Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: R.a.D. The book of the magazine

Default Re: R.a.D. The book of the magazine

Fuck, was hoping it would bit alot further along than that by now.
    It would be a travesty if this didn't pull off.
    Maybe another tac needs taking just in case.
    120k is ALOT to drum up in a month for something niche.
    Maybe their really isn't that many of us at the age that would be interested in the book left?
    What are the quantities earmarked for this? maybe a lower quantity? (of course the setup for printing is going to be the main factor of cost no so much the quantity)

I don't understand why people wouldn't just pledge £80. That's what it would cost, or thereabouts, and it's not like you need to even pay for it now. A lot of people seem to be taking this massive piece of work for granted, maybe expecting that somebody else will do it...

I think it's a case of not enough people who are interested in Rad (of an age) to make up the numbers. The people interested are stumping up cash but I doubt there would be many younger skaters pledging because they have no nostalgia for it.

Annoying that ATG is getting all the press, when that's just a load of photos everybody's already seen anyway. Hanging in a gallery...

For sure. I think they've highly over estimated the interest in this. I don't think many younger skaters will care about seeing a random photo of 'Johnny some kid' from Harrow in 1991. Most don't buy books, let alone £80 ones. They hardly take any of the piles of different free monthly mags these days.

Like said they should have done a Vol.1 then worked on Vol.2

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    I don't understand why people wouldn't just pledge £80. That's what it would cost, or thereabouts, and it's not like you need to even pay for it now. A lot of people seem to be taking this massive piece of work for granted, maybe expecting that somebody else will do it...
    do we have to want to buy this £80 book?
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    For sure. I think they've highly over estimated the interest in this. I don't think many younger skaters will care about seeing a random photo of 'Johnny some kid' from Harrow in 1991. Most don't buy books, let alone £80 ones. They hardly take any of the piles of different free monthly mags these days.

Like said they should have done a Vol.1 then worked on Vol.2
    I don't think it's aimed at younger kids. Look how many people follow @readanddestroy. And look how many people come out the woodwork when they get remined of something. Look at the comments on my Avi post from yesterday; those are the types of people who'll want this.

Ultra King

Didn't sign up because I never bought a copy of Rad when it was going.

Without 'Tim Card'ing it' too much, when I first started skating in the mid 90's, I only looked to the US for content as the general standard compared to over here was night and day (not like it is now). If I had enough money back then i'd buy Transworld as that was the best mag at that time, or i'd save up a couple of months to try and get a 411. Thrasher was wack to me back then as I only liked street footy at the time.
    It's a great project, but i can't warrant 80 quid on nostalgia, especially as i never bought a copy of rad in the first place.

I think it is worth remembering that this isn't actually just a book (or books), it is funding for essentially THE definitive visual library of the roots of skateboarding in the UK. You can give a fuck or not about the magazine, thats fine, but consider supporting the work that will go towards finally amalgamating and digitising the photographic history of the first and second (and third, to a degree) phases of the culture you live and breath. Once in a lifetime opportunity to achieve that and ultimately that is something that can be shared now and forever. Otherwise, it is stuff, in a box, in storage, forever.

For me, thinking about the project as just a book is a little like going to a gallery and bypassing the exhibition and artist talks and going straight to picking up the exhibition book in the shop. And then complaining that it is too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by monster network View Post
    I think it is worth remembering that this isn't actually just a book (or books), it is funding for essentially THE definitive visual library of the roots of skateboarding in the UK. You can give a fuck or not about the magazine, thats fine, but consider supporting the work that will go towards finally amalgamating and digitising the photographic history of the first and second (and third, to a degree) phases of the culture you live and breath. Once in a lifetime opportunity to achieve that and ultimately that is something that can be shared now and forever. Otherwise, it is stuff, in a box, in storage, forever.

For me, thinking about the project as just a book is a little like going to a gallery and bypassing the exhibition and artist talks and going straight to picking up the exhibition book in the shop. And then complaining that it is too expensive.

Nailed it. Would be a real shame if apathy held this up.

With things like scienceversuslife and readanddestory themselves, people are getting their nostalgia hits for free. That is not having a go at anyone. If wasn't them, it would be someone else.

£120,000 always seemed like a crazy amount of money to raise in a month. With the target audience. Is there no funding they could seek or get backing in some way? As a positive way to move forward.

It looks like they could make £50,000, is that really not enough to put out the books? I wouldn't know, so that is a genuine question.

Mini Goon

I've decided that I'm going to buy it anyway but thought Id get another 'two cents' in. It really is a lot of money to expect people to pay. Is there no way that this could get some more outside funding? Perhaps New Balance could help a little more, or another company?
    I'm the ideal target audience, skated for thirty years, never stopped and I still couldn't jump in with both feet to buy it(although have done so now ) out of the 30-40 skaters I new from the Rad era I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one buying it.

Is there really no other funding revenues, or potential avenues to reduce the cost?

The Rock climbing world did something (not exactly) similar a couple of years ago.
    https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/publ...peak_rock-6140
    It was again a labour of love, and probably my favourite book I own, but was it worth £80? Hard to say.
    I really think the Rad book is going to need some extra outside funding or be reduced to a single volume in the £35-£40 price range.

I really, really want this book but £80 is a lot of cash. Anyone sitting on the fence is unlikely to go anywhere near it at that price.

Ultra King

I pledged the £80 because I grew up skating and reading RAD during the early early 90s (possibly 80s). Like MN said this is more about British skateboarding heritage than just the mag. Fingers crossed it works out.
    Quote Originally Posted by frome_skater View Post
    I always thought it was called sidewalk becuase when you skate you walk sideways
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin
    I checked it and I chilled

Just had a quick look, I don’t think this has been shared on the Middle age shred site. You’d probably get more of the target demographic there.

Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Just had a quick look, I don’t think this has been shared on the Middle age shred site. You’d probably get more of the target demographic there.
    Damn, really? I'll post it now. Cheers.

edit: Forgot my log in details. Need to figure this out so I can star a thread unless anybody else wants to...
    Last edited by buildafire; 18th July 2018 at 10:33 AM.

Thread Information