Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hop King

▄bermensch

Default Re: Hop King

The thing I find great about Vague is exactly what I always loved about Sidewalk. They try and cover skateboarding from all parts of the UK. Yeah, they focus on some London stuff now and again, but they try and include shit from everywhere. London isn’t UK skateboarding as much as it feels like it is in 2018.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
    Didn’t it win skate mag of the year, after only two issues at the Euro awards? That’s alway left me a bit wary for some reason.
    Nah they didn’t win.

▄bermensch

Didn’t it win skate mag of the year, after only two issues at the Euro awards? That’s alway left me a bit wary for some reason. Are they just using skating till their real interests pan out? I like reading about different things in skate mags, I only read Playboy for the articles and all that, but there is only so much I can care about a new micro/craft beer company every issue.
    I don't know Guy & Reece but from what I gather they are skateboarders to the very core, I think you can safely say skateboarding will always be the focus but can also use the magazine to branch out and explore a few others things. No way are the skating articles slowly going to peter out in favour of craft brewing.

I see the craft brewing thing are another interest of theirs but also a way to actually fund the magazine by having it open to craft beer companies paying for ad space and boosting circulation by having it not just in skate shops which in turn helps draw in more advertising revenue to keep the thing going. I'm baffled that people aren't 100% backing Vague

No idea what you're on about with that mag of the year thing

They didn’t win it, sorry, but were up for it. Bright Euro skate awards.

winning an award after 2 issues should be the opposite of making you wary, surely it would make you take notice?
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Quote Originally Posted by hugo View Post
    winning an award after 2 issues should be the opposite of making you wary, surely it would make you take notice?
    It didn't win. And with the shoe money floating around it all seemed a bit suspicious.

Both the beer articles in the current issue seem to be about their own beer collaborations. Two massive ads for what is basically somebody else's product. Of course they'll ditch the skating if they can move into that world. It doesn't look like they're exactly overwhelmed with skate content, what with running the same photos three times and yeah, a nonsensical 'interview' with toys or something.

It's far and away the most localised mag out, and probably has to be read in Scouse to make sense. It still reads like an in-joke between mates.

"Yeah Newbird not those one's fat Joe put in 20 years too late." Eh?

"Reading meets Tokyo, well an aspect meets a bigger aspect, and it's a beautiful combo, you know when a meal turns out better than expected but has quite different components which only end up complimenting each other." Pardon?

"Mackey arranged a trip to Mallorca with some of the finest New Balance representatives the same weekend Creamfields was on, minimising any Merseyside warriors of being free and not getting off their noggin on disco biscuits" What does this even mean? They're not taking any pills in Mallorca because Creamfields is on back home in Liverpool? Minimising them of being free (?!) surely means they were busy? But they can't have been because they went on a New Balance trip. Or something.

If this is a non-skater's introduction to skate media, it might be slightly off-putting. Not that it compares to Solo, Grey, Free st al., but it's literally difficult to read.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    It didn't win. And with the shoe money floating around it all seemed a bit suspicious.

Both the beer articles in the current issue seem to be about their own beer collaborations. Two massive ads for what is basically somebody else's product. Of course they'll ditch the skating if they can move into that world. It doesn't look like they're exactly overwhelmed with skate content, what with running the same photos three times and yeah, a nonsensical 'interview' with toys or something.

It's far and away the most localised mag out, and probably has to be read in Scouse to make sense. It still reads like an in-joke between mates.

"Yeah Newbird not those one's fat Joe put in 20 years too late." Eh?

"Reading meets Tokyo, well an aspect meets a bigger aspect, and it's a beautiful combo, you know when a meal turns out better than expected but has quite different components which only end up complimenting each other." Pardon?

"Mackey arranged a trip to Mallorca with some of the finest New Balance representatives the same weekend Creamfields was on, minimising any Merseyside warriors of being free and not getting off their noggin on disco biscuits" What does this even mean? They're not taking any pills in Mallorca because Creamfields is on back home in Liverpool? Minimising them of being free (?!) surely means they were busy? But they can't have been because they went on a New Balance trip. Or something.

If this is a non-skater's introduction to skate media, it might be slightly off-putting. Not that it compares to Solo, Grey, Free st al., but it's literally difficult to read.
    Yeah maybe it does read a little odd/ poorly in parts but wouldn't use that as a reason to totally knock it. I don't get why you're so concerned with what some craft ale drinking bearded bloke who picks up at his local tap room thinks about skating as well.

As I said before latest issue isn't the best example and it did have a bit of filler but so do all mags, I'd hazard a guess that if it wasn't for 15 page long indoor park comp articles we wouldn't have gotten some issues of Sidewalk. As for being localised looking back the past issues I don't see any scene bias at all. If you're referring to the editorial voice you could just as easily have thrown that criticism at Sidewalk, having grown up in the south I would read the issues and feel as though a lot of the in jokes/ dialect was lost on me but could still get the jist of things and find it funny. This is always going to be the case when you take a more personal tone to the magazine which is much needed. Free definitely manage to find a personal voice in interviews but that is usually because they have a much wider range of people conducting them and often they are the subjects friend. Grey, North etc. it feels like a robot is doing the interview sometimes, they are good magazines with solid content but think Vague is going for something slightly different.

As for the beer collab interviews pushing product that is just the state of print media in 2018, thought you'd understand that more than anyone. They have to compromise a bit to actually get the thing made. Not to mention it is providing a platform for smaller visual artists as well.

As for them ditching the skating to move into world that is complete bollocks, I'm sure someone who knows them (skateharrogate?) could confirm I'd imagine they'd sooner kill the mag than have it not predominately skate focused.

▄bermensch

Running the same photos three time? Wait.....what?!?!?!

There is no way Guy and Reece are ditching the skateboarding side of this mag to move into the world of breweries. I guarantee that. Weird that you think they'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post
    Running the same photos three time? Wait.....what?!?!?!

There is no way Guy and Reece are ditching the skateboarding side of this mag to move into the world of breweries. I guarantee that. Weird that you think they'd do that.
    This issue reads like What's Brewing, except done by kids. Two advertorial pieces about beers they're involved in...

Guessing you haven't seen the new issue. Two photos of Amy Ram get run three times. At first it looks like sequences, but nope. Just the same photo next to itself.

Anybody going to explain the interview with the toy lizard? That seems like the biggest in-joke ever.

Slap seem to enjoy the US interviews in North, so that's the main thing for me.

▄bermensch

This issue reads like What's Brewing, except done by kids. Two advertorial pieces about beers they're involved in...

Guessing you haven't seen the new issue. Two photos of Amy Ram get run three times. At first it looks like sequences, but nope. Just the same photo next to itself.

Anybody going to explain the interview with the toy lizard? That seems like the biggest in-joke ever.

Slap seem to enjoy the US interviews in North, so that's the main thing for me.
    Yeah lizard thing was pretty stupid won't deny that but feels like you're being really nit picky (I should know I'm the biggest nit picker going) about a few little things in the last issue rather than taking a step back and seeing how rad it is that two young guys have managed to make a UK focused print skate mag with some humour to it.

The advertorial thing is just part and parcel of being in printed media and I wouldn't let that take away from my enjoyment of reading the magazine.
    Last edited by Haven_Hamilton; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:14 PM.

Can't really tell what's humour, but I'm well stoked to see Reece photos in print.

Guessing you haven't seen the new issue. Two photos of Amy Ram get run three times. At first it looks like sequences, but nope.
    Just looks like an amateurish way to fill a landscape space with a portrait photo.

▄bermensch

Oh right. Sounds more about the layout and design than running the photo multiple times. Thought you'd meant there had been a mistake or something haha.

You should do some interviews for them Build...

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by skateharrogate View Post

You should do some interviews for them Build...
    Maybe that's why build is so salty, he feels left out

Just looks like an amateurish way to fill a landscape space with a portrait photo.
    Totally.

And Haven, you're completely wrong again. Absolutely nothing like that. Got too much on as it is and I definitely didn't even think about that. I'm in CAMRA for the discount, but I know fuck all about all these weird trendy beers.

Thread Information