Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Parade World?

Default Re: Parade World?

Quote Originally Posted by Load View Post
    but at the same time, I don't have a list of all the SOS's in the country, and if I'm looking for a cheap pair of shoes it gets tiring going through 10 sites of dross and checking size availability and all that. Having a central single-search application would be useful for that.
    Needs a Nazi filter too.

yeah and a vape/skate/legal high hybrid shop filter too

▄bermensch

Shouldnt the Distros been the filter for where to get "ethically sourced" skate gear?

▄bermensch

Distros don't give a fuck, they'll sell to anyone who has the cash

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Some 'marketplace' with trendy design isn't enough to make people part with more money.
    Surely it is all in the SEO, placed ads, etc.
    I mean, if they can get to the top of the pile in the same way Amazon does for any product you search for, then they become first stop.
    I guess one target is to take custom away from Skate Hut, Skate Warehouse, Surfdome, Internet Fusion, Freestyle Extreme, etc. because those businesses are fucking massive. If it redirects some of that cash to scene supporters like Welcome, Ideal, Slam, Lost Art, etc. then that is a good thing.

This will either disappear completely or be absolutely massive, I reckon.

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    I mean, if they can get to the top of the pile in the same way Amazon does for any product you search for, then they become first stop.
    I said pretty exactly what you just said in further post, I agree

Though that strategy will be expensive as fuck and unless there are some big backers behind this (if they are they are very secret) it will be very hard to compete with Route One, Skate Hut etc. who basically rely on being top search for stuff like 'skate shop' etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    I guess one target is to take custom away from Skate Hut, Skate Warehouse, Surfdome, Internet Fusion, Freestyle Extreme, etc. because those businesses are fucking massive. If it redirects some of that cash to scene supporters like Welcome, Ideal, Slam, Lost Art, etc. then that is a good thing.

This will either disappear completely or be absolutely massive, I reckon.
    How can you pay more for advertising and promotion on a channel that has a higher cost of sale? It makes absolutely no sense.

Assuming Skate Hut make more profit per sale than an independent small shop already they have more room to spend on marketing.

You basically take your profit and work backwards from there to calculate marketing budget. You can't take a less profitable channel and make it more profitable by spending more. It doesn't work, your cost of sale goes up and you end up with less profit.

Initiate

A distro had this idea a good few years ago, don't think it ever happened

▄bermensch

Quote Originally Posted by Conway Twitty's BMX View Post
    You can't take a less profitable channel and make it more profitable by spending more. It doesn't work, your cost of sale goes up and you end up with less profit.
    But what if they have some form of financial backing from the get go? Only way I could see it working, spend a lot on marketing from the get go and raise the brand awareness which will hopefully lead to increased profit further down the line. Surely any new business coming into the market is going to have to operate at a smaller profit margin at the start to compete?

But what if they have some form of financial backing from the get go? Only way I could see it working, spend a lot on marketing from the get go and raise the brand awareness which will hopefully lead to increased profit further down the line. Surely any new business coming into the market is going to have to operate at a smaller profit margin at the start to compete?
    You miss the point - even if they get backing it will always cost them more to sell a product than it will cost their competitors. They are adding extra cost to the sales funnel, and driving the sales through a less profitable channel.

The end result should be that their competitors will ALWAYS be able to outspend them because they have a lower cost of sale.

The only way they could be successful is by effectively lobbying skateboarders to support core/independent shops. There is no way on a pure commercial level they could beat them.

Having said that, it's not a bad idea assuming they just try and create even more awareness of the fact that every pound you spend is a vote for the world you want to live in! It's just not a great business idea per se.

▄bermensch

it will always cost them more to sell a product than it will cost their competitors.
    Yeah, short term but not always. It can even itself out in the long term, especially if they are taking profit/sales away from these other retailers

Yeah, short term but not always. It can even itself out in the long term, especially if they are taking profit/sales away from these other retailers
    Hmm...we should do the maths here for the definitive answer.

Cost of running multiple small skate shops in high street locations up and down the country, managing multiple accounts with distributors, employing multiple managers and staff and using a third party service to market products and acquire sales vs running a massive online store from a warehouse.

Hmm...

▄bermensch

Hmm...we should do the maths here for the definitive answer.

Cost of running multiple small skate shops in high street locations up and down the country, managing multiple accounts with distributors, employing multiple managers and staff and using a third party service to market products and acquire sales vs running a massive online store from a warehouse.

Hmm...
    Think we're thinking on different terms here, I was referring to Parade itself being a successful and recognised platform. Wasn't taking into account the skate shops operations as well, just Parade becoming a go to site

Thread Information