Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sustainable/Ethical skateboard companies

Default Sustainable/Ethical skateboard companies

Why are none of the big companies committed to sustainable/ethical supply and production? The whole concept of ethical or sustainable skateboard manufacturing and marketing is marginalised and considered kooky and irrelevant to the mainstream.

I think its only longboard companies that actually actually push this side of things properly. I know Deluxe/Real ran a few sideline projects that are sustainable but the mainstream hasnít changed.

Skateboards are the major contributor to maple deforestation apparently. And it seems to me like they are in massive over-supply. Skate clothing too...massive over-supply.

why is it like this? Do any of you want your skate product to be sustainable?

‹bermensch

Default Re: Sustainable/Ethical skateboard companies

Cost

Somebody did bamboo boards, right? Seems like something Almost would do.

I don't really care where my stuff originates from, it's all a bit complicated. But I don't mind that Patagonia is recycled. It's not like it looks like it is, unless it's something white in which case it's not a nice, bright, bleached white.

the problem i imagine with this is like anything, once it means using different sustainable materials and prodution methods etc have to change it bumps the price up of your product. more expensive product marketed at a smaller consumer group (the people who give a shit vs people who want cheapest prices) means profits drop in what i assume is a small profit margin industry anyway.

no company wants to go broke saving the planet. that said i try to buy eco stuff (less plastic, eco washing stuff etc. and it does cost more) when i can but i assume i am in the minority of consumers id imagine.

Lakai did shoes using recycled bits a few years back, but they were all jazzy colors for some reason. I had some of the MJ-2's and they felt the same as the plane non jazzy ones. I've been keen to get more of my clothes from ethical places but they do seem to cost a bit more. Howies seem pretty eco friendly nowadays.

I suppose getting stoned/drunk and smashing up pieces of 70 year old tree on city centre infrastructure isn't the most environmentally conscious activity of all time.

I've stopped using stuff with palm oil in it...

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    I've stopped using stuff with palm oil in it...

Is it hard? Considered this too

‹bermensch

In an effort to be more eco-conscious, my workplace has stopped ordering single-use cups with plastic lids for the coffee machine, they handed out re-usable cups to all of us. Which is great, apart from they're made of plastic, and mine broke on first use, so it's going in the bin. And it's actually an 'own branded' item we're selling in our shops, so we've had approximately 45,000 of these terrible low-quality pieces of shit manufactured. Might as well just drop them all in the middle of the Pacific Ocean now and save time. Still, there's less waxed-paper coffee cups in our trash now....

But palm oil can be produced sustainably. In fact it produces more oil than other vegetable crops. I think peanut and olive oil are regarded as the best overall from a health/sustainability perspective.

I used to get a magazine called 'Ethical Consumer' for a few years. It's really good and makes you think about how you spend your money.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/

Quote Originally Posted by telmernatorx View Post
    Stopped using Flora, basically. Actual butter is harder to spread on non-toasted items but it feels like it's worth it. Flora was the main thing, the other stuff isn't hard to find alternatives.

https://bambooskateboards.glopal.com/en-GB/

These look a bit pap. But they seem cheap. Does it defeat the object of being ethical if you have to get it shipped half way around the world?

It looks like some Welsh company called Oath were using them at one point but i cant find anything about them.

I think i'll wait until A Third Foot start making them.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway Twitty's BMX View Post
    But palm oil can be produced sustainably. In fact it produces more oil than other vegetable crops. I think peanut and olive oil are regarded as the best overall from a health/sustainability perspective.

I used to get a magazine called 'Ethical Consumer' for a few years. It's really good and makes you think about how you spend your money.

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/
    Oh, nice.

Also happy to admit that the banned Iceland ad did the trick for us.

Quote Originally Posted by telmernatorx View Post
    Yes, there is literally 1 chocolate brand without it, also almost every crisp or biscuit brand use it.

Go around a shop and read the labels on the back and about 70% of stuff has it.
    Quote Originally Posted by weed View Post
    im not a racist you just look like a potato

Depends if you eat a lot of chocolate, crisps and biscuits I suppose.

Thread Information