Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewalk RIP?

Übermensch

Default Re: Sidewalk RIP?

Sorry to hear this

I'm in the first stage of bereavement. I got brutally fired for posting on here too much at one point but don't regret it. That's 20,000 posts of my life well spent as far as I'm concerned.

I grew up skating in West Wales with no Internet. Sidewalk Surfer taught me everything I know about skateboarding. Literally everything. Trick names. History. Who was legit. All of it.

Waiting to get the newest issue was like a mini christmas morning every month or two.

I guess it was going to have to come to an end one day but it's still a gut punch. RIP sidewalk

It's been sick getting to know all of your usernames over these last 15 years. I'm really going to miss you all.

I wonder how long it will take before I unwire my brain to not open the forum when I open my Web browser.

All the best and good luck for everything in the future Anon. Will you finally reveal who you are now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Unnamed skateboard companies, patios, Alan Shearer, Ric Flair, Palace, patios again, Scrooge McDuck, Jimmy Saville and a Jack the Ripper conspiracy, proper use of apostrophes, Stu Forder, anon's short Mills & Boon writing career, Rye wanking in a cupboard, repressed freestylers and finally Les Zeppelin's short intro to a romance novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Zeppelin View Post

I grew up skating in West Wales with no Internet. Sidewalk Surfer taught me everything I know about skateboarding. Literally everything. Trick names. History. Who was legit. All of it.
    Think that applies for so many people too post rad/ pre tinternet, and used my preffered name for it. Hopefully we'll find out more as it unravvels like the shit butty of a situation it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by telmernatorx View Post
    my balls were tingling for beiber.

www.hauntingskateboards.co.uk

nuair a imbhuaileann dhá blackberrys

So sorry to hear this.

Can't say anything different to what's already been posted but best wishes to all involved and hope you have/will move on to positive pastures new.

<3
    What a ridiculous clusterfuck of totally uncool jokers.

Will the forum be affected then? Surely there’s some way of transferring it?
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    Will the forum be affected then? Surely there’s some way of transferring it?
    Remember yonks ago moving a forum to another host and it was pretty much a case of finding/replacing the host info from within the database

Having said that, it wasn't anywhere near as big a beast as this, so not sure if there are any other issues.

this is a fucking gut punch, i mean i haven't skated in the last 4 years due to injuries catching up with me and grown up life taking over, but mainly the injuries. but fuck. even into my mid thirties sidewalk was my mag of choice, always legit, always pushing it. the big push was a Christmas like event for me every year. waiting for the edits, dvds, etc as technology progressed.

and this place too, this place for me is a daily occurrence, only made possible by the mag and the rad people it attracted. ive made some amazing virtual friends here, better than some people i know in actual life and never met any of you. all made possible through sidewalk. my self and others have gone through life defining moments here, proper personal, deep emotional stuff. this place is as real life as it gets sometimes. amazing what a community the mag has created, hilarious posts as well as stop in your tracks real as fuck heart breaking shit.

i dont imagine there are to many magazines that have had that impact on peoples lives the way this forum has.

sometimes things move on through technological advances or whatever but the mag and the forum really did for me encapsulate a certain period of time, pre-internet, the crossover period in N26 day and this last 4/5 years as things moved on.

people came and went but the core of people still posted here, even as skating itself like anything got lost in the whatever of real life.

i hope there is away we can keep what sidewalk ultimately created here, a tiny little corner of internet where a few like minded souls can shoot the shit and fall out then make up over unimportant and sometimes important things alive.

*drunk as fuck and genuinely gutted*
    Last edited by telmernatorx; 1 Week Ago at 11:17 PM.

Absolutely gutted for all involved. Thank you for everything x

Übermensch

This is not the news I wanted to hear. Printed media seems to be very much on the way out.

As for the forum, I might be able to help if the owners are looking to get rid. I'll think something up and make a post tomorrow maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by andyo View Post
    This is not the news I wanted to hear. Printed media seems to be very much on the way out.

As for the forum, I might be able to help if the owners are looking to get rid. I'll think something up and make a post tomorrow maybe.
    Sick, can we call it N26 again? Haha
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Ultra King

Long live the forum!!

Mini Goon

Sad to hear this news. Sidewalk was my introduction to skateboarding when I was buying shop completes not knowing the nose from the tail. Can't thank everyone involved in the magazine enough for what it gave me as a young kid. I wouldn't have known about skaters, music,videos, films, tricks and spots from anywhere else. It was a gateway to an original subculture that I felt privileged to know when other things felt homogenised. Even now the forum feels like an antidote to crass social networking sites, like a time-capsule from another more inclusive era. I hope it can keep going in some form.

This is the only part of the internet where I actually made friends.

I wonder if there's a way to collate everyone's email addresses privately so we can share a plan to back it up if anything happens.

The forum must live on.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Thread Information