Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sustainable/Ethical skateboard companies

Default Re: Sustainable/Ethical skateboard companies

Holy Moly, Alibaba have loads of Chinese skate tat. And alot of trucks that look alot lite Thunders.

Quote Originally Posted by buildafire View Post
    Somebody did bamboo boards, right?
    I used to get sent packages out of the blue, from this company that made boards and clothing out of bamboo. They arenít around anymore and I was never 100% sure what the hook-up was about? I think I was their filmer? Without being asked, or ever filming anything for them.

Actually enjoi should be the ones making bamboo boards.

Ultra King

the only way to skateboard ethically and sustainably is do only do it once a month so you never need to buy a new board or shoes
    "The idea that skateboards are made for rollingÖ Busenitz understands this."

Quote Originally Posted by pervert View Post
    the only way to skateboard ethically and sustainably is do only do it once a month so you never need to buy a new board or shoes
    That is kind of true. The whole industry exists to promote destroying their product.

Goon

Shoe goo so my shoes, they last a minimum of 3 months skating 3 times a week and a powel flight deck, which for me is a massive saving for my pocket and natural resources as I'd have gone through at least 3/4 boards in the same time.
    Last edited by chopper; 9th February 2019 at 02:55 AM.

Volcom are pretty good on the sustainability front, as far as skate company clothing goes.

I do try to be a bit more aware of who Iím buying clothing from these days, I think the older Iíve got the more I understand the bigger picture of buying cheap clothing, outside of it just being a bit shit quality. But obviously with that awareness does come a cost increase
    poison...poison...TASTY FISH!

Goon

Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post
    Volcom are pretty good on the sustainability front, as far as skate company clothing goes.

I do try to be a bit more aware of who Iím buying clothing from these days, I think the older Iíve got the more I understand the bigger picture of buying cheap clothing, outside of it just being a bit shit quality. But obviously with that awareness does come a cost increase
    Quote Originally Posted by bearVSshark View Post

my work (www.cdp.net) is collecting data on all the biggest global companies sustainability efforts relating to climate, water stewardship and deforestastaion commodities (timber, beef, palm, soy) and providing this to investors and buyers to try and influcence the decisions they make to be better to suited to long term sustainbaility. Kering which is the parent company for Volcom (and Puma and many other brands) is actually quite progressive on this. Puma a few years ago broke new ground with a set of Environmental Profit and Loss (EP&L) accounts which looked beyond just the financials to actually take into account the environmental impact of their products (from design, manafacture and use through to disposal). Kering then took this idea and applied it to all their brands so Volcom was included in that. VF Corp (that owns Vans) and Nike, Adidas, Levis' and other big mainstream companies also report data to us and all the responses can be viewed via our site (need to register first - anyone feel free to pm me if they want more info about our work analysis etc).

i often wondered about the sustainability side of skateboard industry and wondered if there was re-planting tree schemes (eg a lot of paper/pulp companies and toilet paper brands pledge to plant more trees than they cut down) for maple suppliers?

Apparel and footwear industry broadly is hugely damaging to environment mostly for how much water and chemicals it uses, as so much is unregulated and west only makes a fuss when there is a disaster (eg factory collapse) as the main driver for procurement decisions still is price. it is the 'fast' fashion and widepsread acceptance of the throwaway culture that is also to blame. it is so much easier to just buy a new one rather than fix an old one (of whatever it is) with zero thought really going into what that actually means...

the west is still operating with an extractive mindset, we just take and take and take but dont give anything back. and even though all the problems are still well known we continue to live the same lifestyle and promote the same continuous and ever increasing consumption as the only measure of growth and success as if it is that consuming which holds the value of life, when it is this very lifestyle that will be the end of us unless something petty drastic happens in the next few years to truly shift course on a global scale.

glad to hear that individuals here are trying to do their bit, i try to as well but i eat meat on a daily basis and so i am basically a hypocrite as that is the single most effctive action any person can take to live a more sustainable life.

Also got to pitch for THTC clothing who really do things the correct way in terms of ethical production and sourcing of raw materials.

Thread Information