Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 63

Thread: Parade World?

  1. #16

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Load View Post
    but at the same time, I don't have a list of all the SOS's in the country, and if I'm looking for a cheap pair of shoes it gets tiring going through 10 sites of dross and checking size availability and all that. Having a central single-search application would be useful for that.
    Needs a Nazi filter too.

  2. #17
    Ultra King Load's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    /\_/»»»»\_/\
    Posts
    5,558

    Default Re: Parade World?

    yeah and a vape/skate/legal high hybrid shop filter too

  3. #18
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Newbury, Berkshire
    Posts
    1,538

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Shouldnt the Distros been the filter for where to get "ethically sourced" skate gear?

  4. #19
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,387

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Distros don't give a fuck, they'll sell to anyone who has the cash

  5. #20
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,099

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Some 'marketplace' with trendy design isn't enough to make people part with more money.
    Surely it is all in the SEO, placed ads, etc.
    I mean, if they can get to the top of the pile in the same way Amazon does for any product you search for, then they become first stop.
    I guess one target is to take custom away from Skate Hut, Skate Warehouse, Surfdome, Internet Fusion, Freestyle Extreme, etc. because those businesses are fucking massive. If it redirects some of that cash to scene supporters like Welcome, Ideal, Slam, Lost Art, etc. then that is a good thing.

    This will either disappear completely or be absolutely massive, I reckon.

  6. #21
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,387

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Surely it is all in the SEO, placed ads, etc.
    I mean, if they can get to the top of the pile in the same way Amazon does for any product you search for, then they become first stop.
    I said pretty exactly what you just said in further post, I agree

    Though that strategy will be expensive as fuck and unless there are some big backers behind this (if they are they are very secret) it will be very hard to compete with Route One, Skate Hut etc. who basically rely on being top search for stuff like 'skate shop' etc.

  7. #22

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonSkater View Post
    Surely it is all in the SEO, placed ads, etc.
    I mean, if they can get to the top of the pile in the same way Amazon does for any product you search for, then they become first stop.
    I guess one target is to take custom away from Skate Hut, Skate Warehouse, Surfdome, Internet Fusion, Freestyle Extreme, etc. because those businesses are fucking massive. If it redirects some of that cash to scene supporters like Welcome, Ideal, Slam, Lost Art, etc. then that is a good thing.

    This will either disappear completely or be absolutely massive, I reckon.
    How can you pay more for advertising and promotion on a channel that has a higher cost of sale? It makes absolutely no sense.

    Assuming Skate Hut make more profit per sale than an independent small shop already they have more room to spend on marketing.

    You basically take your profit and work backwards from there to calculate marketing budget. You can't take a less profitable channel and make it more profitable by spending more. It doesn't work, your cost of sale goes up and you end up with less profit.

  8. #23
    Initiate
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Parade World?

    A distro had this idea a good few years ago, don't think it ever happened

  9. #24
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,387

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conway Twitty's BMX View Post
    You can't take a less profitable channel and make it more profitable by spending more. It doesn't work, your cost of sale goes up and you end up with less profit.
    But what if they have some form of financial backing from the get go? Only way I could see it working, spend a lot on marketing from the get go and raise the brand awareness which will hopefully lead to increased profit further down the line. Surely any new business coming into the market is going to have to operate at a smaller profit margin at the start to compete?

  10. #25

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    But what if they have some form of financial backing from the get go? Only way I could see it working, spend a lot on marketing from the get go and raise the brand awareness which will hopefully lead to increased profit further down the line. Surely any new business coming into the market is going to have to operate at a smaller profit margin at the start to compete?
    You miss the point - even if they get backing it will always cost them more to sell a product than it will cost their competitors. They are adding extra cost to the sales funnel, and driving the sales through a less profitable channel.

    The end result should be that their competitors will ALWAYS be able to outspend them because they have a lower cost of sale.

  11. #26

    Default Re: Parade World?

    The only way they could be successful is by effectively lobbying skateboarders to support core/independent shops. There is no way on a pure commercial level they could beat them.

  12. #27

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Having said that, it's not a bad idea assuming they just try and create even more awareness of the fact that every pound you spend is a vote for the world you want to live in! It's just not a great business idea per se.

  13. #28
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,387

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conway Twitty's BMX View Post
    it will always cost them more to sell a product than it will cost their competitors.
    Yeah, short term but not always. It can even itself out in the long term, especially if they are taking profit/sales away from these other retailers

  14. #29

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Haven_Hamilton View Post
    Yeah, short term but not always. It can even itself out in the long term, especially if they are taking profit/sales away from these other retailers
    Hmm...we should do the maths here for the definitive answer.

    Cost of running multiple small skate shops in high street locations up and down the country, managing multiple accounts with distributors, employing multiple managers and staff and using a third party service to market products and acquire sales vs running a massive online store from a warehouse.

    Hmm...

  15. #30
    ▄bermensch
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,387

    Default Re: Parade World?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conway Twitty's BMX View Post
    Hmm...we should do the maths here for the definitive answer.

    Cost of running multiple small skate shops in high street locations up and down the country, managing multiple accounts with distributors, employing multiple managers and staff and using a third party service to market products and acquire sales vs running a massive online store from a warehouse.

    Hmm...
    Think we're thinking on different terms here, I was referring to Parade itself being a successful and recognised platform. Wasn't taking into account the skate shops operations as well, just Parade becoming a go to site

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. [World War Dub]
    By kayleigh in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 13th July 2015, 04:51 PM
  2. End of the World
    By nandoshotsauce in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 26th October 2012, 03:47 PM
  3. World Cup
    By Scalamere in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th February 2007, 09:19 PM
  4. Pet Parade
    By mctarris in forum Skateboarding
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 15th January 2007, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •