Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum future ideas

Übermensch

Default Forum future ideas

- snipped for now
    Last edited by andyo; 1 Week Ago at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: Forum future ideas

what is your plan great master?!

i will be so pissed if this place suddenly vanishes overnight. i wonder how much it would cost to transfer and host it somewhere else if needed, i'd happily contribute. someone needs to be asking these questions to the right people though and fast, i could imagine it just disappearing without warning
    Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    He is amazing, but aesthetically that hair is not pleasing to me.

Übermensch

I have infra set aside for hosting, but there are more issues to contend with than I'm really aware of. I realised it might be a better idea to hold off until we know more before I make an offer.

Pretty sure most regular posters would be happy to chip in for hosting costs etc if needed. I’ve been posting here for 7 years or so but lurked a good few years before that, it’s be weird for that to stop just because some finance people have said this tiny part of the internet isn’t viable anymore.
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Übermensch

Hosting won't cost me anything, it'll be on a machine that is already part of our infra.

As a media company, I can't imagine that Factory would willingly cede control of the content of this forum to someone else.

Even if nothing else, this place could be a gold mine of long tail SEO content, so they're more likely to spend time trying to monetise it than turning it off.

Übermensch

What nav said. I had a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to a significant part of this community being lost, but I don't think that will happen with any immediacy. With that said, I'm keeping some machine space set aside, and waiting patiently for now.

This forum (or whatever form it exists as in the future) needs some kind of update to bring it up to date. Not being mobile friendly is a joke. I can only imagine view counts and participation nosediving over the past 5-10 years. Except for the hardcore members present, obvs. I was thinking along the lines of Slack/Discord/Reddit but as nav said, hosting it on an external platform is probably not a sensible option for monetising it.
    Get down with your bad self
    skateboardrumours.co.uk

Steve Binks 1975-2011. RIP.

Übermensch

Let's just start a whatsapp chat group.

It'll be carnage.

Hahaha!
    "There are people in skateboarding whose views and backgrounds differ from mine, but I appreciate that they’re a part of it because that’s what keeps skating so diverse and not just some homogenized bullshit. More opinions, more girls, more homosexuality, more global representation." Ryan Lay

A virtual skatepark bench

Übermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Not being mobile friendly is a joke...
    That's an unfortunate side effect to running on vBulletin. There are options, mind you, such as tapatalk plugins, but as for compatibility... I'm not so sure. Best option, imo, is to downgrade vBulletin to a compatible version and migrate to phpBB. That will fix all the flash problems, too.

The tapatalk plugins used to work quite well iirc. Except when the forum was updated it spannered everything (which was fairly often).
    skateboardrumours.co.uk

https://www.bikebiz.com/business/fac...dia-liquidated

Horse posted this on FB. Looks like it's going to be liquidated. Now how the hell are we going to get access serverside so we can save this forum??
    skateboardrumours.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    This forum (or whatever form it exists as in the future) needs some kind of update to bring it up to date. Not being mobile friendly is a joke. I can only imagine view counts and participation nosediving over the past 5-10 years. Except for the hardcore members present, obvs. I was thinking along the lines of Slack/Discord/Reddit but as nav said, hosting it on an external platform is probably not a sensible option for monetising it.
    I guess a problem with this, however, might be that if we were to migrate to Slack or Discord (which I'd prefer not to, but that's another topic), is that there's a delicate balance between the demand for change of platform in order to appeal to newer users of a different generation, and its new incarnation being so 'hidden' away such that nobody new will find it anyway/no longer being appealing to the existing users who like it for what it currently is.

As in, currently, any new users who do arrive here, do so, presumably, through their wider interest in seeing what's happening in Sidewalk, British skateboarding or through associated SEO. Their curiosity might bring them here and they might choose to participate. If Sidewalk is dead, and people are no longer searching for it, how are we going to attract any new users as presumably we can't use the same name, and if it's held on a platform like Slack, how would anyone find us in the first place in the same way they did previously? Under what circumstances would a new user find us?

Basically, is there a viable effort to appeal to new users? Also, is a skate forum in and itself something that just isn't really appealing to younger people who've not otherwise grown up with something like this?

Should we all just pack it in anyway and move to MAS?

Thread Information