Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewalk RIP?

Default Sidewalk RIP?

From instagram it seems the people who ran the mag do not work for Sidewalk any more so I presume it is dead.

I'm sure Anon will post about this but let's use this thread to remember how incredible Sidewalk is/was.

Big up Sidewalk mag and the incredible content they've given us for half of most our lives.

Wonder what will happen to the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Default Re: Sidewalk RIP?

Yeah Corpse Hands was let go and he was one of the main online guys. People have been asking what has happened to Mpora too.

It doesn’t look good for N26, if rumours are true. I’m sure Anon will let us know.

Übermensch ihatethegeneralpublic's Avatar

Some strong words there!

I know this has been talked about on here before but I would love to know more about its drawn out demise.

Übermensch

Hugely sad. For so long it was the best shit out.

Damn I might not make it to 5000 posts
    ◕‿◕

Ultra King

damn

thank you to all the Sidewalk crew past and present for keeping the stoke alive

Ultra King

Thanks Sidewalk staff for all the great issues and for promoting UK skating. Best of luck to all the people that made that happen over the years.

Yeah, big up all the people who made Sidewalk happen. Even in its later years, it was a great resource for UK skating.

It's so fucking sad man.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Gutted. Massive thanks to all the Sidewalk people, past and present. They created a brilliant mag, full of a very British view of skateboarding - cobbles, correct terminology & sardonic wit. Good luck to a lovely bunch of humans!

Imagine the state of UK skateboarding if Sidewalk has never existed.

I said something similar to this when the print version closed, but other than just skateboarding, the guys writing for Sidewalk taught me about, among other things, black metal, hip-hop, Basque Country terrorist organisations, Brass Eye, obscure folk comedians, politics, fashion, history and lots of other nonsense. Things I probably wouldn’t have come across as a 13-17 year old.
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Mini Goon

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    Imagine the state of UK skateboarding if Sidewalk has never existed.

I said something similar to this when the print version closed, but other than just skateboarding, the guys writing for Sidewalk taught me about, among other things, black metal, hip-hop, Basque Country terrorist organisations, Brass Eye, obscure folk comedians, politics, fashion, history and lots of other nonsense. Things I probably wouldn’t have come across as a 13-17 year old.
    The black metal part was me, sorry! Glad to have helped though. Which is what Sidewalk did for all of us - never did we imagine that the successor for RAD mag would outshine it historically with more of everything that we needed. It truly bridged the gap from the print-only days up to now and the social-only days. Sidewalk made us literate in new types of communication for skateboarding in the UK and even though I probably hold the record for belonging to this forum for the longest time with the least amount of posts (verifiable?) I lurked here hard to see what everyone thought of everything and I could see that it helped shape the scene we have today.

Thanks x 100000000 for all the great work Ben, Andy, Chris, Wig, Leo, Rye, CJ and every artist, designer, writer and even Habgood for the combined effort in creating a great sense of community throughout the existence of Sidewalk.

I've had too much Whiskey. Love to all.

Even though I have barely looked at physical skate media in years and let my sidewalk subs run out towards the end because I never got around to reading it properly (not because of the mag it was me falling out of love with skating in general, my physical issues etc) I feel Sidewalk was the best and most important thing in UK skateboarding in it's era. Since it went out of print skateboarding has been lost, it's like the UK's meeting spot was demolished.
    I couldn't have imagined the mag done any better by anyone else. Ben/Horsley and everyone else did the best job anyone ever could. The mag dripped with their personality, the sarcy humour was a highlight, never took itself seriously but while still being ultimately professional. I don't think Document or Kingpin ever achieved this as well as Sidewalk and that's not to degrade those mags either, they were good but for my taste it was always Sidewalk. They always had quality content but weren't exclusive, everyone had a chance of print fame (although we never got around to finishing my working class hero ha!) and even though there may have been certain ommisions it never felt cliquey.
    Thanks Sidewalk! you are far too modest to think you were an influence on skateboarding but you fucking were, everyone worshipped the mag because it was an aim for all skateboarders and a full glossary of what skateboarding is/was in the UK (and more)

Pretty sad feeling.

Thread Information