don't know how it affects people and what the procedure is with follow up appointments and the length of time you take it for.
    Last edited by SotonJon; 19th March 2018 at 03:52 PM.

Yeah I have a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks to see how I get on with it. he also showed me how I can refer myself to a local service in my area where I can get therapy etc. Haven't done it yet but I think I will soon because I've seen how much better it gets when you talk about it.

As far as the medicine is concerned, I haven't noticed myself feeling much better mood wise but I'm not suicidal any more. I still think about it quite a lot, but I don't think about it as something I want to do any more. So that's something. I guess coming out of a traumatic experience you're bound to relive it or play out other scenarios in your head and I'm doing a lot of that. At least that's what I'm putting it down to.

I'm told with antidepressants you have to take them for a few weeks to a couple of months for then to actually bring you to a stable point. So I'm not there yet but the feeling of actually doing something, like "yes, cool I'm taking tablets which have been given to me by a doctor... I'm doing something about this." Is quite rewarding and gives me a little bit more confidence that things are going to get better, and I'm taking control.

If people would be interested, I can keep updating this thread with my experiences over the next few days if that would help.
    What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers.

Quote Originally Posted by InPraiseOfIdleness View Post
    Hopefully I don't sound like a little bitch, I'm hoping why I'm writing is interesting and informative to people rather than just being about me ha. Don't want this thread to be construed as a cry for help because it's absolutely not... that would just be annoying. I think it's an interesting topic and if it helps other people to talk about shit then it'll hopefully do some good
    Whoa whoa whoa,not at all, it's super interesting and it's helping me and I'm sure others too.

As for the tablets, it's the nausea and anxiety that I really don't want to deal with. I'm super anxious anyway, and feeling sick, even someone telling me they feel sick, puts me on major edge.
    He could smell the ganja and hear the pressure flips and it would do his head in.

Ah fair. For me the nausea isn't that bad, it hasn't made me want to throw up at all, just have kind of butterflies in my stomach. It's a bit unpleasant but if I keep busy I'm able to forget about it. I know people who get really badly affected by nausea though.

The headaches are worse, I think they're caused by grinding my teeth in my sleep
    Last edited by InPraiseOfIdleness; 19th March 2018 at 04:19 PM.
    What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers.

Mini Goon

I have had therapy sessions in the past and found that it really helps to discuss what's on your mind with someone else. (A problem shared is a problem halved etc) So I'd recommend giving the service a go. It might also help as a yardstick for how you manage with the anxiety and the medication you take- you might notice you feel in a certain way when you take a certain drug- and it may be helpful when you reach a point where you're ready to cut down on what you take so that you can do it in a controlled way if and when you feel ready. Cheers for sharing. All the best

I haven't commented yet because it just been a bit hectic but also I've found it quite comforting reading everyone's comments. I don't want that to sound like I'm cool listening to how other people are struggling - that's not what I mean... I think other's have said in a better way than I can, it's just good to talk.

I've felt loads of the feelings people have described one here.. esp IPOI - really glad to hear you're making some sense of it and doing positive things that are helping you feel better.

I've not really had any negative effects from Citalopram... I was tired when I started taking them years ago but I would say that was more to do with the actual depression rather than a side effect of the drugs.... I'm still on 30mg now and I don't feel any way like as tired as I did back in 2015/16 when I was mental.

One thing that I found hard, when talking about it, but even more when writing about it, is the language to use and whether I'm saying the right things. But, I'm kind of getting over that...I don't mean anything in a negative way, and everyone's experiences and ways of getting through depression/anxiety are different. I read 'Reasons To Stay Alive' by Matt Haig a few times... that one helped.

I painted my fence Camo - because it was a process... I could see the paint going on the fence and it was nice. At some points I couldn't even decide what to wear in the mornings (not like when my wife says that because she's got too many clothes to choose from!) ... the decision was just too much. Small decisions were an absolute bitch... I was so worried about making the wrong one I just buried my head in the sand.

Anyway, must go right now but will revisit this thread and prob post a bit more ...

Happy Monday evening everyone

Ultra King

it's been a long cold winter this year, a lot of people have had a hard time.
    life is not easy - from the humblest of weeds to the mightiest of trees, everything that lives has a job keeping shit together.
    for me, focussing on the vital stuff - eating decently, getting rest, stretching, making time for the important-in-my-life-humans - has been really beneficial. everything else will have to wait a bit

big love to everybody, especially those struggling

Quote Originally Posted by andy smoke View Post
    focussing on the vital stuff - eating decently, getting rest, stretching, making time for the important-in-my-life-humans - has been really beneficial.
    Wise words.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that theyĺre a part of it because thatĺs what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

▄bermensch

life is not easy - from the humblest of weeds to the mightiest of trees, everything that lives has a job keeping shit together.
    for me, focussing on the vital stuff - eating decently, getting rest, stretching, making time for the important-in-my-life-humans - has been really beneficial. everything else will have to wait a bit

Totally...

Has anyone ever read "I had a Black Dog"? I found it a super helpful first port of call...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Had-Black-D.../dp/1845295897

knucks

I think this is a problem I have, I just (like LA) bury my head in the sand and compound the issues.
    It's gonna get easier now there is more light in the evenings to get out and enjoy shit post work.

In other news, I took 1/2 a tablet last night as soon as I got in.
    I'm gonna do 10mg this week and then go to 20.
    I felt pretty restless and on edge all night, but slept ok despite it, and just feel a bit out of it today.
    So thanks everyone for the feelings of motivation and support.
    He could smell the ganja and hear the pressure flips and it would do his head in.

Quote Originally Posted by InPraiseOfIdleness View Post
    If people would be interested, I can keep updating this thread with my experiences over the next few days if that would help.
    Not suffering as much lately but, due to past experiences, I'm finding this thread really interesting and think all these comments could be a great help all round.

Your descriptions of the feelings of anxiety etc are spot on and something I wish I could have articulated when I was really suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by LA View Post
    I read 'Reasons To Stay Alive' by Matt Haig a few times... that one helped.
    +1 for this book.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Has anyone ever read "I had a Black Dog"? I found it a super helpful first port of call...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Had-Black-D.../dp/1845295897
    I'll add this to my wishlist for future reference - cheers.

Cheers everyone!!

Everyone good?

InPraiseOfIdleness - how's it going?

I'm alright. How are you?

I did 3 or 4 backside tailslides on a ledge last Sunday but didn't try a mofugga slide. I need a lower ledge to properly sit on a back tail and try that weird shove out. I'll do it at some point. Yeah yeah yeah.
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that theyĺre a part of it because thatĺs what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

Sounds great, well done! I'd love to get back into bs tailslides - next few weeks, I'm on it.

I have an ankle playing up again at the minute. Want to try and skate Friday Club tonight but its swollen and stiff.

come down! i need to learn back tails too maybe we can get there together
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Thread Information