Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hop King

Default Re: Hop King

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryconroy View Post
    Last night I was chatting to a mate about how I felt uncomfortable with the amount of online bullying Decunha gets but that said, lets open the flood gates. Hop King sponsor Decunha, which speaks volumes about them and what how they're attempting to enter the skateboarding market.
    wasn't there a clip of him pretending to drink the beer?
    as in fact, he doesn't drink.

I'd rather be sponsored by Hop King than Monster any day!

Goon

Wura is legit. And as baremerk says, better to be sponsored by someone brewing beer than an energy drink company.

Quote Originally Posted by gregoryconroy View Post
    Let's let Guy and Reece get free beer and promote the UK scene in peace.
    I don't think Hop King advertise in Vague.
    Obviously the photos are amazing, but sometimes the articles are barely comprehensible. You shouldn't have to read something twice, in a different accent, to understand it.

I'm sure I only know what Hop King is because of Vague, either an ad or an article.

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Obviously the photos are amazing, but sometimes the articles are barely comprehensible. You shouldn't have to read something twice, in a different accent, to understand it.

I'm sure I only know what Hop King is because of Vague, either an ad or an article.
    This suggests you are probably the only person in the country who reads the articles.

I like Vague but in the latest issue there are TWO beer collab articles.
    ...kiss me with apocalypse.

Ultra King

From what I can see on their Insta, Vague have nothing to do with this company. They've done stuff with North Brewing Co, Northern Monk and a few other northern breweries by the look of it.

Yeah, I'm not sure Vague would go anywhere near Hop King. The brand reeks and the people who do Vague seem to have a pretty good wack detector.

Also, Hop King is the British equivalent of being sponsored by Monster - you have to whore yourself out on social media if you want to ride for them.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by deegwaad View Post
    I like Vague but in the latest issue there are TWO beer collab articles.
    So what? If it means 10 odd pages are taken up by beer articles but we get a skater owned and ran physical magazine for free every few months which is pretty much all skating does it really matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    So what? If it means 10 odd pages are taken up by beer articles but we get a skater owned and ran physical magazine for free every few months which is pretty much all skating does it really matter?
    I'm talking from personal preference. I'm just not that interested in beer articles.
    ...kiss me with apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Have you ever seen an issue of Vague? It's got a really small amount of skate coverage. This current issue is that NB trip to Mallorca, an Amy Ram interview that's only got three photos, another basic Skate Kitchen article and an interview with a couple of mates (I think - the into doesn't make a lot of sense).

Then there's two big beer interviews, the art gallery and a made up interview with some toy lizards. Ads aside, it feels like it's about half skate content.

▄bermensch

There are a few different mags now and although their primary interest is skateboarding, I think Guy and Reece wanted to expand into different areas like the breweries, art galleries etc. I doubt that there are many skate mags that are available for free in beer/coffee shops etc. It's opening up skaters to those different worlds and vice versa. Obviously for us, the skateboarding content is the best shit, but there are other 'genres' of people who are interested in the mag.

It's like some free studenty beer mag with trendy adverts. Document's +1 was good, and not JUST hipster beer, toy lizards and skateboarding either.
    I think my main problem with is that non-skate people will be absolutely baffled by the copy.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Have you ever seen an issue of Vague? It's got a really small amount of skate coverage. This current issue is that NB trip to Mallorca, an Amy Ram interview that's only got three photos, another basic Skate Kitchen article and an interview with a couple of mates (I think - the into doesn't make a lot of sense).

Then there's two big beer interviews, the art gallery and a made up interview with some toy lizards. Ads aside, it feels like it's about half skate content.
    Yeah seen them all. Granted this issue is a little light on skate content so a bad example but all magazines have slow issues. There were definitely plenty of dead issues of Sidewalk filled with comp articles and the like

Like SH said they have to branch out and I'm sure it's partly down to their own interests and partly due to necessity. Beer articles aren't really my thing so chose to skip them but still feel there is more than enough skate content in past issues to make it relevant and interesting. Not to mention it is a relatively new magazine (only about a year I think) so of course they are finding their feet.

I'm amazed that anyone chooses to criticise Vague, it is a free physical skateboard centred magazine which in this day and age is such a rare thing that we so desperately need within UK skateboarding. Also I feel it provides an editorial voice more akin to the OG Sidewalk, not afraid to take themselves too seriously. I love Grey and North and am not knocking them at all as they provide a different outlook but there is no denying their interview approach is far more reserved and serious with little actual character.

Also why do you give a shit if it leaves non skate people baffled?

Didn’t it win skate mag of the year, after only two issues at the Euro awards? That’s alway left me a bit wary for some reason. Are they just using skating till their real interests pan out? I like reading about different things in skate mags, I only read Playboy for the articles and all that, but there is only so much I can care about a new micro/craft beer company every issue.

Thread Information